LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2017, 06:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I suppose listening to an expert telling you something is good or great is better than trusting your own instincts when you see the film for yourself.

I always say....trust the gut instinct Nosferatu.

95% of the time you're proven right. And in this case, I think The Last Jedi deserves it's status as a rather pale imitation of what went before.
I didn't put the video links to the review and article to say you were wrong, just to show how other opinions are available!

It's very clear how TLJ is, just like TFA, a quite polarising film with people either embracing the film and the new trilogy, or (just about) hating just about everything about the films and the fact they exist in the first place.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:36 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nos and Mark Kermode are practically joined at the hip concerning certain films.
The Exorcist, Brazil, and The Wicker Man being three of them.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
I thought Rogue One was decent. However only because of the storyline about the Death Star, Vader, Tarkin etc. Remove the classic stuff and i wouldn't bother with it. I had no affinity for the new characters and didn't care that they were all killed off.

That's how I felt about Rogue One too.

It's just sad to think how souless these films are. There's just no real conection to the characters at all. There's a void that doesn't make you really care if they die or live. Of all people who should've known better, Lawerence Kasdan could of delivered something that resembled a decent story in The Force Awakens, but obviously Disney put the foot down and decreed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be mundane and a clear rip-off of Episode IV. Play it safe, and give the auidence something that resembles Star Wars of yesteryear. Tragic.

All of this has made me re-evaluate the prequels. There masterpieces compared to both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Who would of thought that in 2017 I would say such a thing. I have now, and it's on record too.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's how I felt about Rogue One too.

It's just sad to think how souless these films are. There's just no real conection to the characters at all. There's a void that doesn't make you really care if they die or live. Of all people who should've known better, Lawerence Kasdan could of delivered something that resembled a decent story in The Force Awakens, but obviously Disney put the foot down and decreed that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be mundane and a clear rip-off of Episode IV. Play it safe, and give the auidence something that resembles Star Wars of yesteryear. Tragic.

All of this has made me re-evaluate the prequels. There masterpieces compared to both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Who would of thought that in 2017 I would say such a thing. I have now, and it's on record too.
I think the original actors had a certain something, that one off star power. Harrison Ford for example became one of the legendary film stars of all time. I truly can't see John Boyega or Daisy Ridley having that quality. Think the first time you saw Darth Vader... Wow. Can anyone who's not just seen the new film even picture what Kylo Ren or Snoke look like? I know i can't.

Nos mentioned The Exorcist. Another film that had that certain something. That timeless classic aura. I bet the majority of people don't even know it has another four films attached to it.
keirarts and hivemind like this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't put the video links to the review and article to say you were wrong, just to show how other opinions are available!

It's very clear how TLJ is, just like TFA, a quite polarising film with people either embracing the film and the new trilogy, or (just about) hating just about everything about the films and the fact they exist in the first place.
Yes, I know.

I've seen what the critics have said on the internet. I've never been very fussed by what any of them say overall.

Though I do often wonder what the late film critic Alexander Walker would've made of this.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I'd have preferred more Ewan McGregor / Obi Wan films instead of TFA.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I know.

I've seen what the critics have said on the internet. I've never been very fussed by what any of them say overall.

Though I do often wonder what the late film critic Alexander Walker would've made of this.
All the critics are paid to say how brilliant the films are. Unless of course it's just Empire magazine that people on here suggest are.

Can't have it every way Empire haters.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:54 PM
Cult Addict

I much prefer force awakens and last Jedi to any of the prequels . The prequels are bad film making plain and simple. The new ones from a purely technical standpoint are much better. Last Jedi for me is probably even better than return of the Jedi.
Old 20th December 2017, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I'd have preferred more Ewan McGregor / Obi Wan films instead of TFA.
Yes. Absolutely Dem.

That's what I was hoping for, but it may just happen. If it does, then get Steven Spielberg to direct it or someone who knows how to handle a film properly for Christ's sake. But with Disney involved, I just don't hold out much hope of the film being genuine. It will be a tall order Dem. McGregor is right for the role, but the story would have to be extra special.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th December 2017, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
All the critics are paid to say how brilliant the films are. Unless of course it's just Empire magazine that people on here suggest are.

Can't have it every way Empire haters.
Nothing like being a yes man/woman.

Who would've thought that film critics and politicains have something in common.

Like this? Share it using the links below!