Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2018, 10:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
People on here can mock the likes of Hivemind and myself for suggesting Disney are purely in it for the money and have no real love for Star Wars but the latest news really does prove us correct.
I didn't mock Hivemind for suggesting Disney are in it for the money. Pretty much every studio going are in it for the money and the fact that they are franchising it pretty much confirms that. Lucas was in it for the money. Look at the Toy Empire he built on the back of the original trilogy.

I was mocking Hivemind for his TL;DR responses every time someone disagreed with him avout last jedi, to the point he basically stated people who liked the film were drunk and that the new films had basically 'killed star wars'. It just struck me as the same sort of Hyperbole that came out on the back of that ghostbusters Reboot. The end result there wasn't great (though it seems to have built up a fanbase of young girls who seem to love it). Strangely I can rewatch the original without it having been somehow 'murdered in its sleep'.

Even with remakes / reboots and half the unorigional crap being turned out by Holywood it doesn't diminish my appreciation of the original film. My appreciation of A new hope, Empire and Jedi was diminished many years ago when Lucas slathered CGI garbage over every frame and reinserted unnecessary scenes into the films. I'm A-ok with people disliking Last Jedi. It spent a long time building up fan expectations then delivered something very different. I said it in my initial review of the film. The backlash was something disney essentially built itself. However my opinion is as valid as anyone elses and I enjoyed the film like a lot of the audience and critics did. Claiming they were either bought off, drunk or wrong is essentially dismissing and diminishing those opinions. I think Ultimately that was why I responded the way I did.

For the record right now. I do not begrudge Hivemind or his opinion. If it came across that way then I apologise right now. He has his opinions on the film and I have mine and both are quite different it seems.
Old 7th February 2018, 11:54 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
my only problem with solo is that really could of gotten someone who looked and sounded more like Ford.
Maybe they should have got Harrison Ford's son and dubbed his voice onto his,He dubbed his father in Bladerunner:The Final Cut.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
The guy playing Solo doesn't look much like him. They should have gone with Anthony Ingruber who played a young Ford in the brilliant fantasy The Age of Adaline. He was spot on.

Says everything Dem. Makes you REALLY wonder what Disney are up to. You can't tell me Disney are this incompetent. After seeing The Last Jedi train wreck, Solo may look alright on the sets, locations and CGI side of things, but the casting of Harrison Ford's character is just shocking. Even Lando looks somewhat suspect. The story probably will be all over place as well.

Where's George Lucas when you need him. Probably at Skywalker ranch drinking Jack Daniels on the rocks and laughing his ****ing head off at all the mugs that buy into these shoddy Disney Star Wars films.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
my only problem with solo is that really could of gotten someone who looked and sounded more like Ford.

But saying that i can't really judge what he is like until i see the film
You'll like trebor, you always do. Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy have alot to answer for. Bringing Lucas' Star Wars into total disrepute. There's a reason why Lucas made six films, but there's no reason for Disney's Star Wars Trilogy. Which trilogy would you ultimately prefer on the shelf at home. Lucas can be proud that at least he told the story without Disney interference. Star Wars was dead the moment Lucas handed the keys over to Iger back in 2012.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
You'll like trebor, you always do. Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy have alot to answer for. Bringing Lucas' Star Wars into total disrepute. There's a reason why Lucas made six films, but there's no reason for Disney's Star Wars Trilogy. Which trilogy would you ultimately prefer on the shelf at home. Lucas can be proud that at least he told the story without Disney interference. Star Wars was dead the moment Lucas handed the keys over to Iger back in 2012.
The problem for me is the investment in a whole new group of characters. Due to the age of people and also killing off characters such as Han and Luke means there's not an awful lot left of the originals to hang on to meaning when they stop using the Falcon for example or Tie Fighters and all the other iconic things then it's for all intents and purposes just another sci-fi series and not really a genre i'm interested in.

This isn't some over reaction by the way. I've said on here in the past in discussions with bizarre_eye that i'm not a fan of movie sci-fi on the whole.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ll no doubt take my boys to watch Solo when it’s released, not that bothered for it myself but seeing as my local Vue cinema has finally reduced ticket prices to £4.99 (something which Keirarts’ local Vue have been doing for a while now), it won’t bother me too much if it’s a load of Tauntaun crap
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th February 2018, 12:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The problem for me is the investment in a whole new group of characters. Due to the age of people and also killing off characters such as Han and Luke means there's not an awful lot left of the originals to hang on to meaning when they stop using the Falcon for example or Tie Fighters and all the other iconic things then it's for all intents and purposes just another sci-fi series and not really a genre i'm interested in.

This isn't some over reaction by the way. I've said on here in the past in discussions with bizarre_eye that i'm not a fan of movie sci-fi on the whole.

The thing is. SOLO really has to be fan service in a way Last Jedi didn't. With the new trilogy I suspect Disney are more interested in bringing new fans into Star Wars. It's easy enough to do with a new trilogy set in the future. However Solo is mainly going to appeal to existing fans making the film a somewhat baffling choice for Disney.
Then again Han Solo like many of the star wars characters are so underwritten there ate lots of liberties one could potentially take.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The thing is. SOLO really has to be fan service in a way Last Jedi didn't. With the new trilogy I suspect Disney are more interested in bringing new fans into Star Wars. It's easy enough to do with a new trilogy set in the future. However Solo is mainly going to appeal to existing fans making the film a somewhat baffling choice for Disney.
Then again Han Solo like many of the star wars characters are so underwritten there ate lots of liberties one could potentially take.
You can't have it both ways. It was stated earlier that there's such a wealth of Star Wars material to go at for these films be it novels, graphic novels etc that Solo will have a complex back and future story.

So he's either underwritten or fully rounded depending on, well nothing really, just whatever mood you're in. (Not you, K, but everyone)
Old 7th February 2018, 12:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
You can't have it both ways. It was stated earlier that there's such a wealth of Star Wars material to go at for these films be it novels, graphic novels etc that Solo will have a complex back and future story.

So he's either underwritten or fully rounded depending on, well nothing really.
I have always called bullshit on people citing the extended universe books and comics as proof the characters have more depth. If it's not in the films then it's just fan fiction as far as I'm concerned. Disney did the right thing when they basically said they were ditching it all. Otherwise anyone hired to make a film has to read through several hundred novels in case they get details wrong. No writer wants that. It's one of the reasons Star trek wasn't attracting new fans and saw it's popularity wane. It was pandering to a small number of hardcore fans.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post

I see no problem with expanding the universe, something the old EU novels, comics, and video games (plus The Clone Wars animated series) were doing long before Disney bought Lucasfilm, and they’re drawing elements from this source material. Star Wars is so much more than just the original trilogy, and it should be; it’s a rich mythology set in a vast galaxy inhabited by so many characters, and has so many stories to tell. I think they’ve done a good job so far, and as for just being in it for the money, I think they’ve lovingly featured callbacks to those beloved three films, and at the same time, managed to push the mythos forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I have always called bullshit on people citing the extended universe books and comics as proof the characters have more depth. If it's not in the films then it's just fan fiction as far as I'm concerned. Disney did the right thing when they basically said they were ditching it all. Otherwise anyone hired to make a film has to read through several hundred novels in case they get details wrong. No writer wants that. It's one of the reasons Star trek wasn't attracting new fans and saw it's popularity wane. It was pandering to a small number of hardcore fans.
Clearly a bone of contention between fans then.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!