Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2017, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
I watched awakens for the 1st time last week,I fell asleep
i haven't watched it since i seen it at the cinema, but all i remember was arguing about it afterwards
Old 24th March 2017, 08:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star Wars spin-off will reveal how Han Solo got his name

It is legendary throughout Star Wars’s galaxy far, far away, but it seems that Han Solo’s name may not be his real one.*
According to Disney CEO Bob Iger, the forthcoming Han Solo prequel will reveal how Harrison Ford’s space smuggler acquired his name – suggesting that it hasn’t been with him from birth.
Iger divulged the detail, as reported by Deadline, during a talk at the University of Southern California Marshall School of Business, where he also hinted that film would see the first meeting between the character and his Wookiee sidekick, Chewbacca.
“[The film] picks up Han Solo when he was 18 years old and takes him through to when he was 24,” Iger said. “There were a few things that happened [that were] significant in Han Solo’s life, like acquiring a certain vehicle and meeting a certain Wookiee, that will happen in this film. But you’ll also discover how he got his name.”
The as-yet untitled Han Solo film will be directed by The Lego Movie creators Phil Lord and Christopher Miller and will star Hail, Caesar! actor Alden Ehrenreich as the young Solo. Earlier this week Woody Harrelson confirmed that he will appear in the film as Beckett, “a criminal and a mentor to Han”. Other stars in the film include Donald Glover (playing Lando Calrissian), Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton and Fleabag star Phoebe Waller-Bridge in a Chewbacca-style role.
Iger also touched on Star Wars: The Last Jedi, confirming that Carrie Fisher’s image will not be digitally altered or recreated in the film and the storyline will not be altered in the wake of her death.
“Carrie appears throughout [Episode] VIII,” he said. “We are not changing the film to deal with her passing. Her performance remains as it is.
“In Rogue One, we had some digital characters,” he added, referring to the appearances of the late Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin, and a younger version of Fisher’s character Princess Leia in the film. “We are not doing that with Carrie”.
Iger also discussed the future of the franchise, confirming that Disney and Lucasfilm are planning to continue Star Wars beyond the current trilogy. “We’ve got a creative team actually thinking about what could be another decade and a half of Star Wars stories,” he said
Old 25th March 2017, 12:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

To be honest, not very excited or intrigued by a Han Solo early years film. I think that I will really struggle to accept another actor in the role. Hopefully the end product will prove me wrong on both counts. btw Always happily accepted that Solo was his birth name! Would rather have seen a Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan film set between episodes III and IV.

Talking of Star Wars, Rogue One comes out two weeks on Monday, am VERY excited to see it as I didn't catch it at the cinema. Am on a tight budget nowadays and can't afford cinema outings - waiting to buy the blu-ray is much cheaper than buying tickets for both the wife and myself (I am a Sainsbury's employee so I get a 10% discount and also use up collected nectar points).

Am especially curious to check out a cgi Peter Cushing (crazy!) and more Darth Vader is obviously welcome.
Old 25th March 2017, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
To be honest, not very excited or intrigued by a Han Solo early years film. I think that I will really struggle to accept another actor in the role. Hopefully the end product will prove me wrong on both counts. btw Always happily accepted that Solo was his birth name! Would rather have seen a Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan film set between episodes III and IV.
I feel the same way regarding Solo.

Another McGregor / Obi-Wan film would be much better, i agree.

The Force Awakens was just as bad as any of the prequel trilogy once the nostalgia factor of seeing Han, Chewie, Leia, Luke and the Falcon is taken away. In fact as far as being disappointing, i'd say it was the worst of the lot.

Like you i haven't seen Rogue One, but i have high hopes.
Old 25th March 2017, 02:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I feel the same way regarding Solo.

Another McGregor / Obi-Wan film would be much better, i agree.

The Force Awakens was just as bad as any of the prequel trilogy once the nostalgia factor of seeing Han, Chewie, Leia, Luke and the Falcon is taken away. In fact as far as being disappointing, i'd say it was the worst of the lot.

Like you i haven't seen Rogue One, but i have high hopes.
Attack of the Clones is my personal least favourite, much as I like seeing Christopher Lee and the Jango Fett vs Obi-Wan confrontations on Kamino and in space. I was also pretty disappointed by Force Awakens - I still enjoy it but it's nowhere near as good as it was hyped up to be. Hopefully Rogue One and The Last Jedi will impress more. Rogue One re-uses Jimmy Smits as Senator Organa which is a nice acknowledgement of the existence of the prequels, so hopefully a McGregor/Obi-Wan film isn't just a pipe dream.

My Star Wars rankings to date:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back
2 - A New Hope
3 - Return of the Jedi
4 - Revenge of the Sith
5 - The Force Awakens/The Phantom Menace (tied)
7 - Attack of the Clones

Am hoping that Rogue One will take the #4 spot, am quite excited to see a prequel that seamlessly ties into A New Hope.
Old 25th March 2017, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well apparently I'm watching R1 later as a mate is unfussed about legality
What he doesn't know is that The War In Space is going on first

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th March 2017, 03:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post

My Star Wars rankings to date:

1 - The Empire Strikes Back
2 - A New Hope
3 - Return of the Jedi
4 - Revenge of the Sith
5 - The Force Awakens/The Phantom Menace (tied)
7 - Attack of the Clones

Am hoping that Rogue One will take the #4 spot, am quite excited to see a prequel that seamlessly ties into A New Hope.
That ranking is the same as mine except i thought The Phantom Menace was better than The Force Awakens - Darth Maul / Duel of the Fates is easily superior to anything in TFA in my opinion. I also like the political goings on, but i think i'm on my own there.
Old 26th March 2017, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Well apparently I'm watching R1 later as a mate is unfussed about legality
What he doesn't know is that The War In Space is going on first
Rogue One (2016, Gareth Edwards)
Everyone who I know who had seen it said "YOU" will like it
Unfussed about the whole thing as I am
A few massive disturbances aside
If your a Warhead at all (my own moniker )
SEE THIS FILM.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th March 2017, 08:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gary Barlow to star as Stormtrooper in new Star Wars film
Old 27th March 2017, 09:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

^ Funny how everyone is a 'massive' Star Wars fan all of a sudden.
Anyway, that news is nearly a year old so hopefully this 'massive' fan had forgotten about it.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!