Good Trader
Senior Moderator

What the hell....

IMG_7587.jpg
Old 20th June 2020, 11:22 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
In my opinion, the best solution would be to leave the shows, from Fawlty Towers to Little Britain and films from The Jazz Singer to The Dam Busters, as they are, but prefacing each episode with a screen saying something along the lines of 'This show contains characters and dialogue which some viewers may find offensive.'

However, that's my opinion as a straight, white man. I don't know whether someone who is black, transgender, or gay would feel differently.
From my point of view, there are very few programmes that I find truly offensive

Growing up in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I was always fascinated by the cross-dressing elements that appeared on television. I was (and still am) a big fan of the comedians who would dress-up in sketches - Benny Hill, Les Dawson, Dick Emery, Stanley Baxter etc. I knew that these were 'men in frocks' but they were funny. There was no way that anyone would ever think that they were women, and that was the joke

I loved Danny with his innuendo's when he appeared on 'The Good Old Days'. It was good, clean seaside postcard humour

I enjoyed it when 'serious' American shows featured crossdressing episodes - 'Magnum PI', 'Hart To Hart', 'The Love Boat', 'Happy Days' - especially if the character was so convincing the final reveal was a real 'WTF' moment

What I did find offensive was when stereotypes were taken to the nth degree. I'm not a fan of the 'limp-wristed screaming queen' character such as 'Gloria' Beaumont in 'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' or Mr Humphries in 'Are You Being Served?' and I can't stand comedians like Alan Carr

Emily Howard in 'Little Britain' *IS* offensive. Not so much the obvious transvestite character, (we have all see a crossdresser whose skirt is too short and whose bust is too big and whose heels are too high and whose lipstick is too bright) but the catch-phrase 'I'm a laydee'. I know for a fact that this has led to a lot of bullying for transgender people. I know people who have been too scared to go out their front door because some knuckle-dragger is going to yell it at them. If Emily had been more sympathetic things might have been different

'The League Of Gentlemen' *is* different. Other than Babs, who is played for laughs, none of the female characters are obviously male. Even someone like Pauline, who is thoroughly hateful in the first series, ends up as a likeable, and even pitiful person as the show progresses

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th June 2020, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
What the hell....

Attachment 225514
I know. It's a fracking nonsense and getting way out of control.
Old 20th June 2020, 11:38 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
What the hell....

Attachment 225514
It is apparently because of the Hispanic equivalent of 'blacking up'.

"Sky Cinema has put content labels on classic movies to flag any issues of outdated views which may cause offence to the viewer.

The labels have appeared on the likes of the original animated versions of Aladdin and Dumbo, as well as sci-fi sequel Aliens, Gone with the Wind and cult sci-fi Flash Gordon. They also appear on the movies' listings on NOW TV.

They read: "This film has outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today."

Along with well-known offensive scenes in many if the films listed above, Sky has added a disclaimer to Aliens because it features white actress Jenette Goldstein wearing extensive makeup to play Hispanic character Vasquez.

"Sky is committed to supporting anti-racism and improving diversity and inclusion both on and off screen," a Sky spokesperson told Digital Spy.

"We constantly review all content on Sky's owned channels and will take action where necessary including adding additional information for our customers to allow them to make an informed decision when deciding what films and TV shows to watch."

Sky's move follows HBO Max temporarily removing Gone with the Wind due to racist depictions in the Oscar-winning movie.

The new streaming service plans to add a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of its racial depictions when the movie returns to HBO Max, but it's not yet clear when that will be.

"These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible," a spokesperson said.

Earlier this month, Sky announced a series of commitments to tackle racial injustice, pledging to invest £10 million per year across its market for each of the next three years.

Its work – which will be overseen, implemented and measured by new diversity action and advisory groups – aims to improve Black and minority ethnic representation at all levels and make a difference in communities impacted by racism."

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...aladdin-dumbo/
Old 20th June 2020, 11:55 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default Censoring the Classics

If anyone is offended by Goldstein as Vasquez...well, i don't want to swear here, so i'll just say they can "go away"

This is getting ridiculous now.

