Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2017, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I would expect a hit piece like that from The Telegraph.

In a clip that will likely provide ammunition to the far-too-emotionally-involved fanboys petitioning to have Star Wars: The Last Jedi erased from existence. The Telegraph

I suggest you look at the fallout on the net, especially YT. I see plenty of people who certainly aren't "fans boys" or girls for that matter totally angered by what they went to see. Star Wars wasn't just a film. The film trilogy changed the landscape of sci-fi film making, and Lucas created a more coherent series of films compaired to the abomination of these Disneyfied films. These new films are cold and have no emotion at all. You don't connect to the characters at all. Obviously the writer of the article likes his Star Wars emotionally cold with plenty of political correctness added in for good measure.

"I said to [director Rian Johnson], 'Jedis don't give up,'" Hamill reveals. "I mean, even if [Luke] had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup, but if he made a mistake, he would try to right that wrong, so right there, we had a fundamental difference." The Telegraph

There's a fine truth indeed. When I saw Luke Skywalker chuck his lightsabber over his shoulder, that's when I knew the character of Luke wasn't the Luke Skywalker of old. Disney have turned Hamill's iconic Luke into a highly bland and uncaring character. Unable to show emotion or really care about who he is. You cannot relate to Luke on any level. It seems what went before doesn't even compute at all. This is a Disneyfied version of Luke.

Luke's resistance to joining, uh, the Resistance, has been a particular bone of contention for certain Star Wars fans, who have been at the centre of a backlash against the film since its release. The Telegraph

LOL! "certain fans" I've been seeing plenty of supposed fans of these new Disneyfied films who liked The Force Awakens, but have now come to realise they've been taken for a ride. Luke's character was a pivital part to the end of the film. These people expected Luke to play a much bigger role in The Last Jedi, but got shortchanged with this new film.

"It's not my story anymore, it's somebody else's story". The Telegraph

Yeah! That's about right Mark. It's Disney with it's cold, calculating take on the Star Wars universe.

"In this version...see, I'm talking about the George Lucas Star Wars, this is the next generation of Star Wars," he continued. The Telegraph

All I can say to that is....this new generation haven't got a clue what makes a great Star Wars movie great, and that component isn't Disney.

"Listen, I still haven't accepted it completely, but it's only a movie," Hamill said. "I hope people like it. I hope they don't get upset. I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man they needed for this job." The Telegraph

That's right, it's just a movie, no longer the greatest Sci-Fi franchise that changed the course of movie making, and gave Disney it's greatest achievement to date. A Star Wars universe devoid of the world building and uniqueness of Lucas' Star Wars universe.

Poor old Mark certainly wouldn't say it's complete shit, would he Trebor. Especially after taking the Disney buck. But at least he's been slightly open about what he really thinks of this inferior Star Wars trilogy.

May the force be with you Mark.
As much as I don't trust the papers I trust the internet even less , just a breeding ground for people too beat there drum and tell everyone how right they are no matter how little evidence and cherry picking what as been said and ignoring the rest to suit there needs.

Fact a lot more people have be enjoyed it than those who haven't. But who cares as it's only a film.

Will say it again, is bloody movie for more important problems in life than what day of the week Luke farts on and what it smells like.
wongfeihung62 and keirarts like this.
Old 26th December 2017, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
As much as I don't trust the papers I trust the internet even less , just a breeding ground for people too beat there drum and tell everyone how right they are no matter how little evidence and cherry picking what as been said and ignoring the rest to suit there needs.
You're in absolute denial Trebor, that's the problem.

No one's cherry picking anything. I went to the cinema to enjoy a Star Wars film. I'm not a fan boy at all, but I would like to be treated with some intelligence with a film that actually can demonstrate to the audience that it's willing to take the Star Wars realm into new and different lands without being dumb and inferior.

I would've been better served by a double re-showing of The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi Trebor, cos that's what we got at the cinema.

Why then Trebor do we come here to Cult Labs if we're not fan boys of a certain film(s) or TV series?
Old 26th December 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
You're in absolute denial Trebor, that's the problem.

No one's cherry picking anything. I went to the cinema to enjoy a Star Wars film. I'm not a fan boy at all, but I would like to be treated with some intelligence with a film that actually can demonstrate to the audience that it's willing to take the Star Wars realm into new and different lands without being dumb and inferior.

I would've been better served by a double re-showing of The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi Trebor, cos that's what we got at the cinema.
So everyone else on here that's seen it and enjoyed is in denial apart from you?

