Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2017, 01:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Hell Lucas tried something different with the prequels and no one liked them.
Quite a few people enjoy them. I thought that Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith were much more exciting than Force Awakens. They had some clunky Anakin acting and a Jar Jar but it didn't affect the end result too badly.

Attack of the Clones, I would struggle to defend. Although I feel much better about the moment early on when Anakin drops a great height from a flying vehicle onto a target's ship. It always seemed too OTT to me - even for a force user. But I saw a clip from an old Flash Gordon serial where the hero did the same thing and after that, I felt better about it.

The prequels had different space ships whereas Force Awakens just recycles the same designs despite it being set 30 years later. It would have been nice to see some evolution instead of the standard X-Wing or Tie Fighter. But at least they altered the stormtrooper armour.
hivemind likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 01:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I thought Force Awakens was excellent. Hell Lucas tried something different with the prequels and no one liked them.
Ha,ha. All the prequels pissed over The Force Awakens.
hivemind likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Ha,ha. All the prequels pissed over The Force Awakens.
Nonsense. I don't mind them but they can be a bit of a slog next to Force Awakens. The acting was dire and Lucas over reliance on cgi meant they felt more like watching animation.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nonsense. I don't mind them but they can be a bit of a slog next to Force Awakens. The acting was dire and Lucas over reliance on cgi meant they felt more like watching animation.
That silly sequence that re-introduced Han Solo was just badly done farce and extremely cringe worthy. Adding to the fact that Kylo-Ren is the shittest villain imaginable - he's supposed to be a Sith Lord but basically lost every light sabre duel including to a girl who picked one up for the very first time - That's pretty much all i remember from the film, well Solo's death as well. Clearly Harrison Ford realised how much Abrams had lost the plot when he read the script and asked for his legendary character to be killed off.
hivemind likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
I thought Force Awakens was excellent. Hell Lucas tried something different with the prequels and no one liked them.
Lucas certainly didn't get every element right in the prequels, but Revenge of the Sith was a flipping masterpiece compaired to the absolute folly that arrived in the cinema's back in 2015.

The Phantom Menace had it's flaws, inparticular the trade federation thingy, and the blasted Jar Jar Binks, but I prefer watching Lucas's attempts at bringing something different to the table. At least we had a set of films that actually resembled something fresh, rather than a major studio saying, "play it safe" and give them what they (auidence) wants, a nostalgia fest with a story that doesn't even try to be different, but just copies elements and story plots from the first film, and probably the second film will do the same by copying Empire in places. Lucas for all his faults pushed the envelope with the CGI technology at the time.

I have nothing against the application of physical effects, but it doesn't really matter how much a film looks in terms of set design, physical effects or acting. What really matters is the narrative that the story will take, and how well it's ultimately applied to the fleshing out of the story arc. All I see with these new Star Wars films is the exact opposite. The next stories will probably be similar in tone to Empire and Return. I just wish now that Lucas had fulfilled his legacy with Eps 7, 8 & 9.

I've always been a keen supporter of George Lucas, but to see his legacy being shit all over by the house of mouse is just sickening beyond words.

Lucas to some degree is to blame for selling the crown jewels of sci-fi movie making off to Disney. He once said that he wouldn't even consider selling Lucasfilm off, but as usual, money talks and I suspect Lucas had plenty of pressure to sell off Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise to Disney.

But we'll ultimately never know the truth. Except Lucas let slip in that Charlie Rose interview what he REALLY thought of Disney.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
That silly sequence that re-introduced Han Solo was just badly done farce and extremely cringe worthy. Adding to the fact that Kylo-Ren is the shittest villain imaginable - he's supposed to be a Sith Lord but basically lost every light sabre duel including to a girl who picked one up for the very first time - That's pretty much all i remember from the film, well Solo's death as well. Clearly Harrison Ford realised how much Abrams had lost the plot when he read the script and asked for his legendary character to be killed off.
And Harrison Ford took a nice pay cheque too. $22 million for the return of Han Solo in The Force Awakens.

And what a performance.

Jar Jar Binks, all is forgiven.

Ok! Maybe not....

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 13th September 2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Quote posted properly
Old 13th September 2017, 05:19 PM
Cult Addict

Heres something a mate showed me a while back
https://youtu.be/9yOYiVHKOog

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
hivemind likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Heres something a mate showed me a while back
https://youtu.be/9yOYiVHKOog

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Goes back to the old chestnut of "There is no such thing as originality in film-making, only re-imagining". Lucas took inspiration from many areas of film culture with Star Wars. Even developing the concepts from Joesph Campbell's Hero's Journey. Is anything truly original.

But there's no denying that Kasdan and associate just blatantly copied the blueprint for the first Star Wars film and deceided to sell the auidence a vertual carbon-copy film.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
But the original films are largely silly bollocks. Very entertaining, loads of fun. But silly bollocks all the same.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 13th September 2017, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

What about the dire Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux Dem. Can that guy actually act?. The way he delivered the dialouge made the audience chringe in the cinema when my wife and some friends went to see the film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!