Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Shameless News and Events

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2011, 10:08 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm not 100% sure what Shameless are doing with regards to filming the debate but I'll certainly try to find out.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:18 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
I'll probably do an audio recording of the whole thing anyway, just for myself.
I plan to take my dictaphone and do the same, assuming recording devices are allowed.
Old 26th May 2011, 09:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

So can we expect some reviews of Deodato's new edit from some of you fine 'Labbers who went to the screening? When? Now? Well, soon as, please!
Old 28th May 2011, 10:15 PM
Cult Rookie

The debate was filmed (I know as I was sat right next to the camera and the lady with the microphone) but I'm not sure they would release it.

It wasn't really a debate and Craig Lapper (BBFC) just looked at the floor most of the time. Martin Barker gave a 30 min presentation based on his findings about opinions towards House On The Edge Of the Park (during which Deodato left the stage and went for a wander, even trying to deal with his - ringing-phone) and then Barker posed 5 questions to lapper. His skirted round pretty much all of them. It then went to a Q+A with the audience asking Lapper and Deodato questions. Lapper dodged pretty much all the questions with a "blame the legislation" answer. Deodato gave very long winded answers via Giovanni Lombardo Radice and it kind of over-ran. There was no big debate as I thought that might have happened.

Worth seeing only for Barkers presentation really.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Oh, as for the whole event, incredible. Deodato was on great form, signing so many things for fans. When I asked him to sign the relevant page of my "Art Of The Nasty" book, he did so, only then to deface all the images of Cannibal Ferox while ranting about Lenzi and drawing arrows with the word "shit" on them!
bedorca, Daemonia, Pete and 3 others like this.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:25 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Oh, as for the whole event, incredible. Deodato was on great form, signing so many things for fans. When I asked him to sign the relevant page of my "Art Of The Nasty" book, he did so, only then to deface all the images of Cannibal Ferox while ranting about Lenzi and drawing arrows with the word "shit" on them!
Interesting. I always wondered what Deodato thought of his imitators and their cheap imitations. Now we know!
Old 29th May 2011, 02:59 AM
Cult Rookie

He really wan't a fan of Lenzi's work! He ranted in Italian and crossed over every image of Cannibal Ferox. Julian Petley was stood next to me and said "That's about as good as you can get for a collectors item!" while Deodato waved his arms in the air shouting "SHIT! SHIT! LENZI, SHIT"
Old 29th May 2011, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
The debate was filmed (I know as I was sat right next to the camera and the lady with the microphone) but I'm not sure they would release it.

It wasn't really a debate and Craig Lapper (BBFC) just looked at the floor most of the time. Martin Barker gave a 30 min presentation based on his findings about opinions towards House On The Edge Of the Park (during which Deodato left the stage and went for a wander, even trying to deal with his - ringing-phone) and then Barker posed 5 questions to lapper. His skirted round pretty much all of them. It then went to a Q+A with the audience asking Lapper and Deodato questions. Lapper dodged pretty much all the questions with a "blame the legislation" answer. Deodato gave very long winded answers via Giovanni Lombardo Radice and it kind of over-ran. There was no big debate as I thought that might have happened.

Worth seeing only for Barkers presentation really.

This is indicative of Cine Excess in general. Great ideas, poorly executed. They are a well-meaning bunch, but the event is very badly advertised. I counted 40 people in the audience at the most during the panels, which is pretty poor for what should be a very popular event. The idea of having stuff at the Italian Cultural Institute was another good idea, but quite badly managed. I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure if I'll go again next year. I guess it depends on who is the guest of honour!
Old 29th May 2011, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
He really wan't a fan of Lenzi's work! He ranted in Italian and crossed over every image of Cannibal Ferox. Julian Petley was stood next to me and said "That's about as good as you can get for a collectors item!" while Deodato waved his arms in the air shouting "SHIT! SHIT! LENZI, SHIT"
But didn't Lenzi start off the whole cannibal genre with Deep River Savages? Surely Deodato must owe him something!
Old 30th May 2011, 02:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
But didn't Lenzi start off the whole cannibal genre with Deep River Savages? Surely Deodato must owe him something!
Generally speaking, it's regarded as a seminal work in the sub-genre, but I'd class it as more of an Italian riff on A Man Called Horse.

Like this? Share it using the links below!