Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2017, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The last Transformers film flopped Stateside only grossing $130m.

It did $604m on a $217m budget altogether which is okay but not when you consider the last couple before it made well over a billion worldwide.
Paramount certainly won't sink with that loss. But I do like how they call $217m a budget. In my day a budget was £5 pounds to spend on sweets and a trip to the VHS rental shop.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I'm thinking the same, watched force awakens not long ago and really didn't enjoy it as much as the first two times, think it will get worse with each viewing.
Each time I've rewatched Force Awakens, I've disliked it more. Oppositely, each time I've rewatched Rogue One, I've had a much better time (3 viewings to date).

I think the problem with TFA is that it has a very weak second half whereas RO had a rather weak first half which dramatically improved.

You tend to remember a film's later stages more prominently and can forgive any earlier mis-steps.

This is a good video that is well worth watching imo:

btw Liking Rogue One more than Force Awakens does actually give me some hope for the franchise. It demonstrates that Disney MAY be more risk taking and braver with future installments. I hope so anyway - fingers crossed for Last Jedi!
Old 13th September 2017, 12:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
And Star Wars is just one culprit of this in terms of stretching it out till redundancy. Comic book cinematic universes and the Transformer films are going the same way. Its more a question of how long until people will just not care.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Transformers films i hope sooner than later please one was one to many .
Same goes for fast and furious what we on 8 and their going be a 9
Old 13th September 2017, 12:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Strange I've just put that up about fast amd furious and funnily enough 2 min later I find some good news and bad news
Good news their caping it at 10,
Bad news their to be a spin of

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...harlize-theron

Yes I'm aware article few month old bit still this year ..

The continuing success of the Fast and Furious car action franchise has resulted in plans for a spin-off movie featuring Dwayne Johnson, Charlize Theron and Jason Statham,

According to Variety, producing studio Universal have hired Chris Morgan – who worked on the last six films in the series – to write a screenplay for a project that would “revolve around Johnson and Statham teaming up to go after Theron’s character”. Johnson’s character, diplomatic service agent Luke Hobbs, first appeared in Fast Five, while Statham’s Deckard Shaw, after a brief appearance in the end credits of Fast & Furious 6, was the chief antagonist in 2015’s Furious 7. Theron’s cyberterrorist character Cipher is a recent addition to the series, appearing in the recent eighth instalment alongside Johnson, Statham and Vin Diesel.

Plans for a spin-off have been bolstered by the latest film’s exceptional box office results: The Fate of the Furious (AKA Fast & Furious 8) has achieved the number one position in the US for the second week in a row with a current total of $163m (£127m), and has added a further $745m internationally (led by $193m in China) for a global total of $907m.

Series producer Neal Moritz recently confirmed the intention to cap the series – which has so far made more than $4.8bn wordwide – at 10 films, saying: “We kind of have the ending point of the franchise, but we don’t know the in-betweens yet ... the plan is to make two more movies.”
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Transformers films i hope sooner than later please one was one to many
Well sorry, 'cause I honestly think that the very first Transformers film was an extremely well crafted action-comedy film that was perfect family entertainment. I like it a lot - I even own #2 and #3 as 'guilty' pleasures.

**I'll get my coat**

btw No interest in the later Transformers films. Once the comedic (and fun) Shia Lebeouf influence was completely removed, I lost all interest.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 06:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Well sorry, 'cause I honestly think that the very first Transformers film was an extremely well crafted action-comedy film that was perfect family entertainment. I like it a lot - I even own #2 and #3 as 'guilty' pleasures.

**I'll get my coat**

btw No interest in the later Transformers films. Once the comedic (and fun) Shia Lebeouf influence was completely removed, I lost all interest.
No need to apologise we all have our own taste , I'm pretty sure I'll like some films you'll detest..each to their own just not my taste .
Old 13th September 2017, 08:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post

**I'll get my coat**

I think the first two Transformers films were great fun. Dark of the Moon was utter shittypoop. In fact I'd argue that it was the lack of Megan Fox rather than whashisface that's the problem.
I've yet to tackle the Marky Mark film.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:59 AM
Cult Master

Meanwhile, back at the 'Star Wars' thread...

Star Wars Episode IX delayed until December 2019

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th September 2017, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Meanwhile, back at the 'Star Wars' thread...

Star Wars Episode IX delayed until December 2019
I don't wonder to be honest. It's gonna take some time to come up with something remotely original to break the mold of The Force Awakens. Maybe Abrams will take some advice from Kasdan with the title of episode 9. Call it The Revenge of Kylo Ren.
Old 13th September 2017, 12:29 PM
Cult Addict

I thought Force Awakens was excellent. Hell Lucas tried something different with the prequels and no one liked them.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!