Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   Blatant Star Wars Rip-Offs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/4554-blatant-star-wars-rip-offs.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 2nd February 2011 10:28 PM

Blatant Star Wars Rip-Offs

Hello!

So, it's pretty safe to say most people are huge fans of the original Star Wars trilogy. Darthelvis, I'm looking at you :laugh: but what about the various rip-offs and cash-ins. Films that nick and 'borrow' from the sci-fi epics yet fail to deliever anything in the same vein, resulting in some extremly bizzare and downright odd films.

So, have you seen many?

Obviously, the most famous one on the forum is the frankly genius The Beast In Space

YouTube - Beast in Space

But what about the more obscure film, War Of The Robots:

YouTube - War of the Robots 1978

Which is equally genius.

So, any films spring to mind. Cult / obscure / Downright weird.

P.S. I am your father.

Inspector Tanzi 3rd February 2011 12:26 AM

Dünyayi kurtaran Adam - Turkish Star Wars

YouTube - Turkish StarWars - Dünyayi kurtaran Adam

tris thompson 5th February 2011 08:24 PM

THE HUMANOID from 1979 in an amusing piece of pulp Italian star wars hokum - grows tedious very quickly despite the top notch cult cast - richard kiel, corrine clery, barbara bach and arthur kennedy!!!

Splatterdragon73 6th February 2011 09:47 AM

Imo you can't go wrong with Luigi Cozzi's Starcrash.

A typically hot Caroline Munro looking sexier than Princess Leia ever could, Marjoe Gortner as a poor man's Luke Skywalker, The Hoff sporting eyeliner, Christopher Plummer as 'The Emperor Of Space' and Joe Spinell as the villainous 'Count Zarth Arn'.

I'm also sure i saw The Beast In Heat himself Salvatore Boccaro in a blink-'n-you'll-miss-it part as a primitive caveman-type.

What's not to like?:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th February 2011 11:25 AM

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA
THE ICE PIRATES
SPACEHUNTER ADVENTURES IN THE FORBIDDEN ZONE

There was loads in the late '70's and eighties...:nod:

wayfarer 14th February 2011 10:40 AM

I don't see Battle Beyond the Stars or Spacehunter as real Star Wars rip-offs. Neither would have got made if it wasn't for the success of Star Wars though.

BBTS - This was yet another take on The Magnificent Seven and I don't recall much similarity to Star Wars. The main character in BBTS was a pacifist where as Luke had the blood of an adventurer and warrior running through his veins.

Spacehunter - the lead character was clearly a version of Han Solo but nothing else resembles the story or characters of Star Wars. Mad Max 2 maybe.;)

Of course, I consider the biggest rip-offs to be the actual prequels:lol:

Demoncrat 14th February 2011 11:41 AM

well theres the ripped off dogfights in Top Gunk, is that the sort of thing you mean? haha. war of the robots looks like a must though...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th February 2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 128156)
I don't see Battle Beyond the Stars or Spacehunter as real Star Wars rip-offs. Neither would have got made if it wasn't for the success of Star Wars though.

Exactly.;)

The old Skywalker saga opened the floodgates and anything in space was the in thing.:nod:

Nice feature in this month's Empire.....

Empire Magazine | Latest Issue - Buy or Subscribe Today | Empire

Demoncrat 17th March 2011 01:31 PM

just acquired this....
YouTube - Cosmos War of the Planets 01

its rather odd...:loco:

Robertinho2011 22nd July 2011 11:12 PM

Let's not forget Kinji Fukasaku's Message from Space (1978), one of the better Star Wars rip offs in my opinion.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd July 2011 04:55 PM

The most blatant,worst Star Wars rip off was a film called THE PHANTOM MENACE....:pound:

bdc 23rd July 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 136286)
just acquired this....
YouTube - Cosmos War of the Planets 01

its rather odd...:loco:

I also own War of the Planets (vhs),fun spaghetti scifi film imho. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd July 2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 168163)
The most blatant,worst Star Wars rip off was a film called THE PHANTOM MENACE....:pound:

Don't be daft Reaps, that was bugger all like Star Wars.

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd July 2011 09:22 PM

The animated film, Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin. A lot of elements from Star Wars in it. Saw this one at the cinema when it was originally released in 1985, and in 3D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthelvis 24th July 2011 12:18 PM

Always thought Battle Beyond the Stars was a Star Wars wannabe despite it being a scifi version of Magnificent Seven, love the film though.

On the Star Wars note, just bought myself an R2 unit pepper mill for my new house! Going to fill my kitchen with as much Star Wars utensils as possible!:woot::crazy:

Demoncrat 25th July 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 168180)
I also own War of the Planets (vhs),fun spaghetti scifi film imho. :)

ah WOTP...have to ask what label its on? as my dvdr is, shall we say, muddy to say the least....and may have come from a rip (cough cough, mods you didnt see this right?;))

Splatterdragon73 26th July 2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 168182)
The animated film, Starchaser: The Legend Of Orin. A lot of elements from Star Wars in it. Saw this one at the cinema when it was originally released in 1985, and in 3D!

A pretty good effort this title imo and God only knows how many times i saw the trailer on various E.I.V. releases back in the '80s. Suitably intrepid main theme too.:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th July 2011 06:32 PM

It obviously wasn't a rip off like most of the films mentioned, but Moonraker was released to cash in on the sci fi wave of euphoria created by Star Wars. It was the most succesful Bond film by far until Brosnan arrived.

Aurora75 9th May 2012 04:23 PM

Galaxina has a few in there too...

Demoncrat 29th November 2017 08:03 PM

Have to mention The War In Space (1977, Hondo Ishuro) for the blatant "fuzzball" character :lol: