All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th January 2018, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I thought i'd post this.

It's a post on a Doctor Who forum but it certainly rings true here. Sobering stuff really.

Quote:
This is the bizarre cycle we find ourselves in now. Look at Star Wars fans...they dress up as Darth Maul and queue up for days to get in to the Star Wars celebration to see the trailer and cry actual tears over it and make youtube videos that last 30 minutes picking apart a 2 minute trailer and come up with all these dopey theories and then when the actual movie comes out, the important bit, the toys go flying out the pram when things don't go exactly how they wanted them to or their rubbish fan theories prove to be exactly that...rubbish. They then tweet hatred to the directors and actors, might even sign an online or petition or 10 and then they calm down and wait for the cycle to start again, rinse and repeat. Pretty much all science fiction fandoms are now acting like spoiled, over indulged children because they're etting too much of what they wanted and it isn't good for them. A few years in the wilderness should sort them out. Then they'll be sobbing into their webcams about how no one makes superhero movies anymore and why hasn't Doctor Who been on for 17 years? and what a travesty it all is. And yet they were too stupid to enjoy it while it lasted.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought i'd post this.

It's a post on a Doctor Who forum but it certainly rings true here. Sobering stuff really.
Who ever wrote this is right, it can be applied to Dr who, star wars and star trek just seems a culture of people who care more about bitching and moaning than they do the shows.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th January 2018, 01:51 PM
Cult Master

Star Wars A New Hope with LIVE Orchestra in FIRST EVER UK tour – Here’s how to get tickets | The Express

The dates and venues quoted in the article are:

November 16 – Royal Albert Hall (7:30pm)
November 17 – Royal Albert Hall (2pm and 7:30pm)
November 18 – Royal Albert Hall (2pm and 7:30pm)
November 28 – Liverpool Echo Arena
November 29 – Bournemouth International Centre
December 1 – Manchester Arena
December 5 – 3Arena, Dublin
December 7 – Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
December 8 – First Direct Arena, Leeds
December 9 – SEC Centre, Glasgow

but the Birmingham Arena is also advertising a show on December 2nd, so it's possible more will be added in time

keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 30th January 2018, 12:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought i'd post this.

Not really. It sounds like the whining of someone who thinks a "fan" is someone who should blindly accept and worship any old crap so long as it bears the same name of something that used to be good, and is butthurt that many fans refuse to do so.

But that's just me.
Old 31st January 2018, 07:43 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Not really. It sounds like the whining of someone who thinks a "fan" is someone who should blindly accept and worship any old crap so long as it bears the same name of something that used to be good, and is butthurt that many fans refuse to do so.

But that's just me.
It depends. Some of the Moffat Dr.Who has been pretty badly written. I'm not the only one that feels so. With Star wars the last jedi was actually mostly well written and directed (with a few exceptions) and the criticism wasn't really directed at the quality of the film rather that it didn't do what the fans expected. I think this is something the studios have done a lot to help cause however.
Old 31st January 2018, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
With Star wars the last jedi was actually mostly well written and directed (with a few exceptions)
That's some statement to make keirarts.

Most of the main characters don't really seem to go anywhere, and also seem absolutely pointless to what little plot exists, if any. Rose was another character that really added nothing to the actual story. Rose was lame and rather one dimensional. Snoke was built up to be more powerful than Darth Vader and the Emperor, but in the end got dispatched with great ease. All that hard work building up Snoke's rather pointless character, and what for. Another totally missed opportunity. Just look at the DJ, another pointless character who just has no real back development at all. And above all this is Luke Skywalker. Disney/Lucasfilm made certain that Luke was nothing more than a sad, lonely hermit with no fight or positivity. Just a pathetic, grumpy, couldn't care less character with none of the spirit that Luke had in The Return of the Jedi. The main protagonist that's at the center of the story, and he just flings his trusted lightsaber over his left shoulder?. Just absolute garbage. This film appeals to people who "think" they are Star Wars fans, but prefer being subjected to politically correct, pointless plots, feminist agenda's and one dimemsional characters that don't actually go anywhere within the story, and prefer the nostalgic ride, rather than seeing a film that carries on the story of Luke Skywalker to a satisfying conclusion with well developed plot lines that actually follow through from the first film, The Force Awakens. Christ! Even George Lucas understood the value and payoff of proper character developement, it's the most basic concept when creating a story. Even the much maligned The Phantom Menace had a coherent plot than The Last Jedi. LOL! Johnson delivered a mediocre story that actually destroyed the ground work done in Episode 7 by Jar Jar Abrams. The Last Jedi certainly deserves it's status as the worse Star Wars film ever to grace the cinema screen. Dumbed down junk of the highest order. George Lucas did better with the prequels, than what Disney/Lucasfilm have done with The Last Dumbed Down Jedi.

