Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Shameless News and Events (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Shameless 2008 Resolutions... (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/shameless-news-events/83-shameless-2008-resolutions.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 26th December 2007 10:53 PM

Shameless 2008 Resolutions...

Right so the three months we've been alive in 2007 are nearly done. It's been a steep learning curve and we really appreciate all the support we've had and the interest from around the world whether it be to give our sleeves a good kicking (Torso was a bit naughty!) or to tell us where you can or most likely can't buy our DVDs!

Shameless is a labour of love, is very far from making any money but that said shows promise in what has been the toughest quarter ever for most indie DVD companies so maybe our approach has some merit! :cool:

But we love the movies we put out and want people to be proud to own the Shameless edition of each title so for 2008 what should our resolutions be? If they are 5.1 mixes, new transfers straight from the original neg and other super costly things we might struggle but we're already on the case with someone on board to try and sort out sound issues for all our 2008 releases, we're working even harder to source better anamorphic masters and I'll try to make sure the words 'slut' and 'whore' don't appear on at least one of our releases... :o

Also we're looking at revamping our online offering with added content to read, clips to watch (maybe some cut material eh?) and maybe some kind of annoying random flashy thing that serves no purpose... So suggestions for our site/forums would also be welcome.

Once again many thanks for the support and interest in 2007 and please help us make Shameless a UK exploitation label that doesn't just make you want to curl up and die/order the import version! :)

vincenzo 26th December 2007 11:24 PM

One thing I would definitely recommend is to stress the uncut status of Flavia The Heretic upon release - ie a ridiculously large and blazing FULLY UNCUT VERSION! on the cover somewhere. I doubt anyone believed this would get through intact in the UK. :)

Hopefully Shameless will be able to do the same with Night Train Murders. However we'll have to wait with baited scalpels on that one.

Placing cut scenes on here wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. However let's hope that it doesn't have to be updated very often (again it's up to the BBFC there). I admit to being a sucker for the original VHS cover artwork too.

Other than that all looks fine from here. :)

Philleh 27th December 2007 11:03 AM

I think you guys are doing a brilliant job. It's too bad you came along so late in the game! Indie DVD companies worldwide are feeling the pinch at the moment, the American companies (Blue Underground, Synapse etc) have been slowing their output and are struggling to make ends meat.

Hopefully, with the global competitors slowing down, and with you guys cranking them out and with some more titles like Phantom of Death (titles without many releases) you'll see some tidy figures emerge :)

Plus you're the only company in the UK with the nads to release certain titles, which says A LOT about what you guys are about. Hopefully the ball will get some true momentum behind it in 2008! :)

(You guys better not pull a Fright Fest Presents on us! I'm still bitter that that collection only goes to 5!)

Almar@Cult Labs 29th December 2007 01:58 PM

Well come next Monday we'll have reached six titles - is it ok to fold after that?

Only kidding! We're planning to be around to at least reach 'Shame' on the spines... ;)

Philleh 29th December 2007 04:46 PM

Nah, I'd be overly pissed off! ha.

bedorca 31st December 2007 11:28 AM

Can I suggest that you change the yellow sleeves to maybe red in 2008? I have bought the Simpsons movie twice now on impulse ;)

RobbieD 5th January 2008 04:09 PM

"with removeable English subtitles where needed/appropriate,"

I was thinking it would be a good idea, where possible, and if it's not too expensive(!), to include both English and Italian soundtracks (with subtitles). I'm always intrigued what these movies sound like in their original form and you don't often get the chance to find out.

Almar@Cult Labs 5th January 2008 05:08 PM

I'd love to have 'original' Italian tracks but it's a question of cost. We could put them on but to then pay for the subtitling just is a bit too risky as we've yet to see a profit on anything. Thing is if a few hundred people pushed hard for them we'd take that risk but this is the toughest I've ever known the UK DVD industry. Sales are good but that's for the majors selling at a few quid a time - for indies it's horrible so we're having to make choices but where fans tell us different we're happy to try.

As so few films are recorded in sync sound and for some reason English dubs for giallos often work better than dubs for say Hong Kong movies (I could never stand to listen to dubs on HKL DVDs - I always chose Cantonese) I was happy that we stick to English tracks. Even on newer films like Sleepless - I ended up going back to the English dub as at least it vaguely matched unlike the Italian track - awful!

Of course if there's someone happy to subtitle for a pittance get in touch! :)