Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Eighties Sci-Fi Thread. (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/8488-eighties-sci-fi-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th February 2009 08:42 PM

The 80's Sci-Fi thread

7 Attachment(s)
Obviously with the success of STAR WARS and it's sequel THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK,a lot of sci-fi films with a fraction of the budget of Lucas's saga were greenlit....what were your favourites?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th February 2009 08:52 PM

7 Attachment(s)
There were loads on the video shop shelves.....

NossB 18th February 2009 08:58 PM

StarCrash and Galaxina, I wasn't too happy when BCI pulled their release of both these movies a few days before they were due to be released.

Also, The Black Hole

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th February 2009 09:10 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I've a soft spot for Trancers,Timerider and the classic Galaxy of Terror.I remember seeing Battle Beyond the Stars at the cinema...:o

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th February 2009 09:26 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I used to own that KRULL poster when I was a pup.Also liked The Philadelphia Experiment.I've got a Dutch DVD of that which features the artwork used on the Thorn-Emi video...:cool:
I know old Almar loves his XTRO.....:woot:

eiren 19th February 2009 10:35 AM

http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/COVER...0COVER%201.jpg

Good fun film.

vincenzo 19th February 2009 11:39 AM

Xtro was a classic. :cool:

Angel 19th February 2009 12:40 PM

Invaders from Mars remake was dismal compared to the original.

The Humanoid which starred Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach was quite entertaining.

Daemonia 19th February 2009 01:06 PM

I remember The Humanoid very well, it was very entertaining! Xtro is brilliant and a firm favourite of mine - how can you not love a film that features a life-size, murderous Action Man? Battle Beyond the Stars I saw at the cinema upon release and had a great time with it - and let's not forget Tron either. I also vaguely recall seeing some Captain Nemo film in the late 70's too, I remember it because a trailer for Craven's The Hills Have Eyes came on first and it gave me the creeps.

vincenzo 19th February 2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 22251)
I also vaguely recall seeing some Captain Nemo film in the late 70's too, I remember it because a trailer for Craven's The Hills Have Eyes came on first and it gave me the creeps.

I think that was The Amazing Captain Nemo (aka Return Of Captain Nemo) with Jose Ferrer.

davejay 19th February 2009 03:50 PM

What no MEGAFORCE???!!!

mark meakin 19th February 2009 04:37 PM

Yes definitely no Megaforce !:ack:.My favourites some of which I saw at the flicks though not all are neccesarily great:-
Battle Beyond The Stars (Corny but fun)
The Last Starfighter (Really used to like this a lot)
The Humanoid (Saw this at the local cinema)
Star Trek-The Wrath Of Khan (Still one of my favourite Trek films)
Galaxy Of Terror (Good gory fun)
Hangar 18 (enjoyable conspiracy nonsense)
Saturn Three (I'd like to see the full original cut of this)
Forbidden World (Not a patch on GOT but OK enough)
Xtro (Love when the Action Man bayonets Lou Beale & a pre Living Daylights Maryam d'Abo remains in the memory !:D)
Bladerunner (This grew on me over the years despite me not liking it the first time I watched the Warner rental tape)
Dune (I've always found this underrated)
Battletruck (Enjoyable Kiwi Mad Max clone)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th February 2009 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davejay (Post 22257)
What no MEGAFORCE???!!!

Just for you Dave.....:D

Daemonia 20th February 2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 22253)
I think that was The Amazing Captain Nemo (aka Return Of Captain Nemo) with Jose Ferrer.

That's the one! I remember that even as an easily entertained youngster I could see that it was a pretty shoddy affair! Still enjoyed it it though - whoever took me to see that (might have been my friend's Dad) could well be responsible for my appalling taste in movies! :D

Pete 20th February 2009 11:03 AM

The Terminator
Robocop
After the Fall of New York
Inseminoid

vincenzo 20th February 2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 22299)
That's the one! I remember that even as an easily entertained youngster I could see that it was a pretty shoddy affair! Still enjoyed it it though - whoever took me to see that (might have been my friend's Dad) could well be responsible for my appalling taste in movies! :D

It was originally a 2½ hr TV mini-serial, cut down to 100 mins (and it showed).

Daemonia 20th February 2009 12:53 PM

Yes, it did look a tad shortened! I seem to recall it didn't make a whole load of sense either. Still, back in the 70's, as a kid, any trip to the cinema was an event! (We didn't have VCR's then either, kiddies - so once a film ran theatrically, that was it, unless it showed up on TV!)

