Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2020, 09:31 AM
Cult Master

Heaven for some, hell for others!

The 192 Minute J.J. Abrams Rise Of Skywalker Cut Is Coming Sooner Than You Think | The Story Is Not The Story

"...The word is this:

An extended version of The Rise of Skywalker will be announced in the coming week, releasing near the end of January, and including 3-5 additional sequences fit into the narrative. This should bring the cut up from 142 minutes to about 165 minutes.

Rumored sequences to be included in this cut involve an extended Endor sequence that occurs before the final shot in the current film, Lobot and Lando in a sequence that predates the chase in the desert, and a slew of ghost Jedis returning alongside Luke and Leia and participating in the final sequence to unseat the Emperor.

This new cut will be simply treated as an Extended Cut, and will include a post-credits sequence highlighting additional sequences that will be released with the official Blu Ray release of The Rise of Skywalker which will have a special J.J. Abrams Director’s Cut version of the film at 185 minutes.

When The Rise of Skywalker enters the streaming window exclusively on Disney Plus it will include an additional 7 minutes of extra footage that didn’t get finished in post production as a part of its exclusive run on the streaming upstart."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th January 2020, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm confused, that article mentions like 4 different running times and none of them are 192

And I know this sounds insane, I'll be buying the bluray when it comes out to complete my set but i doubt i'll be watching it again

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th January 2020, 10:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

This is good news.
Old 7th January 2020, 12:43 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm confused, that article mentions like 4 different running times and none of them are 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
"This new cut will be simply treated as an Extended Cut, and will include a post-credits sequence highlighting additional sequences that will be released with the official Blu Ray release of The Rise of Skywalker which will have a special J.J. Abrams Director’s Cut version of the film at 185 minutes.
Plus

Quote:
When The Rise of Skywalker enters the streaming window exclusively on Disney Plus it will include an additional 7 minutes of extra footage that didn’t get finished in post production as a part of its exclusive run on the streaming upstart."
= 192 mins!

Old 9th January 2020, 04:58 PM
Cult Master

George Lucas with the prototype for 'R2-D2' in 1975

Old 9th January 2020, 05:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

i might get some riled but imo 'Last' is a better film than 'Rise'. Not saying that its better in terms of fan expectations of what a Star Wars movie should look like, I'm just saying its a better movie. It's better paced, better acted, better composed. It's action sequences are also better staged and edited and have more resonance /impact. Best thing in 'Rise' was Richard E. Grant - loved it when he shot that other guy who had been really irritating across two movies.

having said all that both films fall way short for storytelling and presenting interesting characters. out of the three lead characters Daisy Ridley is the best but none of them have any real screen presence. personally, i think it was messed up right from the start. the idea that Abrams was doing his best to save the series is hogwash. he set it up wrong in the first place with a very derivative, poor first chapter. I think Johnson tried to save it but it was unsavable and by being too fast and loose upset the fans. Abrams comes back and tries to backtrack, but by then it is too damn late.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th January 2020, 01:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've decided that I actually prefer the sequel trilogy over the prequels. I especially liked Adam Driver in these films.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
George Lucas with the prototype for 'R2-D2' in 1975

Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (5.8 KB, 3 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

Ok screw it,i'm gonna put it out there.
I saw the new Star Wars film and i really enjoyed it. sorry.
It generally made sense to me and i enjoyed the way they wrapped the story up.

Arse... so sue me i enjoyed it.

I saw all the films at the cinema when they came out and the original on the cinema screen is one of my first memories.
i played with the original toys.

After the mess the last film left the series in i don't think you could ask for a better resolution.
And i didn't hate the last film, it just was a bit of a downer.

The new one ties it all together thematically i thought.
It might not be perfect but it was a whole lot more satisfying to me than i expected.

Nothing in this world is perfect and the sooner Dr Who and Star wars fans realise that then we can all get along and enjoy our sci fi fetishes.
...Or something.
I'm pretty happy anyway.
8/10 at least.
So suck it fanboys.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 16th January 2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:30 PM
Cult Addict

THe thing with these sci- fi or whatever fantasies is they are a product of the age in which they are made.

They are never going to be the same as we grew up with, the heroes are new, the stories cannot be so different they turn fans off but they cannot be totally the same either.

They have to be relevant to modern society.

These stories are intergenerational.

The fact that i like Star wars and kids like it as well must be good.

A modern mythology.

Connecting new and old.

The fact that Star wars has connected the old to the new is pretty exceptional i feel, with the old stars playing a part.
I was impressed that the Leia stuff didn't feel out of place at all, something i was apprehensive about.

Maybe i was just dazzled by the cinema experience earlier.

But after all isn't that what it's all about anyway...escapism.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 16th January 2020 at 09:29 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!