Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2017, 10:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

And oh yeah, Boba Fett is awesome in The Empire Strikes Back. Yes, the character was utilized minimally, but to great effect that made him memorable, as he was essentially a plot device. He’s the one who tracks down the Millennium Falcon that the Empire is chasing after being hired by Darth Vader, and he's the one that takes Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt that sets up the cliffhanger ending, and the opening events of the last part of this three-act narrative - Return of the Jedi. If you remember in the Special Edition of A New Hope, in the awful extra Jabba sequence, the camera lingers on Fett before the film cuts to the next scene. As this was originally filmed during the 1976 production, this was signifying that this character was going to play a significant role in this trilogy. It’s his look and composure that makes him stand out as well with a cool as **** presence.

I’m not going to disagree about his role in ROTJ though, as he was wasted, and the way he went out was so weak, as if it was slapstick comedy.
keirarts likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th December 2017, 10:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

Boba Fett was not in the original deleted Jabba scene.
He was added by ILM to the Special Edition scene and was played by Mark Austin.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th December 2017, 10:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Boba Fett was not in the original deleted Jabba scene.
He was added by ILM to the Special Edition scene and was played by Mark Austin.
Oh, I didn't know that. Still, the insertion of the character was with the same intention for these new versions of the trilogy. It works this way for first time viewers.

keirarts likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th December 2017, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Old 27th December 2017, 01:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It actually doesn't bother me that Last Jedi shows that Luke momentarily heavily considered killing Kylo Ren.

Whilst it's obviously the old 'if you could go back in time, would you kill Adolf Hitler before he could rise to power' conundrum, we also saw Luke seriously attempting to kill his father in Return of the Jedi.

In ROTJ, it's only when he sees the similarity of Vader's missing hand and hears the Emperor's approving voice that he decides not to follow through. So Luke considering killing a relative who is affiliated with the force's dark side is really nothing new for the franchise.

Also worth noting that in Revenge of the Sith, jedi master Mace Windu wanted to summarily execute an unarmed Palpatine because he thought it was too dangerous to let him live. So prior Lucas lore also lends credence to the flashback events in Last Jedi.
Old 27th December 2017, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Good points.

Old 27th December 2017, 04:41 PM
Ex-member

Alfie Curtis, who played Dr Evazan in Star Wars: A New Hope, has died at the age of 87.

Star Wars actor Alfie Curtis dies aged 87 - BBC News
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th December 2017, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Old 28th December 2017, 10:19 AM
Cult Addict

I'm feeling that Star wars should be buried by Disney entirely. They could retain the rights making Ewok xmas specials each year and then Just stop publishing the books, comics ect and maybe divert some funds into suing Fan made stuff out of existence.

Then Just make stand alone films like Last Jedi without the star wars legacy. I really like Last Jedi but it appears A lot of vocal entitled fans are keen on sinking it.
Old 28th December 2017, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Like this? Share it using the links below!