Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Where will the Disney trilogy sit in say, 30 yrs.
Trilogy? You jest sir!

There'll be at least 30 of them in 30 years. One a year isn't it?
trebor8273 and hivemind like this.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In other words, dumb yourself down.
Well that's probably true, watching back the future and let's be honest you dont need to be Doc Brown too enjoy it, hell even Biff could.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Trilogy? You jest sir!

There'll be at least 30 of them in 30 years. One a year isn't it?
Lol.

I thought it would be infinity and beyond the way Bob Iger and his associates were talking.

I'll probably be dead by then, and Disney will still be churning inferior Star Wars crap out. Oh Lord!
Old 20th December 2017, 11:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm away now.

I'd just like to thank everyone who posted on this subject throughout the day. There have been some fine posts, discussions won and lost and good points made throughout.

Now if only we could do it about Gialli.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
I'm away now.

I'd just like to thank everyone who posted on this subject throughout the day. There have been some fine posts, discussions won and lost and good points made throughout.

Now if only we could do it about Gialli.
Cheers boss.
Old 21st December 2017, 08:03 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You haven't actually replied to my post Nos, just gone on about spectacle. I was asking how children see this film and if it has the wow factor? You wouldn't know this as like myself i don't think you have children.

Plus to mention any of the films you have done in the same breath as a Star Wars film means you don't appear to acknowledge how much of a money spinner / phenomenon the series is. I don't think the shops are full of Paddington or The Disaster Artist merchandise.
I thought I had addressed that, but seems I haven't. Going from my experiences in cinema, it seems children are perhaps a bit more blasé about films with big action sequences and lots of CGI than a few decades ago because that's now an accepted part of what makes an action film. It's not the exception to the rule, but the norm.

I know the merchandise and money is a huge part because I was it a cinema with children wearing Star Wars clothing and carrying toy light sabres! This is something which every franchise will aim to maximise and I wouldn't be surprised if many children have or want a Paddington Bear – I did when I was young. The same will go for the merchandising which accompanies the release of a new Pixar movie.

On the flipside of this are the end of year 'Best Film' lists which are dominated by films which you will only catch in a Picturehouse and Curzon cinema, so I have had almost no opportunity to see most of them.
Old 21st December 2017, 08:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought I had addressed that, but seems I haven't. Going from my experiences in cinema, it seems children are perhaps a bit more blasé about films with big action sequences and lots of CGI than a few decades ago because that's now an accepted part of what makes an action film. It's not the exception to the rule, but the norm.

I know the merchandise and money is a huge part because I was it a cinema with children wearing Star Wars clothing and carrying toy light sabres! This is something which every franchise will aim to maximise and I wouldn't be surprised if many children have or want a Paddington Bear – I did when I was young. The same will go for the merchandising which accompanies the release of a new Pixar movie.

On the flipside of this are the end of year 'Best Film' lists which are dominated by films which you will only catch in a Picturehouse and Curzon cinema, so I have had almost no opportunity to see most of them.
paddington bear , bear is supposed to be very popular item
Old 21st December 2017, 11:15 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

You can't really compare Paddington toys to Star Wars. There are 6 pages of Paddington toys and games on Amazon and 400 pages for Star Wars. They aren't in the same league. However it's clear from what you said about the clothes and light sabres that it obviously does capture their imagination like no other series of films.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
All these new films represent how unfaithful they are to Lucas's original vision of what Star Wars represented in the mid 1970 to early 1980's. I've never seen such a complete mess in my life.
We should never forget that George Lucas vision was Star Wars (before it was subtitled A New Hope) only going to be ONE FILM as it had a beginning a middle and an end,At not no point was Lucas's vision or intentions was to make sequels and prequels.People actually believed Lucas was going to make loads and loads of Star Wars films when in fact this was not the case at all.
Old 21st December 2017, 04:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You can't really compare Paddington toys to Star Wars. There are 6 pages of Paddington toys and games on Amazon and 400 pages for Star Wars. They aren't in the same league. However it's clear from what you said about the clothes and light sabres that it obviously does capture their imagination like no other series of films.
There wasn't a comparison, just an observation that every major studio film tries to maximise its profits through merchandise, whether it is toys, wallpaper, videogames, clothing, soundtrack albums or duvet covers.

Also, it wasn't just children in Star Wars clothing and toy light sabres as when I was leaving there were three adults in the foyer posing for photographs (not sure if they were fans or paid by Cineworld) dressed as a Storm Trooper, Chewbacca and Darth Vader! There may have been another in the group but I can't be sure and, if there were four of them, don't know what character they were betraying. It seems there is something about Star Wars which captured the imagination of children and adults in 1977 and is passed on with every generation as parents introduce the films to their children and young relatives (or children of friends) which no other film series can match.

Like this? Share it using the links below!