Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shameless FAQ

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2008, 07:45 AM
Ex-member

Default Subtitles

Shameless must release the titşes with english subtitles.For example New York Ripper is censoured and it has no subtitles.Who wants to buy a censoured DVD without subtitles option and put it into his/her collection?
Old 30th May 2008, 08:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well, the rude tone sounds familliar. Isn't it our old pal "Kameron" using another nick?
Seriously- IF I should be wrong: How could you expect getting any serious reply to this "first post" opening with a harsh demand instead of simply asking in a more polite and normal fashion?

"Shameless" DON'T HAS TO do anything, but they're very open to fan suggestions and questions, so if you give your next post a little thought before barking out demands you'll certainly get the answer you're looking for.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:02 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENEBRAE View Post
Shameless must release the titşes with english subtitles.For example New York Ripper is censoured and it has no subtitles.Who wants to buy a censoured DVD without subtitles option and put it into his/her collection?
For someone who doesn't like Shameless' output, you sure do spend a lot of time on their website.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

BTW "Tenebrae": What subtitles are you referring to? Subtitles for the hard of hearing?
Original audio with English subs???
I'm a bit confused....or not, really, since I doubt this thread has anything to do with its supposed topic anyway.

Last edited by Peter Neal; 30th May 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:44 AM
Active Cultist

I have been chatting with an online friend from Italy the other day about subtitles, trying to persuade him to do some subs- I suggested la pretora (as I would) as a fansub, anyhow with his translations - they might need a bit of ironing out (I don't mean to sound patronising to the guy but english is his second language and not first), anyhow he is looking at the subtitling software at the moment and I have taken a look at subtitle files and they are not that complex to set up. The guy is a major exploitation/horror fan.

anyhow if I could ask my mate if he wil help shameless out I will, though I am sure you have your own people almar,

thing is, there are titles that exist that are not available in english, either dub or sub, just a thought but I am sure that giallo collectors, italian sex comedy collectors (I adore fenech personally) would pick up titles with the sub treatment whre no version curently exists for the non italian speaking viewer.

its just an idea, but I ll drop the guy a line if you like, see if shameless and he can work something out.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 30th May 2008, 09:45 AM
Ex-member

Original Italian Audio with English Subtitles or English Audio with English subtitles.If shameless will go on in this market, they must add subtitles to their releases.This is my idea of course.Also i am not Kamaran or whatever it is.
Old 30th May 2008, 10:00 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
I have been chatting with an online friend from Italy the other day about subtitles, trying to persuade him to do some subs- I suggested la pretora (as I would) as a fansub, anyhow with his translations - they might need a bit of ironing out (I don't mean to sound patronising to the guy but english is his second language and not first), anyhow he is looking at the subtitling software at the moment and I have taken a look at subtitle files and they are not that complex to set up. The guy is a major exploitation/horror fan.

anyhow if I could ask my mate if he wil help shameless out I will, though I am sure you have your own people almar,

thing is, there are titles that exist that are not available in english, either dub or sub, just a thought but I am sure that giallo collectors, italian sex comedy collectors (I adore fenech personally) would pick up titles with the sub treatment whre no version curently exists for the non italian speaking viewer.

its just an idea, but I ll drop the guy a line if you like, see if shameless and he can work something out.
Always open to more input Herman. I would love to give you all ****-off editions with DTS tracks, tin cases, multiple language options, extras to die for and more. It's just not possible but... as time goes on our product is improving as the numbers slowly creep up and it's all thanks to pressure from you guys.

We can usually get Italian audio and we have looked into subtitles but when you pay an authoring house to so the job it's very expensive. We could do it in-house but it's very time-consuming but it keeps rearing it's head with us and one future title has been potentially ear-marked for subtitles.

It's all a balancing act - a couple of months ago I would have said Shameless was not going to last past the first collection but with some very careful juggling we're talking seriously about the future and always about improvement but the fan input is very valuable from donating artwork to helping out with audio quality issues and more.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:07 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Hell, if you keep putting titles like Designated Victim, Frightened Woman, Ratman, Dirty Pictures and Phantom of Death - you don't need anything more than a decent audio/visual presentation and some funky cover art!!!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 30th May 2008, 11:45 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well that was always the idea - keep it simple and then we can release plenty of titles but as time goes on, and being fans ourselves, we yearn to do more - we just have to pace ourselves but what has always been clear in my mind that the film rules no.1 - I sometimes look at all these multiple special editions I have of the same film and think shit I'm bored with the film now - why do I want all these extras?
Old 30th May 2008, 12:32 PM
Cultist

I've always thought of it as Shameless being a UK company, first and formost. New York Ripper might be available in other parts of the world in various editions but this is the UK issue. Not everyone wants to be dealing with importing various different editions of the film. And given that the BBFC seems more interested in making sure films adhere to legal boundaries rather than their own moral ones these days, importing certain cuts of certain films is a risky business. This is a company for us run by people in the UK who are getting these films out into our chain stores.

The appeal of Shameless has never been about finding the definitive version of any film and getting all sorts of bonus features for me. It's been about seeing some interesting looking films that I haven't seen before in a convenient and cheap way. Where films are uncut it's great, but I'll not be paying ?15 to order an illegal copy of a film I've never seen before and then have to wait 3 weeks for it to turn up (assuming I've been lucky and my postman hasn't seen his way to robbing it or kicking it down the road, Ace Ventura style).

With regard to Shameless' future; adding features and such to the DVD's might be a useful way to break the international market. But for UK high streets I think a wealth of titles is the way to go.

Like this? Share it using the links below!