Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2011, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Had a quick scan at this last night-looks like a great transfer.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th April 2011, 07:03 AM
Cultist in Training

Default Next!

Watched this yesterday, and was very impressed. I had just watched (again) 'You're Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key' which I remembered as being a bit slow to start, but ultimately good. I am very pleased to announce that this is really quite a bit better.

I seem to have watched a lot of Martino gialli backwards - starting off with 'Torso' and a couple of other later ones, and up until recently my favourite by him had been 'All the Colours of the Dark'. I think I can now safely say that 'The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh' is the new favourite, and I am sure it will outlast the shock of the new. The story unfolds a little bit slowly, and to be fair - this is one of the early gialli - it does watch rather like a typical, if not amazing film, at the start. Then it sort of swoops into action with scene after scene of highly memorable cinematography and actually surprising plot twists.

I was also impressed by just how many other gialli have taken massive chunks from this film - the most obvious being the stalk in the park that Argento liifted (to, I must say superior effect) in 'Four Flies on Grey Velvet'. The attack in the underground carpark is almost repeated shot for shot by Aldo Lado (?) in 'What Have They Done to your Daughters', with even the starlet of that film being a bit of a Edwige Fenech xerox! It is, indeed, really interesting to see such a substantial giallo for the first time, and detect how influential it has been - both at the time, and still now.

I think this, teamed with 'Footprints' and 'Late Night Trains', is amongst the best things Shameless have released so far... look forward to 'Almost Human' as well.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:24 AM
Cult Rookie

Hi. Still no image comparison with any other editions? French, italian, german or american?
Old 24th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock Mooney View Post
I was impressed by just how many other gialli have taken massive chunks from this film - the most obvious being the stalk in the park that Argento liifted (to, I must say superior effect) in 'Four Flies on Grey Velvet'. The attack in the underground carpark is almost repeated shot for shot by Aldo Lado (?) in 'What Have They Done to your Daughters'
oh yeah absolutely,

also Mrs. Ward's apartment is in 'The Red Queen Kills 7 Times' and I thought Ivan Rassimov's introduction at the party was very reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

Perhaps more amusingly Edwige Fenech actually turns the TV off when the motorbike race is on in this film but by the time we get to 'Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key' she is a lot more interested!
Old 24th October 2011, 03:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Keep forgetting this is out over here. Must pick up a copy soon.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th October 2011, 07:26 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Zombies DON'T Run: The Strange Vice of Mrs.Wardh (1971)
Old 26th October 2011, 11:06 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Quote:
I'm not by any means saying it's a bad movie, I just wanted some hardcore violence and gore. I may be a dude, but I'd trade some nudity for some gore any day of the week
Makes you wonder what he was doing watching this one in the first place, was he sent a free copy?
Old 26th October 2011, 08:33 PM
Cult Rookie

yeah that was a bit of an odd comment

Like this? Share it using the links below!