Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2011, 07:05 PM
Ex-Member

Default Do people still care about artwork and boxes

In this era of downloads do you still care about having box art. I personally can't imagine anything worse than not collecting films and having a real hardcopies in my collection. Shameless titles look great lined up, as do Arrow.

But if like me, you enjoy collecting and having a collection, would you buy a shameless or arrow title if you knew you didn't like the film.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

All the Arrow and Shameless films I have bought, I have never seen.(Apart form Dawn of the Dead). So the reason I buy them is to collect the art There are plenty films that I love but do not own, as I haven't come across any packaging that I either like or can afford But that is just how I collect, everyone's different. Today I watched Almost Human. Never seen it before, did enjoy it but probably won't watch it again. But I do have the nice lenticular sleeve to look at; which fills me with joy
Old 26th September 2011, 08:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
would you buy a shameless or arrow title if you knew you didn't like the film.
Hell no! I do love the idea of having a complete collection on my shelf, but not to the extent that I'd spend my cash on films I don't like (there are too many good films out there!). On the other hand, if the release has interesting enough special features, then hell yes! I only bought Last House on the Left for the extras, but ended up enjoying the film too (to my surprise) . . .
Old 26th September 2011, 09:09 PM
Cult Rookie

I wouldn't say i was a collector but wouldn't buy a film i knew i didn't like because of the artwork but i would be willing to pick up (And frequently do buy) dvds and blu rays based on the artwork and for me, that's where Shameless and particularly Arrow differentiate and raise their game above other companies.

But to the point, if i knew i didn't like the film i still wouldn't buy it but i do double dip or pick up an unknown or film i like (such as NYR or Pieces) if i like the package.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I probably wouldn't, because I think Vamp is shit, so I still haven't picked it up!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I probably wouldn't, because I think Vamp is shit, so I still haven't picked it up!
Booooo

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 26th September 2011, 10:43 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Booooo
double boo...vamp is awesome. billy drago...sexy dancers...it was the orginal from dusk till dawn.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:23 AM
Cultist

Yes i care about artworks and boxes, no way i would pay for downloads, i want my movies in my shelf, on factory pressed discs.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:01 AM
Cultist

Strange one for me this. I'm a big fan of old VHS sleeves and grubby grindhouse style artwork and used to love collecting old weird looking tapes based on the covers (which often turned out to be terrible!)

I find now that I'm older I care less and less about the artwork and more about the quality of disc etc. While it's nice, and preferable, to have blurays and DVDs nicely packaged I can help but feel that it's the least important aspect of them - I don't display them for presentation and I don't pull them out and sit and marvel at the boxes... I take out the disc, watch it, then chuck it back on the shelf. Great sleeves are just a bonus really.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 27th September 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggenhagen View Post
Strange one for me this. I'm a big fan of old VHS sleeves and grubby grindhouse style artwork and used to love collecting old weird looking tapes based on the covers (which often turned out to be terrible!)

I find now that I'm older I care less and less about the artwork and more about the quality of disc etc. While it's nice, and preferable, to have blurays and DVDs nicely packaged I can help but feel that it's the least important aspect of them - I don't display them for presentation and I don't pull them out and sit and marvel at the boxes... I take out the disc, watch it, then chuck it back on the shelf. Great sleeves are just a bonus really.
I pretty much fall into this camp too. Saying that, good covers are nice to have, and a bad cover will certainly put me off a blind buy/impulse purchase.

When all is said and done, it's the quality of the presentation on the film that matters to me. I don't display my BDs/DVDs as such, they sit on a shelf and all you can see is the spine. And, again, this isn't to say I don't appreciate good artwork, I do. But I have neither the time, inclination nor space to display my collection, as such. A film arrives, it comes out the case, I watch it, back in the case it goes, and it's assigned to the next available space on the shelf. It's no more complicated than that for me.

That said, I do understand that some people are passionate about the artwork and general packaging of their DVDs/BDs and that's cool as well. DVD and BD marketers need to cater to both camps really. Good artwork and a superb presentation of the content on the disc.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!