Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2009, 12:33 AM
Cultist

Default Best Shameless Taglines

Many of the films which Shameless have released boast some very outrageous and catchy taglines. The ones that stand out for me are 'He's The Critter From The Shitter' (Ratman), 'At Last the Slut Is Uncut' (Killer Nun) and 'Where Whores Meet Saws' (Torso). Any more suggestions..?
Old 4th May 2009, 10:28 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Welcome aboard Christian - you've hit the ground running here for sure!

The old taglines sure upset some people whilst others love 'em. As the Shameless films within the first collection become more unusual it's been harder to slap on slut-based taglines!

For Arrow I thought we'd dump all front of pack taglines and quotes and leave the art clean which is pretty unusual these days I realised - it wasn't any big revelation but every old DVD sleeve out there is thatched in quotes.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:33 AM
Cultist

Hey Almar! It was the quotes and the retro yello sleeves that made the DVD boxes stand out among all the others when I first saw them in HMV (they're really easy to find in shops like Fopp where they're unorganised). The outrageous taglines, excessive nudity and gruesome pics made you realise you were in some some good ol' exploitation.

Watched Night Train Murders early this morning. Really enjoyed it actually, despite people labelling it as a rip-off of The Last House on the Left I found it far superiour (can't stand Wes Craven's film). Keep 'em coming...
Old 4th May 2009, 04:50 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

It's funny thinking back nearly three years when I was in meetings saying yellow cases, x-rated artwork and lurid taglines are the only way people will find Shameless hidden away in horror sections. That has worked but it's a slwo and continuous process - you've just now made it onto the forums in a process that started from (I'd imagine) a poorly stocked store. It's pretty darn cool but what this does illustrate is a process that's now too slow for DVD companies. They want instant results - instant fans and instant success week 1 or it's all a huge waste of time.

so that's my ponder for the day!

As for Night Train Murders it is CHILLING stuff! It was awesome for Shameless to be able to bring that one to UK fans.
Old 4th May 2009, 05:03 PM
Cultist

Up until a few months ago the only DVD companies I really rated for horror fans were Anchor Bay and Blue Underground but it's good that the more obscure exploitation and giallo films are getting a lease of life. The sleazy aspect of the pictures and the bright yellow cover helps them stand out, as posters these days are too generic and lack appeal. Up until the eighties, they used to be outrageous and try to top the last film, but since Scream horror posters seem content with just showing close up headshots of the actors. So the approach you've taken has given customers an alternative, something a little more retro and raw. That is something to be proud of!

Just posted an article on Night Train Murders if you're interested, it's in the new column I'm doing on giallo. You can check them at http://retroslashers.net/blog/tag/spaghetti-slashers/ if you like.
Old 5th May 2009, 03:56 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Cool review - cool site!
Old 5th May 2009, 04:43 PM
Cultist

Thanks, much appreciated! I'm trying to cover the more obscure ones as much as the more famous films, so any suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Any chance we will be seeing the return of those lurid taglines?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 7th May 2009, 09:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

'WHORE ABOARD'..........'VIOLENZA'....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th May 2009, 10:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When pussy goes bad..
Ratman pussy hunter..
At last the slut is uncut..
When i go beserk youre better off dead..

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!