Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 06:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I suppose it's weird for him having made several films with George Lucas and now movies with other directors and writers who are trying to be faithful to those from the late 1970s and early '80s and take the characters and events in a new direction. It's a tough balancing act so it's understandable that some people will be upset/disappointed/angry (delete/add to as applicable).
What grates with me is the fact there's no need for them. Lucas gave us his brilliant trilogy then the prequels. That was enough. All these new films are doing is dragging the original trilogy into the dirt. Had Lucas wanted to move the story along or had more story to tell then he would have. That's why to me the Star Wars series is 6 films then it ended.

I did rewatch the original trilogy again earlier this year but at no point thought 'now i'll watch The Force Awakens'.
hivemind likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What grates with me is the fact there's no need for them. Lucas gave us his brilliant trilogy then the prequels. That was enough. All these new films are doing is dragging the original trilogy into the dirt. Had Lucas wanted to move the story along or had more story to tell then he would have. That's why to me the Star Wars series is 6 films then it ended.

I did rewatch the original trilogy again earlier this year but at no point thought 'now i'll watch The Force Awakens'.
what did you and hive think of rouge one? instead of doing another triogy which has upset some, maybe they should of just went with the "star wars story"

i could be wrong but i think most including die hard fans enjoyed it apart from the awful Cushing CGI and think most of us have wanted to know about Han in his early days if done right
Old 20th December 2017, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
I suppose it's weird for him having made several films with George Lucas and now movies with other directors and writers who are trying to be faithful to those from the late 1970s and early '80s
All these new films represent how unfaithful they are to Lucas's original vision of what Star Wars represented in the mid 1970 to early 1980's. I've never seen such a complete mess in my life.

The only reason I can see is that Disney have a set agenda to how they see the vision of Star Wars, not how Lucas envisioned it. There's a very clear distinction between what was developed and created in all six films made by George Lucas and Lucasfilm back then. The Disneyfied Star Wars of today is very PC and has very cold characters that you just don't feel for in both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. No wonder Disney executives turned their noses up at what Lucas was developing in Ep's 7, 8 and 9.

Lucas wanted to move away from Han Solo, Luke Skywalker etc. And considered creating a new cast of characters with a new threat. Plus having a more grounded story arc, rather than having the plot endlessly move all over the place, with very little inter-relationship with the characters that we see in The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens.

All I see is this alternate trilogy treading on old ground by copying or taking elements from the original films without giving what went before any respect what so ever.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

There is no narrative need but, as with the prequels, money talks! If something is going to turn a profit at the box office, that's a bigger factor in whether it is made and released than whether it has artistic merit.

The original three films aren't things I hold dear or are particularly special to me, so I happily watch the new films (including Rogue One, which I thought was a very well made, entertaining and interesting film in its own right) as long as they are good and entertaining pieces for adventure sci-fi. For the most part, they have been.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
All these new films represent how unfaithful they are to Lucas's original vision of what Star Wars represented in the mid 1970 to early 1980's. I've never seen such a complete mess in my life.

The only reason I can see is that Disney have a set agenda to how they see the vision of Star Wars, not how Lucas envisioned it. There's a very clear distinction between what was developed and created in all six films made by George Lucas and Lucasfilm back then. The Disneyfied Star Wars of today is very PC and has very cold characters that you just don't feel for in both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. No wonder Disney executives turned their noses up at what Lucas was developing in Ep's 7, 8 and 9.

Lucas wanted to move away from Han Solo, Luke Skywalker etc. And considered creating a new cast of characters with a new threat. Plus having a more grounded story arc, rather than having the plot endlessly move all over the place, with very little inter-relationship with the characters that we see in The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens.

All I see is this alternate trilogy treading on old ground without giving what went before any respect what so ever.
With some exceptions, your opinion is completely at odds with Mark Kermode's.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-with-this-one

I've just read this article and Anna Smith really like something you seem to have disliked: the strong female characters which have always been a feature of Star Wars films.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...n-bechdel-test
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
what did you and hive think of rouge one? instead of doing another triogy which has upset some, maybe they should of just went with the "star wars story"

i could be wrong but i think most including die hard fans enjoyed it apart from the awful Cushing CGI and think most of us have wanted to know about Han in his early days if done right
I didn't mind Rogue One. There's some gripes with the story in places, but I thought the CGI was rather decent. But like I said before on here in the past, how could you really go wrong with the story. Some of my friends are big on Star Wars, and felt that the story really didn't need to be told at all. Better left to the imagination. Rogue One is ok.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I didn't mind Rogue One. There's some gripes with the story in places, but I thought the CGI was rather decent. But like I said before on here in the past, how could you really go wrong with the story. Some of my friends are big on Star Wars, and felt that the story really didn't need to be told at all. Better left to the imagination. Rogue One is ok.
i wonder how fans like yourself would of felt if they went with knights of the old republic trilogy which had rumours at one point, with no beloved characters etc i could see it not stepping on people's toes.

i always found it strange that technology has not improved much in the 2000 years between old republic and the trilogy
Old 20th December 2017, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
With some exceptions, your opinion is completely at odds with Mark Kermode's.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-with-this-one

I've just read this article and Anna Smith really like something you seem to have disliked: the strong female characters which have always been a feature of Star Wars films.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...n-bechdel-test
I suppose listening to an expert telling you something is good or great is better than trusting your own instincts when you see the film for yourself.

I always say....trust the gut instinct Nosferatu.

95% of the time you're proven right. And in this case, I think The Last Jedi deserves it's status as a rather pale imitation of what went before.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I thought Rogue One was decent. However only because of the storyline about the Death Star, Vader, Tarkin etc. Remove the classic stuff and i wouldn't bother with it. I had no affinity for the new characters and didn't care that they were all killed off.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I suppose listening to an expert telling you something is good or great is better than trusting your own instincts when you see the film for yourself.

I always say....trust the gut instinct Nosferatu.

95% of the time you're proven right. And in this case, I think The Last Jedi deserves it's status as a rather pale imitation of what went before.
Nos and Mark Kermode are practically joined at the hip concerning certain films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!