Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   SHAM030 - The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh: The Reviews Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/strange-vice-mrs-wardh/5076-sham030-strange-vice-mrs-wardh-reviews-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th April 2011 08:21 PM

Had a quick scan at this last night-looks like a great transfer.:nod:

Jock Mooney 27th April 2011 07:03 AM

Next!

Watched this yesterday, and was very impressed. I had just watched (again) 'You're Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key' which I remembered as being a bit slow to start, but ultimately good. I am very pleased to announce that this is really quite a bit better.

I seem to have watched a lot of Martino gialli backwards - starting off with 'Torso' and a couple of other later ones, and up until recently my favourite by him had been 'All the Colours of the Dark'. I think I can now safely say that 'The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh' is the new favourite, and I am sure it will outlast the shock of the new. The story unfolds a little bit slowly, and to be fair - this is one of the early gialli - it does watch rather like a typical, if not amazing film, at the start. Then it sort of swoops into action with scene after scene of highly memorable cinematography and actually surprising plot twists.

I was also impressed by just how many other gialli have taken massive chunks from this film - the most obvious being the stalk in the park that Argento liifted (to, I must say superior effect) in 'Four Flies on Grey Velvet'. The attack in the underground carpark is almost repeated shot for shot by Aldo Lado (?) in 'What Have They Done to your Daughters', with even the starlet of that film being a bit of a Edwige Fenech xerox! It is, indeed, really interesting to see such a substantial giallo for the first time, and detect how influential it has been - both at the time, and still now.

I think this, teamed with 'Footprints' and 'Late Night Trains', is amongst the best things Shameless have released so far... look forward to 'Almost Human' as well.

merdas 11th June 2011 12:24 AM

Hi. Still no image comparison with any other editions? French, italian, german or american?

themanfromhongkong 24th October 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jock Mooney (Post 146269)
I was impressed by just how many other gialli have taken massive chunks from this film - the most obvious being the stalk in the park that Argento liifted (to, I must say superior effect) in 'Four Flies on Grey Velvet'. The attack in the underground carpark is almost repeated shot for shot by Aldo Lado (?) in 'What Have They Done to your Daughters'

oh yeah absolutely,

also Mrs. Ward's apartment is in 'The Red Queen Kills 7 Times' and I thought Ivan Rassimov's introduction at the party was very reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

Perhaps more amusingly Edwige Fenech actually turns the TV off when the motorbike race is on in this film but by the time we get to 'Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key' she is a lot more interested!

Pete 24th October 2011 03:18 PM

Keep forgetting this is out over here. Must pick up a copy soon.

Sarah@Cult Labs 26th October 2011 07:26 AM

Zombies DON'T Run: The Strange Vice of Mrs.Wardh (1971)

Jonny 26th October 2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 192958)

Quote:

I'm not by any means saying it's a bad movie, I just wanted some hardcore violence and gore. I may be a dude, but I'd trade some nudity for some gore any day of the week
Makes you wonder what he was doing watching this one in the first place, was he sent a free copy?

themanfromhongkong 26th October 2011 08:33 PM

yeah that was a bit of an odd comment