Like Tree2090Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2018, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's definitely in my top 20 best films of all time.

The 500 Greatest Movies of All Time

The list was selected in September 2008 by over 10,000 Empire readers
The list lost any credibility it could hope to achieve as soon as the above statement was made.

We should really do a Cult Labs Top 100 Films of All Time list. However, I fear that due to the 5 members who would contribute it would be a bit of a waste of time.
Old 28th May 2018, 12:18 PM
Cult Addict

We need a lando calrissian film. If only to see chilsish gambino F*** a droid.
Old 28th May 2018, 04:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Solo: A Star Wars Story

I hadn't read any reviews of this prior to watching it (I still haven't read any) and my only information was from the two trailers I'd caught at the cinema, things which left me fairly unimpressed and not exactly in a rush to see the film. So, on a cloudy bank holiday Monday (though one which is now beautifully sunny), I went to a fairly quiet Cineworld to see if the film would live down to expectations or leave me pleasantly surprised.

I suppose the verdict is a bit of both because the pacing is not at all consistent and the film can be very sluggish or quite exciting depending on what is happening and who is on screen, and why. It probably goes without saying that Alden Ehrenreich doesn't have the wit, charisma, or screen presence of Harrison Ford because, let's face it, few actors do. Therefore, it only took about five minutes before I (consciously or unconsciously) decided to treat this as a stand-alone film and not one related to the other Star Wars films, comparing it to films like Serenity, The Fifth Element, and Starship Troopers instead.

It is weaker than all of those and even doesn't stand up with the best films that Ron Howard has helmed over the years. The story is occasionally engaging and the ILM affects are stunning, but the action and 'space chase' sequences are nowhere near as gripping as those in Serenity or even the Guardians of the Galaxy films, probably because I knew the Millennium Falcon was not going to be blasted to bits by Tie fighters or sucked into a fiery black hole during the Kessel Run with Han Solo, Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian in the position to tell anyone they did it in under 12 parsecs rather than any major failings in the direction or editing. That said, Apollo 13 was based on real events and that's much more suspenseful! It's telling that perhaps the most engaging and visually impressive sequence the entire film, a robbery on a moving train was good, but less engaging than a similar one on Firefly; I've no idea whether that's down to the filmmaking or characters.

I felt the cast did very well with the material they had, with Ehrenreich as a decent leading man, Emilia Clarke showing she is as comfortable on the big screen as on HBO, Donald Glover is a charming and engaging version of Lando Calrissian, Woody Harrelson decent enough as Tobias Beckett, the grizzled space pirate who gives Han a chance, and Paul Bettany evil enough as the crime lord and main antagonist. However, I never thought the writing was strong enough, whether in world building or dialogue, and that's a major downfall in the film like this with so much mythology and information to draw on and put into the locations, characters, and events.

Overall, it's a solid, but largely underwhelming film which could, and should, have been so much better.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Simply put, none of the Star Wars films made after The Empire Strikes Back (best of the series, and it IS one of the greatest sequels) are as good as the first two. I doubt any new additions to the franchise will ever be on par with these. The cracks started to show in Return of the Jedi. Although, the only ones I don't like much are the first two prequels.

I thought Solo was a lot of fun. I went in with low expectations, and I came out pleasantly surprised. I'm tempted to catch it on the big screen one more time. Granted, it isn't a great film, and I could poke holes in it if I could be bothered (I'm hungover), but it's ultimately satisfying. I would say it's better than the prequels and The Force Awakens.

A solid ***1/2 out of *****

My new rankings:

The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
Solo
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 31st May 2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

My rankings..

STAR WARS
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
RETURN OF THE JEDI
ROGUE ONE
THE FORCE AWAKENS
SOLO
THE LAST JEDI
REVENGE OF THE SITH
ATTACK OF THE CLONES
THE PHANTOM MENACE

Old 31st May 2018, 03:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My rankings

The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Rogue One
Old 23rd June 2018, 05:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

According to sources, all Star Wars prequels have been shelved due to the mouse losing a shed load of money on Solo.

Star Wars Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm | Collider
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd June 2018, 05:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
According to sources, all Star Wars prequels have been shelved due to the mouse losing a shed load of money on Solo.

Star Wars Spinoffs on Hold at Lucasfilm | Collider
Know it did bad at box office but not this bad, this will make a lot of people happy, but I was more interested in the obi wan story than the next trilogy they have planned. Can see it being canned as well if 9 doesn't do well.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th July 2018, 08:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Scientist man's plan to save Star Wars

I thought this recent Red Letter Media 5 min video was quite amusing.

trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:09 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I thought this recent Red Letter Media 5 min video was quite amusing.

I love scientist man

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
SymbioticFunction likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!