Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2013, 05:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Ffs, what the hell is going on here????? What, they can't even show them and put a warning at the beginning saying it may cause offence?
Agreed and U.K. Gold did that years ago before a screening of an episode of Porridge with an announcer warning of the program's potentially offensive terminology. Around the same time the same channel showed the brilliant Steptoe And Son tale 'Any Old Iron?' featuring Harold being pursued by a gay antiques dealer and i was very surprised this episode was aired again considering old Steptoe's attitude towards homosexuals in it.
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
Agreed and U.K. Gold did that years ago before a screening of an episode of Porridge with an announcer warning of the program's potentially offensive terminology. Around the same time the same channel showed the brilliant Steptoe And Son tale 'Any Old Iron?' featuring Harold being pursued by a gay antiques dealer and i was very surprised this episode was aired again considering old Steptoe's attitude towards homosexuals in it.
That's funny considering old Steptoe (Wilfrid Brambell) was a homosexual himself in reality.
Old 27th April 2013, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict

I didn't know that! The irony pool's here abouts.

DVD and BD collection
Old 27th April 2013, 11:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Most tv shows don't offend people it's the way this country going and the bell ends losing a sense of humour and thinking it does,
Lost count of how many times things have been in the paper saying this that the other thing offend so and so ,
Watched a documentary on tv it was about going round asking these people if they where offended by the so called comments that they where meant to be offended by and most said no and they didn't know anyone who was,
Top and bottom of it the only reason people are getting getting offended and being racist etc etc is because the bigwigs are fuelling the fire by making all these comments when they Actually aren't true ..
Old 27th May 2013, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Good to see that The Dam Busters (1954) was shown complete on Channel 5 these past two weekends.
Demoncrat and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 27th May 2013, 06:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Channel Five apparently have a commitment to showing 12 or 15 cert comedies before 21:00 and cutting out the funniest gags in the process! Exhibit A: Along Came Polly with Philip Seymour Hoffman just looking a bit uncomfortable and leaving a party for no apparent reason......they completely cut out the dialogue: "This is serious. I just sharted....I tried to fart and a little shit came out. I just sharted. Now let's go."

How could they?!

Old 28th May 2013, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Channel Five apparently have a commitment to showing 12 or 15 cert comedies before 21:00 and cutting out the funniest gags in the process! Exhibit A: Along Came Polly with Philip Seymour Hoffman just looking a bit uncomfortable and leaving a party for no apparent reason......they completely cut out the dialogue: "This is serious. I just sharted....I tried to fart and a little shit came out. I just sharted. Now let's go."

How could they?!

5 are notorious for showing stuff outside its "alloted" timeslot. And in awful ratios. Cough Lawrence Of Arabia.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd June 2013, 06:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Other Gms Never to be Repeated

I take it we will never see uncut episodes of 'The Comedians' again. I watched series 1 and was in hysterics . I really miss laughter.

Other shows would be Spike Milligan in 'Curry and Chips' and an episode of Are You Being Served called 'Roots' . In this episode from 1981 the Grace Brothers staff trace young Mr Graces roots back to the slave trade which feature the cast blacked up and doing a minstrel routine. This plays out over the end credits so I don't know how they would cut that .

Racism is ugly that is true but I severely doubt any of these comic gems would spurn the rise of fascism .

An irony was 'Mind Your Language' , which was hilarious. Michael Grade took it off air as he stated it was racist and pandered to stereotypes - the series was exported to India and became a comedy smash . They even did their own version which focussed on different dialects .

Too many 'white' middle class and leftie types whinging (although they would say 'championing') on behalf of minorities when many of the ethnic friends I have find that more offensive than the programmes they try to ban.

Did you know political correctness has it's roots in Stalinism - speaks volumes .
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloch Corbeau View Post
I really miss laughter.
So you haven't laughed since the early 80s? That's rough, man . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
So you haven't laughed since the early 80s? That's rough, man . . .
Not surprised since a lot of today's comedies films / tv shows just aren't even funny at all and barely even raise a chuckle or a smile never mind a laugh, vicious and job lot are prime eg of that, you only watch the odd episode in attempt the series's might improve then after 3 rd or so it isn't so you don't watch anymore.

Like this? Share it using the links below!