Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2017, 03:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I’m seeing The Last Jedi tomorrow. I’m all for a film that has the balls to do something radically different to any previous entry in the franchise. Something that moves it forward to potentially exciting new vistas, but has the right balance to have enough callbacks to the spirit of the original trilogy, to keep it from having a sense of disconnect to those films, but without the heavy-handed references to what it is tied to, as The Force Awakens had.

I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good as a set-up for everything to follow that successfully relaunched the brand, but it just played it too safe pandering to nostalgia with the aforementioned overused blatent references, and was a near beat for beat remake of A New Hope. This is what annoyed me about it. It’s at least better than the first two prequels, but I think Revenge of the Sith is superior. I think Rogue One is the only addition to be on par with the original trilogy, and just pips Return of the Jedi to make it into my top 3 Star Wars films.

My current rankings before seeing The Last Jedi:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th December 2017, 06:04 AM
Cult Master

Take what you want from this, but apparently the working title for Episode IX (due in 2019) is 'Black Diamond'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th December 2017, 09:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I’m seeing The Last Jedi tomorrow. I’m all for a film that has the balls to do something radically different to any previous entry in the franchise. Something that moves it forward to potentially exciting new vistas, but has the right balance to have enough callbacks to the spirit of the original trilogy, to keep it from having a sense of disconnect to those films, but without the heavy-handed references to what it is tied to, as The Force Awakens had.

I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good as a set-up for everything to follow that successfully relaunched the brand, but it just played it too safe pandering to nostalgia with the aforementioned overused blatent references, and was a near beat for beat remake of A New Hope. This is what annoyed me about it. It’s at least better than the first two prequels, but I think Revenge of the Sith is superior. I think Rogue One is the only addition to be on par with the original trilogy, and just pips Return of the Jedi to make it into my top 3 Star Wars films.

My current rankings before seeing The Last Jedi:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
exactly how i would rate them and i would put last jedi in the same place as return of the jedi
Old 19th December 2017, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Take what you want from this, but apparently the working title for Episode IX (due in 2019) is 'Black Diamond'

So, it's not Returning to Return of the Jedi then?

Damn.
Old 19th December 2017, 05:08 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I’m seeing The Last Jedi tomorrow.
Me too

Quote:
I think Rogue One is the only addition to be on par with the original trilogy
Apart from the CGI mess of Peter Cushing and Carrie fisher in the film I liked it But I would have liked it so much better had they not CGI'ed them both,For me that was disrespectful to both of them has they have passed away.
Old 19th December 2017, 05:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Me too

Apart from the CGI mess of Peter Cushing and Carrie fisher in the film I liked it But I would have liked it so much better had they not CGI'ed them both,For me that was disrespectful to both of them has they have passed away.
Fisher hadn't. They wanted to show her younger to tie in with A New Hope ,that was all.
Old 19th December 2017, 05:25 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
They wanted to show her younger to tie in with A New Hope ,that was all.
They could have easily used an outtake from the previous films or just show a back view or sideview there was no need to CGI it!! The CGI Cushing was bad enough.
Old 19th December 2017, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
They could have easily used an outtake from the previous films or just show a back view or sideview there was no need to CGI it!! The CGI Cushing was bad enough.
That wasn't what you said though. You said it was disrespectful as she was dead when she wasn't. Two totally different points.

Personally i didn't mind the CGI characters. I think it made it a better film. So i won't continue this and just agree to disagree.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th December 2017, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran

Went to see The Last Jedi this evening. It was ok, too up and down though, the highs were awesome and some of the production design was flawless (Snoke’s chambers) but between the highs was purely mediocre.
That being said though, Adam Driver gives me the funny tummy feelings

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th December 2017, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Went to see The Last Jedi this evening. It was ok, too up and down though, the highs were awesome and some of the production design was flawless (Snoke’s chambers) but between the highs was purely mediocre.
That being said though, Adam Driver gives me the funny tummy feelings
I really don't know why Rey want him to put his top on, silly cow!
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!