Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2018, 02:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
was it not Ford who pushed for Solo to be killed, his views on the character have been very clear over the years, but yes it was a mistake to kill Han off.
I've no idea, Treb. Could well be.

I lost interest in Star Wars prior to leaving school, i haven't bought any merchandise since the end of Jedi and never actively seek out news on the subject or fan gossip.

I wonder why Doctor Who kept my interest but Star Wars didn't?

Answers on a postcard please.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th April 2018, 02:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, Harrison Ford badly wanted Solo to be killed off in Return of the Jedi. I'm sure that was a stipulation of his return to the franchise.

Having recently rewatched Force Awakens in preparation for Last Jedi home viewing, I'm convinced that episode 7 is the better film.

Around two thirds of Last Jedi is really good material imo. Remainder is dodgy. If they had brought in another director for reshoots (as happened with Rogue One), it would have been a much better film.

But Kathleen Kennedy apparently loved all of Johnson's footage. Even the silly clothes iron looking like a spaceship moment (presumably a tribute to Hardware Wars?).

I think Rogue One is the best Disney Star Wars film to date.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 13th April 2018, 02:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Yeah, Harrison Ford badly wanted Solo to be killed off in Return of the Jedi. I'm sure that was a stipulation of his return to the franchise.
I know he wished him killed off back then but that was over thirty years ago. Things change.

I wondered if he wanted him killed off so he could concentrate on a final Indy film but nothing has come of that yet.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th April 2018, 02:24 PM
Cult Veteran

If you watch the doc Director and the Jedi you can see quite clearly Hamill's journey. He was definitely pissed off about the script of the film and didn't like how Luke was portrayed but as he got to know Rian and saw how much he loved and believed in the project he slowly came around and understood why his story went the way it does. There was a bit of a 'eureka' moment when he took Hamill aside and let him in on the secret of what the title of the film was going to be.

I personally think that all the people who have a problem with the new film and saying how it "isn't Star Wars" need to have a look at that documentary!
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th April 2018, 02:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Indy 5 has recently been officially announced. 2020 release date.
keirarts likes this.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
was it not Ford who pushed for Solo to be killed, his views on the character have been very clear over the years, but yes it was a mistake to kill Han off.
Ford only agreed to the film on the basis they would kill Han off.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I personally think that all the people who have a problem with the new film and saying how it "isn't Star Wars" need to have a look at that documentary!
I think Hamill's already made it clear that The Last Jedi clearly sucks. The treatment of Hamill's character was one of the greatest travesties to befall a central character like Luke Skywalker. Just the story alone cleary indicates the central problem that this movie is poorly written.

Plus the core characters are weak: Rei had a lot of zest in the previous movie and was one of its few saving graces in some people's eyes, but she has become an insipid weakling in The Last Jedi. No documentary will make me see Johnson's film in a different light. Especially a documentary that really promotes Johnson's supposedly "bold" decisions, when quite clearly you can see just how uninspiring and creatively naff his choices were on this film. Ultimately, The Last Jedi betrays the core plot elements of the original movies, that is quite clear to see.

Johnson has no general concept of how to construct a fluid story from point A to point B. There's also no character development at all. It's all about pushing a neo-feminist angle. It's more Star Wars lite, than Star Wars gold.
Old 13th April 2018, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
But Kathleen Kennedy apparently loved all of Johnson's footage. Even the silly clothes iron looking like a spaceship moment (presumably a tribute to Hardware Wars?).

I think Rogue One is the best Disney Star Wars film to date.
Well when your offered $22 million to return to the Star Wars Universe, what would you do? Ford certainly wasn't stupid.

Both Kennedy and Johnson are more or less in bed together. Both share the same feminist ideology, and the very ideology that's been injected into the the Disney/Star Wars films. The alpha male is dead, and it's all about creating a Star Wars driven feminist subplot.

And Kathleen Kennedy is quite happy to admit it too.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 13th April 2018, 05:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Both Kennedy and Johnson are more or less in bed together. Both share the same feminist ideology, and the very ideology that's been injected into the the Disney/Star Wars films. The alpha male is dead, and it's all about creating a Star Wars driven feminist subplot.

And Kathleen Kennedy is quite happy to admit it too.
Well said Sir.
Old 13th April 2018, 06:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Well said Sir.
Cheers Dave.

Like this? Share it using the links below!