Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

It's a difficult one for Disney as they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Personally, I'm happy with warnings and not that bothered about the odd deleted episode as long as it's available somewhere like on physical media for those who really want to see the unexpurgated version. However...

Whilst agreeing with Justin's definition of what is and isn't censorship I have the caveat that there is a type of 'curation' that is not helpful to collectors who really want the definitive article and that's the corporate practice of letting the grass grow over something (usually something that has become culturally sensitive). The best example is obviously Song of the South, which Disney have a fully restored copy of in their vaults, but has remained unavailable for decades and is not likely to see the light of day again. I can see this happening to some TV episodes held by large corporations as well.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
It's a difficult one for Disney as they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Personally, I'm happy with warnings and not that bothered about the odd deleted episode as long as it's available somewhere like on physical media for those who really want to see the unexpurgated version. However...

Whilst agreeing with Justin's definition of what is and isn't censorship I have the caveat that there is a type of 'curation' that is not helpful to collectors who really want the definitive article and that's the corporate practice of letting the grass grow over something (usually something that has become culturally sensitive). The best example is obviously Song of the South, which Disney have a fully restored copy of in their vaults, but has remained unavailable for decades and is not likely to see the light of day again. I can see this happening to some TV episodes held by large corporations as well.
Hence that's part of the reason why some ppl still collect vhs tapes, because some films never seem to get shown on tv or once shown never repeated, or places like Netflix, Amazon prime and the likes, and don't get released on anything else either.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:28 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
The best example is obviously Song of the South, which Disney have a fully restored copy of in their vaults, but has remained unavailable for decades and is not likely to see the light of day again
I remember seeing that broadcast on BBC2 at 9:40am on May 1st, 2000

I wish I'd videoed it!

Radio Time Schedule - May 1st, 2000
Demoncrat, nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I remember seeing that broadcast on BBC2 at 9:40am on May 1st, 2000

I wish I'd videoed it!

Radio Time Schedule - May 1st, 2000
Plenty on vhs on eBay for £20 or less .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...57.m4084.l1313
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Many have advocated for its re-release including Whoopi Goldberg and other black celebrities and journalists, however, Disney have said no. I got this from wikipedia:

"Disney executive chairman and former CEO Bob Iger affirmed during a shareholders meeting that the film would not be getting a release on the service (Disney+), even with an "outdated cultural depictions" disclaimer, stating that the film is "not appropriate in today's world"
Old 21st July 2023, 05:04 PM
Cult Master

Not really 'censoring' as such, but the BBFC has reclassified 'Watership Down' as a 'PG' rating, upping it from the 'U' rating it has had since it was first released in 1978

"The reasoning for Watership Down’s new ‘PG’ rating is due to "mild violence, threat, brief bloody images and bad language""

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/waters...ng-it-deserves

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 22nd July 2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 21st July 2023, 05:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Not really 'censoring' as such, but the BBFC has reclassified 'Watership Down' as a 'PG' rating, upping it from the 'U' rating it has had since it was first released in 1978

"The reasoning for Watership Down’s new ‘PG’ rating is due to "mild violence, threat, brief bloody images and bad language""

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/waters...R5CEIVRUskZ7PI
Although it says mild violence, bad language and threat...is The real reason to upping the certificate due to channel 5 showing it and getting a few complaints about it
Old 21st July 2023, 06:51 PM
Cultist

disney as even sensored the French connection for the N word.
Old 21st July 2023, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter alex View Post
disney as even sensored the French connection for the N word.
Ironic isn't it seeing as Disney were as racist as they came when it comes to racial stereotyping.

Probably on a major guilt virtue signaling trip now.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Although it says mild violence, bad language and threat...is The real reason to upping the certificate due to channel 5 showing it and getting a few complaints about it
I have to say that I've actually witnessed my own niece traumatised by this movie. Not from the violence, mind you, but by the devatastingly sad ending. She was inconsolable for a whole day.

Like this? Share it using the links below!