Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Love Goddess of the Cannibals > Shameless Sexploitation

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2007, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Joe D'Amato

Okay, I admit it - I'm a huge fan of the sleaze-meister known as Joe D'Amato ,real name Aristide Massaccesi and a billion other aliases.

His movies go beyond sleaze and land in a third dimension unknown to film language. His films are shit, he knows it - we know it, but DAMN! they are so much fun!

Due to the nature of his films, most are unavailable in the UK. In this lovely day and age though, it's not hard to find his classics - uncut.

So... What are yours? Are you a fan? Do you wish the man never lived?

My top 5:

Anthropophagus: The Beast
Buio Omega
Absurd
Emanuelle In America
Images in a Convent

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 6th November 2007, 03:10 AM
Active Cultist

ive not seen any of his stuff apart from anthro, a film that is the subject of some article I m trying to pull together.

I did watch a documentary of his career this weekend (1hr) that came with the anthropophagus 2 disc - the guy apparently built 6 films around a bit of pirate footage he'd bought- now that for me is priceless the idea that the stock footage came before the film ideas,

in the documentary he comes across as a lovely chap but a bit of a hack. Anthro is a faultless horror film though, he gets suspense and mood just right. even without the notorious scene antho would have worked as a horror,
Old 6th November 2007, 08:45 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You should pick up Images in a Convent, herman. It has the second part of the docu! Which covers his more... adult features - He was a real hack, but wasn't afraid to admit it, he was all about the money for the most part!

I'm with you on Anthropophagus, it's a real guilty pleasure that I watch over and over.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 6th November 2007, 11:53 PM
Active Cultist

okay, I think I'll do that- so what version of this film am I looking for in order to see the rest of the docu?

Oh and while we are on documentary features- I notice there is a box of the banned on amazon (not the best way to get complete films) but it seems to have a documentary on it regarding censorship and video nasty scares. dont know if the docu is any good though. but i may just get a used copy of box set just for docu.

Ive been looking at D'amato on trash online- endgame and a shark one so may order those.
Old 7th November 2007, 12:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

You want the R1 Exploitation Digital release (they are an off-shoot of Shriek Show/Media Blasters.

The Docu in the Box of the Banned set is brilliant, very insightful, but you do have to pick up both sets to get the full thing! If you have most of the films in the set, I'd look for another way of seeing it

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th November 2007, 12:40 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Ban The Sadist Videos documentary is excellent, though as Philleh says you have to pick up both sets to get it as it's spread over 2 discs in 2 boxes.

The films (5) in the 2nd box are all uncut. Box 1 (6 films) has the uncut Zombie Flesh Eaters to recommend it but thoroughly mashed prints of I Spit On Your Grave (appallingly badly cut), Last House On The Left (minus 31 secs) and Nightmares In A Damaged Brain (sadly the R-rated version) to demerit it.
Old 7th November 2007, 12:30 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

"Nightmares In A Damaged Brain (sadly the R-rated version) to demerit it."

Man, that sucks. Cunning way of getting a film classed uncut indeed!

I've just heard that the Media Blasters DVD of Anthropophagus: The Beast isn't the uncut version! It's not missing much, but scenes are missing. Only the German DVD release is the true uncut print, apparently! Damn it all!

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th November 2007, 01:02 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Apparently AB tried to secure the uncut Nightmares In A Damaged Brain but the owner demanded too much dosh. That is if he actually does own it. It misses out 3 short shots (throat-slashing, stabbing, axed head closeup) though at least it's longer than the original UK cut cinema version.

Anthro is only available here as The Grim Reaper (minus the foetus-eating and the entrails-chomping). Apparently a rights issue is involved though it didn't seem to affect the edited version being released.
Old 7th November 2007, 01:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I stayed well away from the R2 release of Anthro. But I had expected the R1 release to be fully uncut, but nay... it's still missing soem footage. I have a pre-cert copy on DVD-R, I'll have to compare them and see what's missing... that is if the Pre-cert edition wasn't missing this elusive German footage! lol

There is a Dutch or German release for Nightmares In A Damaged Brain I believe, thats fully intact. Can't see why they didn't source that copy

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 7th November 2007, 01:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Grim Reaper is also missing part of the scene where the actress has her hair pulled through the roof of the house. For me this was the most disturbing scene.

Like this? Share it using the links below!