https://tdylf.com/2013/08/14/infogra...movie-sequels/
Old 7th February 2018, 01:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Sequels rarely perform as well.
That's not going to help Disney if they have a slate of nine films in the offing.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's interesting that The Last Jedi is nearly $300m under The Force Awakens in the same 53 day period.

$614,689,858m compared to $906,723,418m in the US. It's worldwide figure also won't come close to the first film as it's $800m below.

Don't get me wrong it's still done brilliantly in terms of box office but not as good as the suits hoped.

Disney have $3.6+ billion in the bank. Dread to think what intrest is made on a minute by minute basis.

Iger and his exec's won't be shitting themselves anytime soon.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I know i sound like i'm arguing for the sake of it but i don't agree with that article at all.

Have a look at some franchises and you might feel i have a point in disagreeing.

Saw Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

The Fast and the Furious Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

Insidious Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

The films are basically all over the place in terms of chart positions and money made.
hivemind likes this.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That's not going to help Disney if they have a slate of nine films in the offing.
It's their money at the end of the day. No one else wants to finance Star wars films. If they take a bath on it then that's that. The saddest thing is I tried watching the originals on blu ray and couldn't do it. I traded them back in at cex. Episodes 1-6 are an awful experience these days.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
The saddest thing is I tried watching the originals on blu ray and couldn't do it. I traded them back in at cex. Episodes 1-6 are an awful experience these days.

Says it all really. No accounting for taste.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I think he means due to farting aliens being added.

At least i hope he does.
hivemind likes this.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Not so much taste.

The prequels are essentially shit movies that slowly get better as Lucas watches them, realises where he went wrong and essentially relearns the art of film making.
Phantom menace is especially egregious as it's over reliance on CGI over practical effects are painfully obvious in HD. I got the chance to speak with most of the guys who worked on the practical effects who told me Lucas basically told them they wouldn't be needed for most of the shoot as the work was going to be done by computers. Then over half way through he suddenly began dumping more and more work on them in a panic as he realised nothing was working as it should. From all accounts the behind the scenes stories on phantom menace are more interesting than the finished film.

As for 4-6. Well that's just annoyance on my part. I can see the films I used to like peeking through the layers of CGI. Pratfalling jawas. Fake looking Jaba the hutt in episode 4. Greedo shooting first and numerous other irritations. Give me the untampered with versions I can watch them just fine.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 7th February 2018, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I have always called bullshit on people citing the extended universe books and comics as proof the characters have more depth. If it's not in the films then it's just fan fiction as far as I'm concerned. Disney did the right thing when they basically said they were ditching it all. Otherwise anyone hired to make a film has to read through several hundred novels in case they get details wrong. No writer wants that.
All the books and comics Disney are releasing now though are officially cannon; everything to come out after their buying of Lucasfilm is part of the real saga. The writers of all the franchise's media still have to make sure they get all the details right, so there's no contradictions in the overall continuity.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 7th February 2018, 01:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

George Lucas destroyed the Star Wars franchise long before the Mouse took over, the special editions of the original trilogy are awful, which is why I’ve kept hold of the DVD box set that has both versions included. If Disney decide to release the unlucased films on Blu Ray, I’ll be first in line, but at the minute I wouldn’t have the set given (ok that’s a lie, I’m from Yorkshire, we love freebies )
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!