Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th November 2017, 05:55 AM
Cult Addict

Ffs, how long until people will get sick and tired of it

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
hivemind likes this.
Old 10th November 2017, 08:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's probably been mentioned somewhere across these 50-odd pages but for folks like me who are not Star Wars nuts, I thought the following Watchdog-style video seminars detailing the additions, subtractions and adjustments made the the original three films, were terrific. Well worth catching... Here's the forensic examination of the 1977 film...

All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video)
Old 10th November 2017, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Ffs, how long until people will get sick and tired of it

The only element I see of any benefit from the Star Wars/Disney connection is a possible Obi-Wan Kenobi film with Ewan McGregor. You'd need a decent director with top notch credentials. Shame Disney/LucasFilm didn't go with an Obi-wan trilogy.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:03 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
It's probably been mentioned somewhere across these 50-odd pages but for folks like me who are not Star Wars nuts, I thought the following Watchdog-style video seminars detailing the additions, subtractions and adjustments made the the original three films, were terrific. Well worth catching... Here's the forensic examination of the 1977 film...

All Changes Made to Star Wars: A New Hope (Comparison Video)
I remember the title crawl without the A New Hope IV on it's 1977 cinema release.

In 1977 there is one thing George Lucas never intended to do and that was make a trilogy,One film and one film only.

Only much later after the success of the first film did he backtrack and say he always wanted to do a trilogy of films which was a load of rubbish.

I hate the retouched films and only like the Originals on release films as that is what I saw back then and that is how it should be.
Wes and Demoncrat like this.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Fascinating stuff. There's a very good THX-1138 comparison video as well, a film I'm much more connected to.

THX 1138: Comparison between Original version and Director's Cut
Old 10th November 2017, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict

Lets be clear i am not a huge Star Wars fan. I was quite late to the party, not seeing the original films for the first time until the late 90s As they never held huge appeal. While I enjoy them I do think that they are little more than lighthearted daft entertainment.
I personally don't see the problem with what Disney is doing. As far as I'm concerned the two films they've so far got out, Force Awakens and particularly Rogue One are brilliant and head and shoulders above Lucas' prequel trilogy. And if I'm being honest I probably enjoyed Rogue One more than New Hope and Return of the Jedi. The complaint has been made that they aren't doing anything original, well as I've said before it didn't seem to me that the fans really wanted that. Credit to him Lucas tried something different and original with the prequels and many complained.
Wes, nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A few years ago I got into reading Star Trek lit, something I previously shrugged off, but I picked up one of the books almost by accident and found myself enjoying it immensely and more followed. Some of the books expand the Trek Universe, while others are simply content to be supplemental sc-fi space adventures. I kind of like the idea of new Star Wars films being ephemeral sci-fi spectacles, not integral chapters in a multi-series narrative. Films that can be enjoyed without having seen the previous entries and so on. I can't push the Star Trek lit analogy too far, the problem with Star Wars is that it takes a year or so for the next picture to arrive !
Old 10th November 2017, 07:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Lets be clear i am not a huge Star Wars fan. I was quite late to the party, not seeing the original films for the first time until the late 90s As they never held huge appeal. While I enjoy them I do think that they are little more than lighthearted daft entertainment.
I personally don't see the problem with what Disney is doing. As far as I'm concerned the two films they've so far got out, Force Awakens and particularly Rogue One are brilliant and head and shoulders above Lucas' prequel trilogy. And if I'm being honest I probably enjoyed Rogue One more than New Hope and Return of the Jedi. The complaint has been made that they aren't doing anything original, well as I've said before it didn't seem to me that the fans really wanted that. Credit to him Lucas tried something different and original with the prequels and many complained.
The issue with the prequels is that they are incompetently made, honestly it was all done in front of a blue screen and almost all of the dialogue is filmed in the exact way, I agree that Lucas tried to something different and credit is due where it's due.
The Disney series has one major fault and that is that instead of delving further into the cannon, which is huge, they are pussyfooting around with it by playing it safe and ultimately are heavily reliant upon nostalgia which is so heavily used that it feels like a soft reboot.

hivemind likes this.
Old 10th November 2017, 11:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post

I hate the retouched films and only like the Originals on release films as that is what I saw back then and that is how it should be.
Right On !

I only watch the original versions. The 'Special Edition' versions are abominations and should be dropped in the nearest s**t bin.
Demoncrat and SilverSurfer like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!