Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2013, 02:55 PM
Cultist

The most important thing is the film itself, but I'll always go for the version with the best packaging, artwork and extras.

"The monster was the best friend I ever had" - Boris Karloff.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My first consideration is the best version/transfer of the film. If there's a couple with identical content, then I'll choose on artwork. Bad artwork won't put me off if it's the best version of the film out there.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:40 AM
Cultist

It does boil down to the film itself, and what features are available on said film.....

But presentation is a huge, huge plus for me. I can't tell you how many times I usually look away from certain box art in my own collection. But I'm all too eager to show off my boxset of Phantasm, Hellraiser, the Blind Dead and the amazing bluray release of Battle Royale (by Arrow of course)
Old 19th January 2013, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I love to have the artwork etc. With a download all you get is the film with none of the extras etc. Its like going back to VHS.
Old 11th February 2013, 04:56 PM
Cult Rookie

When it's the original cinema artwork, then it adds that something extra to the dvd, like an album sleeve, where whilst listening to the music, you examine the album front to back, and vice versa, the same is with the dvd, after you've bought it, you do something similar whilst travelling on your way home, or in the comfort of your own home.

So when I get a Shameless dvd. I immediately turn it over, as it has that nostalgic feel, and the artwork gives that 70s (or whatever decade it was made) vibe when holding it in my hands (the dvd I mean). or in most cases where the tagline is very misogynistic, for example, The Night Train Murders, where the tagline was, whore's aboard. Or the worst artcover in the Shameless dvd collection, Killer Nun.
Old 11th February 2013, 05:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd75dylan View Post
When it's the original cinema artwork, then it adds that something extra to the dvd, like an album sleeve, where whilst listening to the music, you examine the album front to back, and vice versa, the same is with the dvd, after you've bought it, you do something similar whilst travelling on your way home, or in the comfort of your own home.
I'm glad someone made that comparison, as I'm sure if some classic albums were re-released with new artwork, most fans wouldn't be happy.
So what's so wrong with us genre film obsessives feeling the same way about our artwork?
bdc likes this.
Old 11th February 2013, 05:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I bought an older dvd just for the original artwork while I already owned the newly remastered dvd...
So one to look at and one to watch I guess...
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:23 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I bought an older dvd just for the original artwork while I already owned the newly remastered dvd...
So one to look at and one to watch I guess...
As a commercial artist, DVD covers make up about 30% of my income so obviously I'm biased but I think Graham Humphreys hit it on the head when he said that the most important benefit of putting good artwork on a disc is that it tells the public that the distributer has a high regard for both his product and his customer. I recently bought a steelbook of Curse of the Werewolf to gen up on the film for a DarkSide illustration. I got it at a knocked down price despite the fact the two disc set was loaded with goodies and I'm convinced that's because the cover art stunk! Elektrocity would have bunged a decent artist (or me!) a few hundred quid and made this a really attractive buy.
I do agree that alot of the original covers are pretty unbeatable. When I got handed The Beyond to do I checked out the original posters and nearly pooped myself! Arrow of course wouldn't expect me to turn out in a week something comparable to what Europe's finest poster designers did back in the 80's but as attractive as those great artworks were, they've been fronting videos and DVD's for years.
I do think that it's no coincidence that the most successsful DVD distributers today are the ones that make an effort to offer original attractive packaging.
So there.

Like this? Share it using the links below!