Like Tree192Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2010, 05:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Star Trek thread

Ok folks,saw some comments about the new ST movie and realised we didn't have a thread dedicated to all things Trek so here it is.I'm a huge trekkie/trekker myself so lets be having you,what do you think of the new film,the greatest thing since sliced bread or shoud J.J. Abrams and the writers be taken out and shot for effectively wiping out a lot of trek history and altering the future timeline/stories with the movie?

And on the subject of the films,what's everyones favourite? I'll go for the one and only Star Trek II:The Wrath Of Khan.Great action,a fantastic villian and one of the saddest endings of any film I've seen.brings a tear to my eye every single time I see it.
Old 17th January 2010, 06:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i see you've been reading me and nekro's convo. well here we go. Fave trek film Wrath of Khan followed by Voyage Home the First Contact, but i do have a soft spot for The motion Picture. Hated the new film though.
Old 17th January 2010, 08:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Undiscovered Country was my favourite with The Voyage Home a close second. Quite enjoyed Wrath Of Khan too.

I thought The Final Frontier was dire.
Old 17th January 2010, 09:20 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I do quite like The (Slow) Motion Picture and The Voyage Home is a great movie,funny without making you cringe but for me First Contact comes a very close second to KHAN and probably The Voyage Home third favourite.
Old 19th January 2010, 04:03 PM
Cultist in Training

I think Wise's TMP is easily best of Trek films...
The director's cut is great, and that DVD has one of best commentary tracks I've heard.

The new ST film is 2 hours of mindless fun... but Abrams directs in a TV-style, so (for me) it's terrible sci-fi cinema, and - as I wrote in my column for Interzone #226 (with this issue the mag returns to full-colour printing!) - it's the first truly 'disposable' Trek film.

I still think my idea for a series of 'standalone' TV-movies, each with a different all-new cast and different starships, would have been the best way to revive a 'dead' Trek franchise.
Old 8th August 2010, 03:55 PM
Cultist in Training

I'll agree that the new movie wasn't for us trekkers but as a stand alone action movie was OK.

For me the best will always be Khan followed by First Contact but I think the first throw away was Insurection.

Nemisis was a lot better after I read the "A Time To..." series of books published by Pocket Books

If in space no one can hear you scream...why do you always hear a spaceship go past???
Old 10th August 2010, 04:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Oh dear, I can't be a "Trekker" then. I've said it all my life. Well, I'm more n likely to be described as a Browncoat but that's another story for another day.

The last Trek film was, by far for the me, the best in the series. Yes, you call shout out words like "Blasphemy" "Sacrilege" and all that but I have a reason; it was made by people who give a sh and 1 t about great movie making and how to tell a story. The work that went into bringing back a long dead franchise was genius. I liked everything about it; the cast, score, story (well, most of the time), sound design, visual design (apart from teh Buck Rogers phasers that is).

Apart from Star Trek 2009, my other favourite has to be "Khaaaaaan!" followed by First Contact.
Old 12th August 2010, 10:36 AM
Ex-member
Good Trader

I must admit I don't mind the original series and some of the earlier films are ok, especially Wrath of Khan which I do like.

But Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine etc etc I hate with a passion, it annoys me immensely.

.....and don't get me started on Stargate!!!!!

To be honest the only sci-fi programme I really like is SPACE 1999 which incedentally is getting the blu ray treatment soon
Old 12th August 2010, 10:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi View Post
I must admit I don't mind the original series and some of the earlier films are ok, especially Wrath of Khan which I do like.

But Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine etc etc I hate with a passion, it annoys me immensely.

.....and don't get me started on Stargate!!!!!

To be honest the only sci-fi programme I really like is SPACE 1999 which incedentally is getting the blu ray treatment soon

Did you watch the reboot of Battlestar Galactica? Grim, but rewarding. Ironically, Stargate Universe had one of the most compelling Season finales I've seen. It was up there with Millenium Season 2 and some other season finales with that "WTF?" factor (that escape my addled brain right now). B5 season 3? I loved that Zha-Hadhum ending.
Old 14th August 2010, 04:58 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Oh dear, I can't be a "Trekker" then. I've said it all my life. Well, I'm more n likely to be described as a Browncoat but that's another story for another day.

The last Trek film was, by far for the me, the best in the series. Yes, you call shout out words like "Blasphemy" "Sacrilege" and all that but I have a reason; it was made by people who give a sh and 1 t about great movie making and how to tell a story. The work that went into bringing back a long dead franchise was genius. I liked everything about it; the cast, score, story (well, most of the time), sound design, visual design (apart from teh Buck Rogers phasers that is).

Apart from Star Trek 2009, my other favourite has to be "Khaaaaaan!" followed by First Contact.
It wasn't a bad movie at all, far from it, I just didn't like the way they re-wrote trek history. If this was a franchise kick off of an unknown story it would have been brilliant.

Browncoat???

If in space no one can hear you scream...why do you always hear a spaceship go past???

Like this? Share it using the links below!