Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shameless FAQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2010, 01:32 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Default Suggestions for Shameless Numbering Method

I've moved these posts here to have one thread dealing with the Shameless numbering issue.

I have had a response to Shameless over the numbering of discs. I'm putting it in this thread since The Bronx Warriors is the first of the new batch out.

The original 20 Shameless films were part of a spine-builder collection and Shameless is incredibly grateful to those who stuck with them and collected them all just to see that cool Shamless logo running across their DVD shelf.

However, after the initial 20 came The Bronx Warriors Trilogy which was not part of the spine-builder since this had now finished. It continued with the catalogue number SHAM021, however, because catalogue numbering is dictated to Shameless by the rigidity of the barcode system. The same goes for the trilogy of Euro sexploitation which followed. This was obviously never perceived to be a problem until the re-issues of the Bronx films and the announcement of the Fulci boxset (incidentally, boxes inside the set retain their original Shameless numbering). Because these numbers are forced upon Shameless, they innocently went along with them without realising that many fans would feel they were being forced to buy the same films twice. There was a demand for the Bronx films to be released individually and the chance to release a limited edition set of Fulci films with collectors' artwork was too good to miss. Unfortunately, because Shameless have been working with the fixed rules of the barcode system, it is now too late to alter the packaging for these four releases and so they have to be released as SHAM025/26/27/28. But, now that Shameless understands this to be a problem with fans and collectors, they are going to seek a solution with the barcode system for all future releases.

Shameless have exciting plans for 2011 (watch this space!) and so will make sure that any numbering decisions are ran by all you guys at here to try to find the best solution.

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 7th October 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

One possible solution would be to simply not have identical SHAMXXX numbers and spine numbers.

1-24 have been filled, but what if the Bronw Warriors films go by SHAM025-27 but still have the 21 on their spines and the future releases pick up at 25.
That would even make sense in a way that people who did not buy the BW Trilogy can understand, because BW1-3 is the first series to be released within the Shameless series - so in future cases, if you release let's say Puppet Master 1-X (just a poor example as I can't think of a better film series off the top of my head) just number them Y.1-X, but the SHAM numbers can still be different, as it's basically not the series number ( which goes on the spine) but the issue/edition number.

What do you think about that? Should cater to all needs, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 7th October 2010, 04:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sounds like a good solution to me Playzocker
Old 7th October 2010, 05:29 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
One possible solution would be to simply not have identical SHAMXXX numbers and spine numbers.

1-24 have been filled, but what if the Bronw Warriors films go by SHAM025-27 but still have the 21 on their spines and the future releases pick up at 25.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, even if it does say SHAM025 at the bottom of the spine in the small letters, the big number on the spine should still say 21.1 so it fits in your collection if you didn't buy the tin....simples
Old 7th October 2010, 06:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Exactly - AND that also makes it easy to differentiate between editions when you buy DVDs at the store. Well, the non-existing BBFC logos on the Keep Cases from the tin could be enough but I think you know what I mean ... I think this won't be the last re-release within the series. In case a title goes OOP you can use a different SHAM but the same spine number so that collectors now what edition they get, could end in making some titles great collector's items. 8)
Old 7th October 2010, 08:29 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

While that's a good idea for future releases, the stock for the Bronx Warrors individual releases have already been produced so it's too late for any of the numbers to be changed on them now. Like I said, it was innocently done. Shameless didn't realise it was an issue until it was too late.

Having two different numbers (spine and catalogue) is definitely one possible solution but it could potentially be a bit confusing. Possibly a more viable solution would be to have different "SHAM" parts to the catalogue number: one for individual releases and one for box sets. But Shameless definitely want to hear your thoughts!

I'll set up a new thread to allow for these suggestions!
Old 8th October 2010, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm sorry to have to say it like that, but a solution for future releases is all nice and well - but once the numberings' ruined, it's ruined! Now every collector has a big hole in the collection, which I definitely don't find okay!

But, even for that I might have a solution at hand.

How about taking some covers with the 25-27 numbering and offering it to collectors. They write their address to a specified email address and get the new covers shipped to them for free. That way, they could put both the tin and the single releases onto their shelf and technically, they then DO have the missing numbers, even if they're not displayed. I know, it's a crappy solution but still better than nothing.
Since the picture disc will be different for the single releases I think ("classic" Shameless print, rather than what's in the Tin) the discs themselves will still be easy to differentiate.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:15 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
I'm sorry to have to say it like that, but a solution for future releases is all nice and well - but once the numberings' ruined, it's ruined! Now every collector has a big hole in the collection, which I definitely don't find okay!

But, even for that I might have a solution at hand.

How about taking some covers with the 25-27 numbering and offering it to collectors. They write their address to a specified email address and get the new covers shipped to them for free. That way, they could put both the tin and the single releases onto their shelf and technically, they then DO have the missing numbers, even if they're not displayed. I know, it's a crappy solution but still better than nothing.
Since the picture disc will be different for the single releases I think ("classic" Shameless print, rather than what's in the Tin) the discs themselves will still be easy to differentiate.
If I understand you correctly, that you would have the tin sitting there (empty?) and then the separate releases (discs from the tin in covers 25, 26 and 27?) then that would only be a solution for those who bought the tin. I don't see Shameless doing that tbh.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't see them doing that, either. BUT it is the ONLY way to resolve this situation in a way that even if the covers are already printed, collector's get their complete collection without having to buy the same discs again.

What I would do is keep the discs in the tin (shelf space is VERY precious ) but I would have the alternately numbered covers in case I decide to change that. And yeah, in that case, my plan would involve keeping the tin empty (maybe at the Nr. 21 spot) and the 3 discs in 25-27. That way, all the holes would be filled.
Old 8th October 2010, 05:43 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I understand what you mean and the only to please everyone would be to do that and also make covers 21.1-21.3 available to those that didn't manage to get a tin. In an ideal world that's what would happen, but Shameless are a small company and they really can't afford to be printing extra covers and giving them away.

Like this? Share it using the links below!