Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shameless FAQ

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2010, 02:08 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Default Why are some Shameless titles cut?

Q. Why are some Shameless titles cut?

A. Shameless is a UK based company and, as such, has to abide by UK law. This means that every film released in the UK has to be submitted to the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) to receive a certificate. Some film content does not comply with BBFC guidelines (which are readily available on their website) and so has to be cut from the film in order for it to receive a certificate.

Shameless will always strive to deliver the most complete version of a film possible but, in order to release films legally, they must always comply with the BBFC's decision.
Old 15th December 2010, 03:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

But is there only 2 that are cut ?
Cant complain at that....And it not like they are heavily cut just minor,
So as far as im concernd well done
Keep up the very good work

And arrow as well

Thank you for all the hard work every 1 involved no matter how big or small the contribution off work they put in.
Old 15th December 2010, 03:05 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Yes, just two that are cut as it stands:
  • SHAM001 - New York Ripper
  • SHAM005 - Venus in Furs

And thank you muchly for the appreciation, gag!
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:51 PM
Ex-Member

Default Cut films - Are they worth it.

I read that shameless are releasing House on the Edge of the Park, with cuts. I understand alot of work must go into releasing a film and when the film is cut, that can loose alot of sales. Does Shameless ever decide certain films are just not worth releasing due to this point. And are there fans that won't buy films because of minor cuts.
I remember back in the day seeing the Vipco release of HOTEOTP, and I couldn't at times understand what the hell was happening in the certain scene, then I saw Cannibal Ferox, which I'd already seen uncut and thought it was ridiculous. They even cut the scene where John Morgans hand is cut off.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

I suppose it's what the problem area is, CANNIBAL FEROX would certainly interest Shameless, but if the issues involve strong sexual violence(some Japanese horrors that involve attacks on children for instance) may make a company baulk at trying to push the boundries in the UK, and it seems the nasty-nazi genre is still off the table here in the UK. But times and taste change in a heartbeat, so you never know.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:38 PM
Ex-member

Default Cut films - Are they worth it.

Each to their own
As said before, If your harcore horror for example, you buy uncut imo
I know a lot of members on another website agree me with on this
but sometimes there are fans who buy cut versions to support the company releasing the dvd, as in Arrow's BARE BEHIND BARS, Shameless' HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK for e.g.
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The thing is though a company aren't going to know what, if anything is going to be cut until they buy the title and get it ready for release. Sure they could think "Nah, this will have too many cuts by the BBFC, no point releasing it" but this line of thinking would have likely lead to never putting out Cannibal Holocaust (who here thought they'd only require 14 seconds of cuts to this?). I do agree that if the cuts are so heavy and ruin the narrative flow of the film then it's a waste of time but in the instances of cutting I've seen from Shameless so far it's not really noticeable.

Plus, you have to bear in mind that while everyone here is aware of how to get uncut copies via importing R1 discs, people with a general and casual interest in cult films who do the bulk of their shopping on the high street might not and might not be bothered about the cuts. Obviously there are people on here who won't entertain the notion of a cut film when a complete alternative is available but there are those who don't see it as that much of an issue

Me personally, I don't mind so much. It's not as if these releases are cut by Shameless and it's not like Shameless don't do everything they can to get them through as complete as possible. The way I see it is every release like CH or HOTEOTP is a further step at challenging the outdate Draconian censorship rules at the BBFC.
Sam likes this.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:43 PM
Ex-Member

I agree fully with what you are saying PaulD. I've been watching and buying horror films ever since the ealry 80's. I was angry at the version Vipco put out of HOTEOTP as it ruined the film for me with jumps in music and careless hacking at scenes.
Overall though I'm not fussed about films being cut within reason. But if I look on the back of a sleeve and it reads cut by 11minutes, then I'm left wondering.
I buy most of my films in shops as I just prefer shopping and am pleased Shameless and Arrow have made hard to find films more commerical again.
They have released some gems over the past years and look forward to future releases. I stand by my opinion that the cuts to the Animal slaughter in CH are a good idea. I have seen Cannibal Ferox, and although its pointless cut, I think its a bad movie uncut.
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Me personally, I don't mind so much. It's not as if these releases are cut by Shameless and it's not like Shameless don't do everything they can to get them through as complete as possible. The way I see it is every release like CH or HOTEOTP is a further step at challenging the outdate Draconian censorship rules at the BBFC.
Just to be clear, when I say this I don't mean I don't mind cuts as such. Just I understand the necessity in terms of the BBFC's role when releasing films in the UK. Naturally, I think it's an outdated ridiculous notion and that adults should be free to choose what they want to watch themselves without the intervention of a seperate body. Basically, when cuts happen I'm only annoyed and angry at the BBFC and not whoever is releasing the dvd
Rassilon likes this.
Old 23rd September 2011, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

i can understand after watching vipco's HOTEOTP that yould be scratching your head ahem. taking 11 minutes out of any film would knacker the continuity IMO. thats why i avoided that one for years. i have a R1 one now (uncut) and this will suffice me, its a bonny looking print (considering the content haha) and basically im easily pleased....

Like this? Share it using the links below!