LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2018, 08:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Not really.

Star wars had a lot of fans. But it was never especially respected. A lot of people in the industry hated what it did to major Hollywood productions. It was largely responsible for most of the 80s stuff like transformers which was essentially designed to get kids buying the merchandise.
It's the point of my post. Take away the fog of nostalgia and the whole franchise is a fairly basic space opera. Even in the 70s it was stealing most of its ideas from flash Gordon, lensman, and kurosawa. All of which are better than star wars. Ultimately it's a bit of fun but nothing more. Not worth losing ones shit over and easy to ignore if your not a fan of creative decisions
Speaking as someone who has never viewed Star Wars through a nostalgic lens, this reflects my thoughts and feelings quite well. To me, the films are no-more than disposable popcorn flicks meant for easy entertainment and as a method of shifting some merchandise. Just like any other summer blockbuster.

If you like them that's cool, if not then that's cool too. To elevate any of them onto some pedestal of greatness is just ludicrous though.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

Still star wars greatest legacy.....

6534f40c-80dc-457f-b5b5-78313d149381.jpg Battlebeyondthestars.jpg

220px-Turkishstarwarsposter.jpg The_Black_Hole_Poster_2.jpg
Old 15th April 2018, 08:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Speaking as someone who has never viewed Star Wars through a nostalgic lens, this reflects my thoughts and feelings quite well. To me, the films are no-more than disposable popcorn flicks meant for easy entertainment and as a method of shifting some merchandise. Just like any other summer blockbuster.

If you like them that's cool, if not then that's cool too. To elevate any of them onto some pedestal of greatness is just ludicrous though.
100% agree

I think the pics I posted above didn't come through but my favourite thing about star wars these days is starcrash. Turkish star wars, battle beyond the planet's st al.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I have to hand it to Lucas nosferatu. At least The Phantom Menace actually had a story that made sense. Do you actually see that in The Last Jedi made by Disney?

I think the words are...

a coherent plot. 20 yrs on, and Lucas shows Johnson how to actually deliver a Star Wars film.

That's quite an achievement, wouldn't you say?
Sense or not it's still a pile of shit and as mentioned the originals ripped of ideas off left and right and as said take the nostliga away and they just average space operas.

Far better films out there that deserve more credit than the frankly overrated star wars.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:29 PM
Cult Addict

I'm not defending 'Jedi' particularly. I'm just saying that Lucas's star wars is flawed too.
I re watched 'Clones' the other day and it was really underwhelming. Most of the film didn't work and due to the excessive use of green screen it didn't even feel as though any of the characters were even involved in the action taking place.

Personally i'd rather watch 'Rogue One' than any of the prequels.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Sense or not it's still a pile of shit and as mentioned the originals ripped of ideas off left and right and as said take the nostliga away and they just average space operas.

Far better films out there that deserve more credit than the frankly overrated star wars.
Well at least you came out of the closet trebor. It's good to see that you've admitted The Last Jedi is shit. So what. At least Lucas and co did it with style and told the Star Wars story with a beginning, middle, and an end.

I was never one for nostalgia rides trebor. I leave that to the butt hurt fans of the new Disney/Star Wars films. All I enjoy is a story told well. With characters you can believe in, and a story that actually makes some sense. Not hard to ask for is it?

Maybe it is. Better not ask Disney/Lucasfilm.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:41 PM
Cult Addict

Interestingly the death of Yoda in Empire is completely stolen from Frank capras List Horizon. The death of the high lama
Old 15th April 2018, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict

Well i never believed in Princess Amidala and little orphan Annie's love affair for
a second, talk about on screen chemistry.
He was obviously using his force powers to get her into the sack.
trebor8273 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haven't seen Last Jedi yet, but enjoyed the "original" 3 sw films, hated the prequals & really enjoyed Rogue One, why fans are still so passionate about something like this is beyond me. But then again as a teenager I obsessively watched Re Animator 1&2, Romero's dead trilogy & Fulci over and over obsessing over it the same way sw fans wonder if greedo shot first, so each to their own.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

I think you know you've been had trebor. It's embarrassing when you have to admit The Last Jedi was inferior, when you fully endorsed the movie a while back. I suppose I look at The Last Jedi as a comedy of errors trebor. This concept of the nostalgia ride applies more to the Disney/Star Wars farce than Star Wars made yesteryear.

Like this? Share it using the links below!