Last edited by hivemind; 31st January 2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 31st January 2018, 01:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
That's some statement to make keirarts.

Most of the main characters don't really seem to go anywhere, and also seem absolutely pointless to what little plot exists, if any. Rose was another character that really added nothing to the actual story. Rose was lame and rather one dimensional. Snoke was built up to be more powerful than Darth Vader and the Emperor, but in the end got dispatched with great ease. All that hard work building up Snoke's rather pointless character, and what for. Another totally missed opportunity. Just look at the DJ, another pointless character who just has no real back development at all. And above all this is Luke Skywalker. Disney/Lucasfilm made certain that Luke was nothing more than a sad, lonely hermit with no fight or positivity. Just a pathetic, grumpy, couldn't care less character with none of the spirit that Luke had in The Return of the Jedi. The main protagonist that's at the center of the story, and he just flings his trusted lightsaber over his left shoulder?. Just absolute garbage. This film appeals to people who "think" they are Star Wars fans, but prefer being subjected to politically correct, pointless plots, feminist agenda's and one dimemsional characters that don't actually go anywhere within the story, and prefer the nostalgic ride, rather than seeing a film that carries on the story of Luke Skywalker to a satisfying conclusion with well developed plot lines that actually follow through from the first film, The Force Awakens. Christ! Even George Lucas understood the value and payoff of proper character developement, it's the most basic concept when creating a story. Even the much maligned The Phantom Menace had a coherent plot than The Last Jedi. LOL! Johnson delivered a mediocre story that actually destroyed the ground work done in Episode 7 by Jar Jar Abrams. The Last Jedi certainly deserves it's status as the worse Star Wars film ever to grace the cinema screen. Dumbed down junk of the highest order. George Lucas did better with the prequels, than what Disney/Lucasfilm have done with The Last Dumbed Down Jedi.
I know the star wars police have a hard time policing all the 'wrongthink' online with all us silly buggers who disagree with the officially endorsed opinion but I would disagree. More so I would argue nothing in last Jedi is any more one dimensional than the original series. Luke ended up where most legendary heroes in mythical storytelling do. Old and disillusioned. Snoke was essentially Palpatine all over again. An arch villain designed to hinge a plot twist on. But I could defend the film with pages of reasoning and bore the shit out of everyone else and I doubt i would change your mind. So why bother?
Old 31st January 2018, 02:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
More so I would argue nothing in last Jedi is any more one dimensional than the original series.
Would you like to flesh out why you think The Last Jedi is no more one dimensional than the original series?

Just out of interest Keirats.
Old 31st January 2018, 02:28 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Would you like to flesh out why you think The Last Jedi is no more one dimensional than the original series?

Just out of interest Keirats.
Isn't this a question which was quite thoroughly debated on page 70 onwards in this thread?
Old 31st January 2018, 02:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

Just out of interest Keiratts.
Luke Skywalker. Farmboy. King Arthur stir arc. Gets magic sword from old wizard. Suddenly discovers he has powers. Becomes hero. (Plus we know how things ended up for Arthur when he got old)

Obi wan. Old hermit. Delivers exposition and sword. Dies.

Han solo. Rogue. Heart of gold. Does the right thing in the end.

Leia. Princess. Falls for rogue.

Chewbacca. Hairy comic relief.

Lando calrissian. Black Han solo.

Darth Vader. Masked villain. Looks menacing. One major character twist is he's the heroes dad.

Palpatine. Who is he? Where's he from? Why does he do things? See the cloak. The ugly face? Because evil.

Not exactly Dostoyevsky. Nor should it be. It was never the point of the films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!