Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 03:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
agree with the Inconsistencies, the thing about the kiss was just the usual backlash after the episode was showing, but i think stuff will be explained when the show comes back and it has already been given a second season. they will have to explain what happened to the technology of the ship spore drive as its far ahead of anything before or since
The jist of what i read sounds like the series hasn't been written by anyone with a love of Star Trek.

That's why Doctor Who worked so well when it came back because Russell T Davies was a fan (like Stephen Moffat) who knew what he was writing about and was also a highly accomplished television writer as well. He knew he had to treat it as something brand new only letting brief snippets about the classic series enter story lines. Aside from The Doctor, Sonic Screwdriver and the TARDIS we got no names from the classic series until episode 6 which introduced the Daleks.

Moffat's tenure took it in the other direction and made it way too self referential and that appealed to fans but turned away the viewing public a little.
hivemind likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought The Last Jedi was a much stronger film than The Force Awakens as so much of it felt fresh, funny and imaginative rather than a retread of what had gone before.
Quite a statement to make, considering The Last Jedi had elements from both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Not much really felt fresh or particularly imaginative either, but rather lacking any originality that remotely sets the film apart from it's original counter parts. Just look at the final battle on the planet Crait. How MORE The Empire Strikes Back can you honestly get. What totally amazes me is how people who watch these new films can actually call them different and fresh.

The mind just boggles.

Answers on a postcard please.
Old 20th December 2017, 03:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Quite a statement to make, considering The Last Jedi had elements from both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Not much really felt fresh or particularly imaginative either, but rather lacking any originality that remotely sets the film apart from it's original counter parts. Just look at the final battle on the planet Crait. How MORE The Empire Strikes Back can you honestly get. What totally amazes me is how people who watch these new films can actually call them different and fresh.

The mind just boggles.

Answers on a postcard please.
As I said, I'm not a massive fan, don't own any of the films and therefore don't know them very well. It has probably been over five years since I've seen any of the original trilogy so I can't tell you exactly why it felt fresh and innovative, more so than The Force Awakens. It was more a feeling than a critical appraisal of narrative and character arcs as I'm in absolutely no position to do the latter. I honestly didn't notice any similarities in the same way I did with TFA and A New Hope.
Old 20th December 2017, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The jist of what i read sounds like the series hasn't been written by anyone with a love of Star Trek.

That's why Doctor Who worked so well when it came back because Russell T Davies was a fan (like Stephen Moffat) who knew what he was writing about and was also a highly accomplished television writer as well. He knew he had to treat it as something brand new only letting brief snippets about the classic series enter story lines. Aside from The Doctor, Sonic Screwdriver and the TARDIS we got no names from the classic series until episode 6 which introduced the Daleks.

Moffat's tenure took it in the other direction and made it way too self referential and that appealed to fans but turned away the viewing public a little.
The same can be said of many franchise series that have come back since 00's. Disney have taken a scorched earth policy to eliminate all the important characters, and insert a more politicaly correct set of characters that you just cannot really relate too. Star Trek is the same now as Star Wars. Characters you can't really relate to, and stories that don't follow the principals of what went before.
Old 20th December 2017, 03:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The same can be said of many franchise series that have come back since 00's. Disney have taken a scorched earth policy to eliminate all the important characters, and insert a more politicaly correct set of characters that you just cannot really relate too. Star Trek is the same now as Star Wars. Characters you can't really relate to, and stories that don't follow the principals of what went before.
You can dismiss it if you want to, but going by this article and the responses to the Instagram posts, the films resonate with people who like the characters.

https://www.indy100.com/article/rose...walker-8118551
Old 20th December 2017, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
You can dismiss it if you want to, but going by this article and the responses to the Instagram posts, the films resonate with people who like the characters.

https://www.indy100.com/article/rose...walker-8118551

I think this just sums up The Last Jedi for me. Special thanks to Mark Hamill for saying it like it REALLY IS.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 20th December 2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Amended the URL so it works on computers and phones.
Old 20th December 2017, 04:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIY-PsHrj9A

I think this just sums up The Last Jedi for me. Special thanks to Mark Hamill for saying it like it REALLY IS.
100% agree. The Mouse is not Star Wars.

There you go Treb. Fanboys like Mark Hammill have no idea.
hivemind likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 05:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quote:

For me, I thought the ending works because that character arc is done. Luke is basically saying "Mission accomplished. I'm at peace."

That said, the character has not been an integral part of my life for 40 years!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
For me, I thought the ending works because that character arc is done. Luke is basically saying "Mission accomplished. I'm at peace."

That said, the character has not been an integral part of my life for 40 years!

I genuinely have to feel sorry for Mark Hamill. On one hand he tells it like it is, but on the other hand he has to promote an alternative version of Star Wars seen through the eyes of Disney/Lucasfilm.

It's now like entering The Twilight Zone. Two Star Wars universe's completely opposed to each other.
Old 20th December 2017, 05:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I genuinely have to feel sorry for Mark Hamill. On one hand he tells it like it is, but on the other hand he has to promote an alternative version of Star Wars seen through the eyes of Disney/Lucasfilm.

It's now like entering The Twilight Zone. Two Star Wars universe's completely opposed to each other.
I suppose it's weird for him having made several films with George Lucas and now movies with other directors and writers who are trying to be faithful to those from the late 1970s and early '80s and take the characters and events in a new direction. It's a tough balancing act so it's understandable that some people will be upset/disappointed/angry (delete/add to as applicable).

Like this? Share it using the links below!