Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2008, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Inside cover....special thanks to blah,blah,blah......and that bastard Reaper....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
The punching of the horse was intact last night despite being cut from the UK dvd though the old RCA Columbia video versions never cut this anyway.
Yes the entire horse punch is completely missing in the Sanctuary DVD though intact in the videos (the whole opening fight scene is extremely messily cut though the cuts length has been reduced to 19 secs). Strange that the BBFC decided to make this an additional cut. A similar shot has always been left intact in Blazing Saddles though the horsefall in that was arranged completely differently. Perhaps given the amount of tripwires used for other falls in CTD was enough to convince the BBFC to remove this one too.

If the full print of CTB was resubmitted now the sex scene would be restored. The current UK print is a distributor-edited one.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

In Blazing Saddles you can tell he hasn't really punched the horse. Also ITV4 also shown Michael Winners Chato's Land anyone know if it was the cut or uncut version?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 5th December 2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As far as I know it is the cut version minus the horse falls.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

What was cut from Chato's Land? I'm guessing the rape and snake killing were both trimmed....
Old 5th December 2008, 09:57 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
What was cut from Chato's Land? I'm guessing the rape and snake killing were both trimmed....
The rape scene, the horsefalls, the shooting of the burning Indian, and Simon Oakland getting smacked in the face with the rock (the last two were missing from the video print or pre-edited). The UK DVD restores all the violence but retains the horsefall cuts (14 secs).
Old 6th December 2008, 08:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
ITV 4 first showed Chato's Land uncut.I only saw the sequence where Victor French has his horse shot from under him (the last BBFC cut for animal cruelty in the film).However complaints were obviously made & the film was cut as the DVD in later screenings.Ulzana's Raid is excessively cut on the channel removing violence cut from the theatrical version (restored to video/dvd) as well as several horse sidefalls not considered cruel by the BBFC.During the ambush at the end the ITV 4 screening even cut the footage of Lancaster shooting the horses pulling the wagon dead though the BBFC have never cut this or an earlier scene,where a woman & her son are ambushed by Ulzana & one of their horses pulling their wagon is shot dead.The snake killing in CL has never suffered cuts.The PG rated US dvd is very similar to the censored 18 classified Warner tape though the horsefalls are intact.However the rape scene is an alternate softer 'clothed' version eliminating the nudity.The US dvd also loses a C-U of a bullet wound in Ralph Waites hand.I'm surprised this grim film was not left intact & released uncut with an 'R' in the states,as it's still not really suitable for kids in its PG version IMHO.
Old 6th December 2008, 10:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Chato's Land was given a PG in USA? Those yankees are crazy.

Two scenes that I think look cut in Chato's Land are the snake bite murder and the rape. It's either that or it's badly edited . According to the BBFC's website it's got 41 seconds trimmed from it. From what you're saying I'm guessing most of those 41 seconds have now been waived?
Old 6th December 2008, 10:36 AM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

Quote:
Chato's Land was given a PG in USA? Those yankees are crazy.
They certainly were in the early 70s, all sorts got passed at PG (though not always uncut) - Hammer, Andy Milligan, Blood and Lace. They've tightened up a lot since then but of course their home entertainment ratings system is a lot different to ours - hence the unrated TCM2 could go out with an R on the box...

Interesting info on all these TV/DVD versions including Conan. Thanks all for posting.
Old 6th December 2008, 11:08 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
According to the BBFC's website it's got 41 seconds trimmed from it. From what you're saying I'm guessing most of those 41 seconds have now been waived?
The BBFC waived the rape scene and the nudity for the 2004 DVD. The only UK cuts now are 14 secs of horsefalls.

Like this? Share it using the links below!