But as I said it's only a movie and thats the last I will say on the subject. I'm not going to get bent out of shape if people like something I don't, just can't understand why people get so upset if someone does.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th December 2017, 06:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
So everyone else on here that's seen it and enjoyed is in denial apart from you?

But as I said it's only a movie and thats the last I will say on the subject. I'm not going to get bent out of shape if people like something I don't, just can't understand why people get so upset if someone does.
If you like the new Star Wars/Disney films, then by all means, carry on enjoying them.

Maybe one day Trebor you might just reconsider you're position.
Old 26th December 2017, 07:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Is there a major difference with Johnson using character tropes and plot devices compared to Lucas using them from Kurosawa (R2-D2 and C-3PO based on characters from The Hidden Fortress, for example)?

Because of the inspirations for the stories and characters, isn't it only natural for certain relationships within the Jedi/Rebel Alliance/Resistance and the Galactic Empire/First Order to be repeated?
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th December 2017, 07:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Is there a major difference with Johnson using character tropes and plot devices compared to Lucas using them from Kurosawa (R2-D2 and C-3PO based on characters from The Hidden Fortress, for example)?

Because of the inspirations for the stories and characters, isn't it only natural for certain relationships within the Jedi/Rebel Alliance/Resistance and the Galactic Empire/First Order to be repeated?
Do R2D2 and C3PO have major roles in this latest film? They were major players in the original trilogy.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th December 2017, 07:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do R2D2 and C3PO have major roles in this latest film? They were major players in the original trilogy.
No, they are minor characters. I was using them as an example of how Lucas was inspired by other films, and how it could be seen that trend is continuing, with BB-8 similar in appearance and communication to R2-D2, and his relationship with Poe is reminiscent of R2-D2's with Luke in the first couple of Star Wars movies. I don't believe it's a lack of imagination or cinematic plagiarism, but perfectly natural in how a headstrong character would communicate with a very able droid.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No, they are minor characters. I was using them as an example of how Lucas was inspired by other films, and how it could be seen that trend is continuing, with BB-8 similar in appearance and communication to R2-D2, and his relationship with Poe is reminiscent of R2-D2's with Luke in the first couple of Star Wars movies. I don't believe it's a lack of imagination or cinematic plagiarism, but perfectly natural in how a headstrong character would communicate with a very able droid.
I think it's a commercial decision personally. Similar to blowing up the inside of the TARDIS last night. - A new TARDIS console for your new Jodie action figures.

I bet the idea is to phase out the use of the droids, Chewbacca etc as they will all be Lucas film property and royalties will have to be given to George. However new creations like BB-8 (Remote control toys ago-go) will be completely Disney owned. R2D2, Luke Skywalker will all be Lucas trademarks and phased out asap.
keirarts and hivemind like this.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think it's a commercial decision personally. Similar to blowing up the inside of the TARDIS last night. - A new TARDIS console for your new Jodie action figures.

I bet the idea is to phase out the use of the droids, Chewbacca etc as they will all be Lucas film property and royalties will have to be given to George. However new creations like BB-8 (Remote control toys ago-go) will be completely Disney owned. R2D2, Luke Skywalker will all be Lucas trademarks and phased out asap.
It could be to do with royalties or it could be the merchandise reflecting major characters, so BB-8 and not R2-D2.

If you remember the scene I described a couple of weeks ago where there were people in the cinema foyer dressed as Chewbacca, a storm trooper and (I think, though I saw his back and not his face) Darth Vader, they had a remote-controlled BB-8 which fits the new film much more than a mobile R2-D2.
keirarts likes this.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It could be to do with royalties or it could be the merchandise reflecting major characters, so BB-8 and not R2-D2.

If you remember the scene I described a couple of weeks ago where there were people in the cinema foyer dressed as Chewbacca, a storm trooper and (I think, though I saw his back and not his face) Darth Vader, they had a remote-controlled BB-8 which fits the new film much more than a mobile R2-D2.
The thing is the major characters are all new Disney creations rather than old Lucas ones. Surely if you want to sell something you'd go with the iconic and cute R2D2. However seeing as Disney will have to continue paying Lucas for R2D2's image rights then it will get phased out to be replaced by a Disney only robot.

It's all about the mighty $ with Disney. Especially Disney.

Basically if Disney bought the rights to James Bond, around two films down the line Eon trademarks such as 007, SPECTRE and the theme tune would be ditched in favour of new brand Disney ideas.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!