Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Shameless News and Events (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Shameless reviews at DVD Outsider (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/shameless-news-events/127-shameless-reviews-dvd-outsider.html)

vincenzo 27th January 2008 01:15 PM

Shameless reviews at DVD Outsider

New York Ripper
Phantom Of Death
Killer Nun
Torso
Venus In Furs
The Black Cat
Flavia The Heretic
Manhattan Baby
Night Train Murders
The Frightened Woman
My Dear Killer
Ratman
What Have They Done To Your Daughters
Who Saw Her Die
Strip Nude For Your Killer
The Designated Victim
Oasis Of Fear
Watch Me When I Kill
Baba Yaga
Footprints

bedorca 29th January 2008 09:23 PM

Reading the DVD outsider review, I noticed this too upon another viewing of the Black Cat tonight

According to the BBFC the film has been passed uncut for this DVD release, but it seems likely that there is a version in existence somewhere with slightly more footage in the scene in which the two bodies are discovered at the boathouse. The evidence is in the editing, whose otherwise seamless flow momentarily falters here – the horrified scream of the mother is cut uncomfortably in half and the next scene jumped to as if the projectionist had laced up the reels incorrectly. The odd thing is that what we can assume is the missing shot, in which a body is shown in an unpleasantly decomposed state, is in the included trailer in its entirety.

Whats the score Almar? Did you know about this? Did the BBFC get a sneaky cut in and not tell you? ;)

vincenzo 29th January 2008 09:34 PM

The BBFC wouldn't have cut it anyway. The distributors of the film normally use an editing team for that.

It could have been edited during post-production. Every print of the film may well feature the same version.

Almar@Cult Labs 29th January 2008 09:43 PM

It's a classic case of what's the right thing to do? We noticed the footage was longer and there was the option to edit it into the film but of course stuff gets cut from films by directors etc. There's plenty of stuff in the Tango & Cash trailer I wish was in the film!

We're going through this nightmare with Frightened Woman.

Philleh 30th January 2008 09:20 AM

Oh man, I'm still waiting for a Tango & Cash: SE with those deleted scenes! HURRY UP, WARNER!

Almar@Cult Labs 30th January 2008 09:27 AM

It's insane - the DVD is a 1998 release (could be '99 - I don't have it on my desk!) and non-anamorphic (and let's face it Warner's have a touch more money than we do). It need deleted stuff and then a decent doc exploring the director replacement and then... a Sly and Kurt commentary! :popcorn:

Philleh 30th January 2008 05:09 PM

Yeah, the R1 release in the old-school Warner flip case-thing! Ha... The good old days.

Aw man, a commentary from those two would be beyond fantastic!

mark meakin 4th November 2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 1189)
The BBFC wouldn't have cut it anyway. The distributors of the film normally use an editing team for that.

It could have been edited during post-production. Every print of the film may well feature the same version.

Surely somebody has the Blue Underground version for comparrison ?.

finishominis 11th December 2008 08:32 PM

Every version of this film I've ever seen on VHS and DVD has had that jump in the boathouse scene - I didn't realise that there is more footage in the trailer - I assumed it was never fully completed or something (I think the film was a bit of a rush-job - Fulci said he directed it as a favour to the producer. I reckon it's great though)

bedorca 15th December 2008 06:59 PM

Ditto finishominis. That threw me as well upon first viewing as I thought it was :eek: cut! Almar put me in my place! :) Oh how I have matured since then! :woot: