Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2018, 05:39 AM
Cult Master

Are You Being Served? stage production rejected for being 'demeaning to women' | HeraldScotland

"An amateur theatre company has been told it cannot perform a stage version of BBC sitcom Are You Being Served? after it was deemed “demeaning to women and outdated”.

Hull Playgoers’ Society were told by the city’s Truck Theatre that the play was “not suitable”, the company’s artistic director has said."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th January 2018, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Interesting thread. Some hilarious posts.

Network put out both Curry & Chips and several volumes of The Comedians. So there is that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2018, 08:41 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
An interesting read, especially the segment on 'The Goodies'

Why These Iconic British Comedies Were Banished From Our Screens
Completely off topic but I saw 3 blokes on a 3 seater bicycle today, riding between two tandems.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 28th January 2018, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Completely off topic but I saw 3 blokes on a 3 seater bicycle today, riding between two tandems.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th January 2018, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
clicked on the link and it and its not lead me to where it suppose to.
But give me good old fashioned comedy like goodies , Monty python ,steptoe and son over most comedies shows of today .
And Fawlty towers got voted best British comedy ever , not Only fools and horses likes some people are led to believe , even so it still deserves rightly to be up there tho .
Good old fashioned comedy that didn't rely on vulgarity, swearing, sex , etc etc.
But if you want to go along those lines everyone remembers love thy neighbour, but some people can't quite remember mind your language which was even worse really.

Last edited by gag; 28th January 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28th January 2018, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To be fair gag, it's there if you want to find it ... mainly on the radio if I'm honest but there's a good mix of 'family' entertainment ... say Milton Jones or John Shuttleworth ... and some downright weird (I, Regress cough!! ), plus sitcoms like Cabin Pressure. Ahem.

[B]
Old 28th January 2018, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
To be fair gag, it's there if you want to find it ... mainly on the radio if I'm honest but there's a good mix of 'family' entertainment ... say Milton Jones or John Shuttleworth ... and some downright weird (I, Regress cough!! ), plus sitcoms like Cabin Pressure. Ahem.
I remember in the days when and I say when radio one was good , mark and lard I think it was always told a story but technically it was a double meaning story of rudeness and sex.
Old 28th January 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I see DJ patter and actual scripted comedy as seperate entities. Next!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 17th May 2018, 05:28 AM
Cult Master

Apologies, but it's a Daily Mole story!

Dambusters dog's name will not be censored for 75th anniversary screening | Daily Mail Online

"A series of anniversary screenings of the Dambusters will include the controversial name of the film's dog - it has been confirmed.

The movie features a black Labrador, who was the mascot for RAF 617 squadron, called Nigger.

But the studio behind the anniversary screenings - which are due to take place on the 75th anniversary of the mission it was based on - said the canine's name will not be removed.

A statement from Studiocanal, the distributor of the film, said: 'While we acknowledge some of the language used in The Dam Busters reflects historical attitudes which audiences may find offensive, for reasons of historical accuracy we have opted to present the film as it was originally screened.'
"

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th May 2018, 07:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

^ Too right. We should not even be talking about editing the film.
It really fecking annoys me that this is even brought up anymore.

I am at a sold out showing tonight. I'll let all know what the restoration looks like, what ratio it is shown in etc..

Like this? Share it using the links below!