I really want to see this again now... :D

KPWNINJA 26th February 2009 06:54 PM

Trancers!!! :D

pedromonkey 30th December 2009 10:32 PM

Battle Beyond The Stars.Why has this gem of a movie never been released on dvd. i know there is a dvd of it floating around amazon that i think is dutch, but it's never had a release in the u.k or as im aware, the U.S either. I would by this in a heartbeat if it was released. Magnificent Seven in space with Hannibal from the A-Team and John Boy from the Waltons....what's more to love.....

Paul 30th December 2009 10:35 PM

How can you not enjoy a film that has a spaceship with boobies!:jest:

vincenzo 30th December 2009 10:42 PM

Great fun. One of my favourite 80's space movies.

I have the US DVD (released by New Concorde) and the UK Warner video.

pedromonkey 30th December 2009 10:42 PM

if im right, films like ice pirates used the same space crafts, because, being a roger corman production it was cheaper to use the same shots. i think they used them from this. I just looked on Amazon and the cheapest dvd is 21.99...

i need to find Damnation ally aswel.....love that film.

vincenzo 30th December 2009 10:46 PM

I've got Damnation Alley on video as well. Don't think it's had a DVD release anywhere yet for some reason. Another great fun film featuring a young Jackie Earle Haley.

First saw it on the cinema in the late 70's with (I think) David Carradine's Thunder And Lightning.

pedromonkey 30th December 2009 10:53 PM

i love Damnation Ally, seems that George Peppard made the round in 70s and 80s sci-fi. the only problem i have with Ally is the scorpions, they looked a little bit silly, but still a great movie. Another film i've been trying to get hold of is a T.V movie from 1974 starring Peter Graves called Where have all the People gone, i managed to watch it on youtube and loved it but can only find a double Feature dvd with Embryo that is around $21....

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st December 2009 09:31 AM

I'm wondering if Battle beyond The Stars will get a re-release in the U.S.? Maybe in a second wave of Corman Classics.would be nice to see it in blu-ray too

mark meakin 31st December 2009 09:37 AM

Here's some screencaps ( from the R2 disc)I've posted of this terrific film on the WORLDWIDEDVDFORUMS.I got my german W/S release for about a tenner off Ebay.
http://home.worldwidedvdforums.com/f...p?f=71&t=16825

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPWNINJA (Post 22610)
Trancers!!! :D

Dry hair's for squids!!!!! :D

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Timerider:The Adventure Of Lyle Swann :thumb: It's a pity that the Anchor Bay dvd only contains the cut PG version.Peter Coyote trying to ride the motorcycle is hilarious.

vincenzo 6th January 2010 11:43 AM

The old UK video was uncut. Crazy that they used the PG version for the US DVD.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 11:44 AM

Yeah I used to have the vhs version and got rid of it when I bought the dvd :doh:

pedromonkey 6th January 2010 02:17 PM

is timerider the one with klaus kinski?

also anyone remember THE TIME GUARDIAN (1987). Aussie sci-fi with carrie fisher?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 56559)
is timerider the one with klaus kinski?

That's Timestalkers you're thinking of.

pedromonkey 6th January 2010 02:33 PM

which one is TimeRider? does it have dale midkiff init?

ignore that, im getting mixed up with things, just imdb'd it and i've never seen it.

the dale midkiff thing was TIME TRAX,

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 04:29 PM

Hawkmen... DIIIIIIVVE!

http://www.moviegoods.com//Assets/pr...624.1020.A.jpg

One of my favourite sci-fi films of the 80's and perhaps all time,Flash Gordon. One of the campest films ever,with truly gringe worthy dialogue that makes me shiver with embarrassment everytime I watch it and yet for all it's faults,it's one of the most fun films I've ever seen.From Brian blessed's over the top performance as Prince Vultan and Max Von Sydow as Ming The Merciless to the lovely Ornella Muti as Princess Aura (yummy),there's just something about the film that you can't help but like.Would love to have seen the film with Sam Jones's real voice but apparently he was dubbed after a falling out with the producers and refused to go back into the studio in post-production.

Pete 6th January 2010 04:30 PM

I have never seen Flash Gordon:blush:

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 04:32 PM

:eek: Don't know what you're missing.

Pete 6th January 2010 04:36 PM

:biggrin:

It's out on dvd over here isn't it?

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 04:38 PM

Yeah there was a good Silver Anniversary edition released a couple of years ago.Might still be able to pick up a copy somewhere and I believe there's been another edotion released more recently.

Pete 6th January 2010 04:40 PM

Cheers Might look for a copy when I go out tomorrow.

vincenzo 6th January 2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 56578)
One of my favourite sci-fi films of the 80's and perhaps all time,Flash Gordon.

I saw it on the cinema back in the 80's and still love it now. Great fun from start to finish. The Silver Edition DVD with the booklet is the only way to go.

The Brian Blessed commentary is hilarious (and deafening). :lol: