Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 08:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post

RIP STAR WARS. It was great whilst it lasted

1977-05
Sorry but that's just hyperbole. Star wars survives so long as people are prepared to see it. The films simply cannot replicate the experience of seeing the originals even if they were flawless masterpieces.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
the same can be said about the emperor, he had no real back story in the original trilogy all you knew he was the emperor and Vaders master, that was it, yep i would of like them to explore more about Snoke, but i glad they did what they did so Kylo Ren can move on as a character, a book will be done about him or more will be explained in the next film.
By the end of Jedi you knew as much about the emperor as you did in the first film. As the star wars films were based on Saturday morning serials the villains were all archetypes rather than rounded characters. Just as luke Skywalker was supposed to be the everyman on a hero's journey. It's storyteĺling stripped down to its most basic.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
No. I just think some of the reactions to last Jedi have been a little silly. From a technical standpoint there's no criticism of the film I wouldn't also direct at the original films or the prequels.

On online forums it's been a little bit of a circle jerk for people to shit on a film that's a continuation of a franchise that had run out of steam years ago.
The original trilogy and the prequels did exactly what Lucas wanted. The franchise certainly hadn't run out of steam at all.

The negative reactions to The Last Jedi have been very justifiable for a film that doesn't even deserve to be called a Star Wars film. One thing I can assure you Keirarts, once the dust has settled with The Last Jedi, you'll find even more people realising just how rubbish this film truly is. In some cases it might take some people years to come to the realisation than others. Certainly did for TFA's.

There's no merit in supporting a turkey of a film like this, no matter how much money The Last Jedi takes at the Box Office.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
By the end of Jedi you knew as much about the emperor as you did in the first film. As the star wars films were based on Saturday morning serials the villains were all archetypes rather than rounded characters. Just as luke Skywalker was supposed to be the everyman on a hero's journey. It's storyteĺling stripped down to its most basic.
part of me think all the hate to the new movies is nostalgia goggles, if these movies had been made first and it was the original trilogy made later, i expect to hear the same arguments.

but at the end of the day as even Mark Hamil has said its only a movie
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's no merit in supporting a turkey of a film like this, no matter how much money The Last Jedi takes at the Box Office.
You could quite easily flip that on its head and say "There's no merit in disparaging a thoroughly entertaining and well crafted film like this, no matter how positive the critical reviews and comments from casual film fans."

Like I said, it's a film which has polarised opinion, so it's probably a good idea that everyone takes a deep breath before posting something which they may regret.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
You could quite easily flip that on its head and say "There's no merit in disparaging a thoroughly entertaining and well crafted film like this, no matter how positive the critical reviews and comments from casual film fans."

Like I said, it's a film which has polarised opinion, so it's probably a good idea that everyone takes a deep breath before posting something which they may regret.
lets not forget there are far more that like the film than don't who are very vocal minority compared to those who do.

it might not be star wars that die hard fans want, but it is a very well made movie that tried something different which is refreshing for a big blockbuster.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Sorry but that's just hyperbole. Star wars survives so long as people are prepared to see it. The films simply cannot replicate the experience of seeing the originals even if they were flawless masterpieces.
May be hyperbole to you, but it isn't for me.
Old 20th December 2017, 08:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The original trilogy and the prequels did exactly what Lucas wanted. The franchise certainly hadn't run out of steam at all.

The negative reactions to The Last Jedi have been very justifiable for a film that doesn't even deserve to be called a Star Wars film. One thing I can assure you Keirarts, once the dust has settled with The Last Jedi, you'll find even more people realising just how rubbish this film truly is. In some cases it might take some people years to come to the realisation than others. Certainly did for TFA's.

Bollocks.

The film did nothing for you. That's fine. No film will appeal to everyone..

But plenty of people like last Jedi. It's a well constructed and reasonably thoughtful and progressive entry in the franchise. It's made by a director who is well regarded in the industry.

If Disney scraps star wars. Pretends it never happened. Closes down the theme parks and hands the series back to Lucas I'd bet cash money we'd be here having the same discussions once Lucas had turned out three more of his 'vision

The people complaining will never get the star wars they want. It's not possible to make that film.

All the critics did was give an opinion on the film itself as a standalone product. It's pretty hard to factor in the impact of 40 years of fandom with tie ins, cartoons, the Christmas special (yes no one's forgetting that). Or any of the other expanded universe stuff Disney wisely disregarded.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Palpatine/emperor certainly does have a back story.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Bollocks.

The film did nothing for you. That's fine. No film will appeal to everyone..

But plenty of people like last Jedi. It's a well constructed and reasonably thoughtful and progressive entry in the franchise. It's made by a director who is well regarded in the industry.

If Disney scraps star wars. Pretends it never happened. Closes down the theme parks and hands the series back to Lucas I'd bet cash money we'd be here having the same discussions once Lucas had turned out three more of his 'vision

The people complaining will never get the star wars they want. It's not possible to make that film.

All the critics did was give an opinion on the film itself as a standalone product. It's pretty hard to factor in the impact of 40 years of fandom with tie ins, cartoons, the Christmas special (yes no one's forgetting that). Or any of the other expanded universe stuff Disney wisely disregarded.
George is probably sitting at home thinking thank god i don't have to put it with this carp any more, its someone else's problem now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!