Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree899Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2016, 06:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Swarm 1978

The Swarm 1978

I almost feel that I should defend the honour of The Swarm since it got such a beating when its was released, I'm not a fan of all these Golden Raspberry type Award's. And when The Sunday Times described The Swarm as "simply the worst film ever made" then I figure somebody needs to bee in its corner. Irwin Allen could never have known that the film would bomb tremendously at the cinema, nor would he have guessed it would of been as pillared as it was. Michael Caine has constantly cited it as his worst move,and he should know,considering some of the utter tosh he has made in his career,still he is not alone there is a tremendous amount of talent in the film.to many to list but its a disaster movies dream cast .I think its main problem is its to big for its own boots,to many big name actors,too much budget and very little in the way of tension,suspense or fear from its buzzing protagonists .Maybe bees are not scary enough,not even the African killer bees can elicit much in the way of scares ,mainly because whenever we see the critters on screen there either a mass of dots or big black rain cloud.Only when we see the results of a sting on a human do we get the frightening visage of a giant bee buzzing in front of his poisoned and deluded victim.hovering there waiting for him to open a jar of jam. You also get the feeling that some of the actors do not seem to be taking this very seriously,Katharine Ross as Helena Anderson looks like she is constantly about to burst into laughter,Richard Widmark as General Thaddeus Slater looks like he might shoot some of his fellow cast members if he was actually given a real gun and poor old Michael Caine as Dr. Bradford Crane looks like he has been tranquillized and just shuffles from one scene to another.Its really not that bad,total bollocks yes,,but fun bollocks,and to be honest its just as funny as the The Airplane spoofs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the swarm poster 3.jpg (97.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 9th May 2016, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Swarm 1978

when The Sunday Times described The Swarm as "simply the worst film ever made"
They hadn't seen Konga, obviously.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)

Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)

If the creepy crawly spiders do not get your hairs standing on end then Dorsey Burnette singing the theme tune Peaceful Verde Valley,will have you digging out that ear worm with a rusty trowel.John "Bud" Cardos gives what is probably his best directorial effort ( and lets be honest it hasn't much competition) about a town called Verde Valley,which is slowly being taking over by tarantulas or hairy pipe cleaners,depending on which you find the most horrifying.But never fear because Shatner is here as Dr. Robert "Rack" Hansen the local veterinarian who struts around town like an extra from Brokeback Mountain.Then there is poor old Walter Colby (Woody Strode) whose prize cow has been bitten to death by the feisty arachnoids,which means he will not be winning best of breed at the local fair this year,the cow that is not Woody Strode .But in comes the very nice Tiffany Bolling as Diane Ashley as an arachnologist who identifies the poison as spider venom and so has to convince the local towns folk that they are all in danger,of course that stick in the mud Mayor Connors (why is it always the Mayor that's never believes anything anyone tells them) does not believe it and will not cancel the towns festivities.Its all rather silly and frothy and the only thing more menacing than a a bunch of spiders is Shatners hair piece looming large.But I have to admit that the most of the spiders scenes are pretty effective and a couple of times when bodies pop up cocooned in the spiders web I did check under the chair and over my shoulder just in case I had some hairy visitors by my side.William Shatner while not the greatest of actors is never dull and does always put plenty of energy into his rolls,its also good seeing Woody Strode doing his thing also and Tiffany Bolling is if nothing else good on the eyes.I enjoy Kingdom of the Spiders its entertaining and fun and a good companion to The Giant Spider Invasion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kingdom_of_the_spiders_poster_02.jpg (98.3 KB, 0 views)

Old 28th May 2016, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Never seen Kingdom of the Spiders. It sounds worth a watch.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Never seen Kingdom of the Spiders. It sounds worth a watch.
Yeah it use to pop up on BBC 2 back in the day,it comes up cheap every now and again on Amazon,could do with a decent uk release.

Old 28th May 2016, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah it use to pop up on BBC 2 back in the day,it comes up cheap every now and again on Amazon,could do with a decent uk release.
Do you have the Shout release? That sounds like the one to get. Anyway, it's in the wishlist now.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Do you have the Shout release? That sounds like the one to get. Anyway, it's in the wishlist now.
No I got the Good Times Video release which is a bit meh, but I also got the Dutch version which is much better,but the shout version is the best.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 28th May 2016, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No I got the Good Times Video release which is a bit meh, but I also got the Dutch version which is much better,but the shout version is the best.
I might be wrong but i'm sure they used to show stuff like this on a Saturday evening on BBC1. Do you remember when they aired The Martian Chronicles? Well around that time. Films like The Swarm and Ants
Old 28th May 2016, 10:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I might be wrong but i'm sure they used to show stuff like this on a Saturday evening on BBC1. Do you remember when they aired The Martian Chronicles? Well around that time. Films like The Swarmand Ants
Yeah you might be right,as a kid I seem to remember they would show films after repeating the highlights of Wimbledon on a Saturday night,for are younger readers this was in the days of the 3 channels and no internet.

Old 28th May 2016, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah you might be right,as a kid I seem to remember they would show films after repeating the highlights of Wimbledon on a Saturday night,for are younger readers this was in the days of the 3 channels and no internet.
I'd love to go back to those days of three channels. I'd actually watch loads of tv. They showed great stuff all the time not just every so often.

No cooking, house make overs, or escaping to the country, or Britain's talentless, just quality television and films.

Can i keep the internet though?

Like this? Share it using the links below!