All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2018, 01:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Probably the best illustration of the overreliance on CGI in the prequel films is this anecdote from Ewan McGregor from his appearance on Top Gear:

keirarts likes this.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Not so much taste.

The prequels are essentially shit movies that slowly get better as Lucas watches them, realises where he went wrong and essentially relearns the art of film making.
Phantom menace is especially egregious as it's over reliance on CGI over practical effects are painfully obvious in HD. I got the chance to speak with most of the guys who worked on the practical effects who told me Lucas basically told them they wouldn't be needed for most of the shoot as the work was going to be done by computers. Then over half way through he suddenly began dumping more and more work on them in a panic as he realised nothing was working as it should. From all accounts the behind the scenes stories on phantom menace are more interesting than the finished film.

As for 4-6. Well that's just annoyance on my part. I can see the films I used to like peeking through the layers of CGI. Pratfalling jawas. Fake looking Jaba the hutt in episode 4. Greedo shooting first and numerous other irritations. Give me the untampered with versions I can watch them just fine.
Well that's the joy's of filmmaking. I'm certain Lucas didn't mind "dumping more and more work on them" at ILM. I always thought that's what Lucas set them up for, to sort out issues in the filmmaking process. Employee's get paid to do it, so I see no real issue with it. God. I wish I was paid the money some of those guys get working on films. Makes my retail job wages look somewhat inferior. Well it's bound to look somewhat inferior with new technology like HD. There's very few films made over 20 to 30yrs that have effects that look like they were made for the HD technology of today.

There's effects in films being produced today that already look badly rendered, and show up on HD technology. As I said before, Lucas did what was needed with The Phantom Menace. He told the story, delivered the continuity for the next film, and carried forward the story arc effectively enough, do you see that in The Last Jedi? The prequels aren't perfect, but with Lucas moving the momentum forward, the films have a decent, rounded story arc that has a sense of purpose.

Well, that's up to Lucas. He made the decision to make the alterations to the original films. His work. At least Lucas put out the LaserDisc versions on the DVD format back in the early 00's. Better than nothing.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Probably the best illustration of the overreliance on CGI in the prequel films is this anecdote from Ewan McGregor from his appearance on Top Gear:

McGregor just enjoyed complaining out about it. God bless him.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
He told the story, delivered the continuity for the next film, and carried forward the story arc effectively enough, do you see that in The Last Jedi?

Yes you do. More effectively than in the prequels.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:24 PM
Cult Addict

I also find the idea that a lot of the effects teams in Hollywood are on huge paydays quite funny. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 7th February 2018, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just seen this on Facebook, we’re getting multiple Star Wars TV shows too!

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-...gn=buffer_tffb
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th February 2018, 02:35 PM
Cult Addict

The prequels are ineptly made and incoherent films. however they were consistent in the story they were telling. The disney trilogy are competently made, however the difficulty is that the story for me is inconsistent especially after TLJ, especially when you consider that it's meant to be a trilogy.
Abrams pussyfooted around, johnson trolled the fanboys and abrams will probably pussyfoot around again. But they will be competently filmed and not be a visualization of a migraine.
Disney realize it's a goldmine and will do fan service if it means profit. Even if it lets EA use it as a gambling simulator.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 7th February 2018, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The prequels created narrative inconsistencies in the original trilogy that weren't there to begin with. That's the careful attention George Lucas paid to continuity.
Dave Boy likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 7th February 2018, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I also find the idea that a lot of the effects teams in Hollywood are on huge paydays quite funny. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Please enlighten me further.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
The prequels created narrative inconsistencies in the original trilogy that weren't there to begin with. That's the careful attention George Lucas paid to continuity.
Careful what you say here Cinematic Shocks. This new trilogy is adding up to be one of the most inconsistent and totally non-Star Wars film trilogies ever produced. Jar Jar Abrams is going to have his work cut out after the hatchet job Johnson did on The Last Jedi. If Disney had any REAL sense, they would've dumped Johnson from making a new trilogy of films altogether. But knowing what Disney is truly like, I very much doubt it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!