You know what? I'm going to kick up a fuss from now on if a gay actor plays a straight character, if an American plays a character from another country and vice versa.

I've decided. Everyone is only playing exactly what they are and where they're from in real life from now on. End of!

Where does this madness end?
Old 20th June 2020, 08:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

“Wait a minute … you ain't heard nothin' yet.”
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 5th July 2020, 07:30 AM
Cult Master

"The statellite and cable subscription service, Sky Cinema, has issued a political correctness disclaimer to its subscribers that some of its content contains outdated attitudes, languages and cultural depictions which may cause offense today.

Sixteen films have the warning:
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961). The only non-white character in the film Mr Yunioshi is played by white actor Mickey Rooney. Pretending to be a Japanese man, he wears fake teeth and puts on a Japanese accent.
  • The Jungle Book (1967 and 2016 live-action remake). There have been suggestions the character of orangutang King Louie, which did not feature in Rudyard Kipling's original novel, implied inequality between African Americans and Caucasians. It has also been claimed the character's portrayal is based on what white people thought about black people at the time, such as his poorer linguistic skills and him wanting to be like the other men.
  • Aladdin (1992). Critics have expressed concerns over the story's use of Orientalist stereotypes, while casting decisions also came under scrutiny, with Aladdin, Princess Jasmine and the genie played by white actors in the animation.
  • The Goonies (1985). The portrayal of Clever Data, a gadget freak who helps the boys in situations, speaks in a stereotypically Asian accent.
  • Dumbo (1941). Dumbo has been accused of containing racist stereotypes of African Americans at the time in the form of black crows, who use jive-like speech patterns. The main bird is even named Jim Crow, a nod to the racist segregationist Jim Crow laws of the time, and is voiced by a white actor.
  • Aliens (1986). The film has been accused of hi-tech racism and android apartheid due to the way in which humans in the film deal with the presence of other. It has been suggested the character of Ripley, played by Sigourney Weaver, treated them with fear and suspicion.
  • Trading Places (1983). The film was littered with controversies, including Dan Akroyd wearing blackface, continuous stereotyping of black people and women and frequent use of the n-word throughout the movie.
  • Flash Gordon (1980). The film's antagonist, Ming the Merciless, played by Max von Sydow, is viewed as a classic example of Yellow Peril xenophobia.
  • Gone With The Wind (1939). Gone With The Wind has been criticised for romanticising slavery and glosses over the horrors of slavery. The film also features the word 'nigger' throughout, which was used in the book.
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Some criticised the film for feeding on racial stereotypes and on Western beliefs that Arabs needed foreigners to guide them.
  • Tropic Thunder (2008). Robert Downey Jr appeared in blackface for the comedy blockbuster, while many considered use of the word retard, uttered 17 times in the film to denote a person with learning difficulties, as unacceptable.
  • The Jazz Singer (1927). The musical drama was criticised for Al Jolson's use of blackface, though many have since pointed to the fact the actor was a civil rights advocate, often backing projects by black artists, including playwright Garland Anderson.
  • The Littlest Rebel (1935). Perhaps Shirley Temple's most controversial movie, The Littlest Rebel, in which she appears in blackface, is also accused of glorifying Confederate ideals, with black slaves appearing unhappy to be set free.
  • The Lone Ranger (2013). Questions were raised over Johnny Depp's portrayal of Tonto, a Native American, as it sparked a debate over whether actors should play a race other than their own. The actor himself said he considered the role an attempt to try to right the wrongs of the past, meaning poor portrayals of Natives in Hollywood.
  • Balls of Fury (2007). The ping-pong based comedy starring Christopher Walken was criticised for caricaturing Asian characters and carrying racist jokes and a running gag making fun of blind people.
  • The Last Samurai (2003). Tom Cruise's role as a captain hired to train the Japanese army to fight a Samurai rebellion is considered problematic by some for the sense of American superiority portrayed in the film.

Sky say that they are reviewing a number of their titles across their platform and are adding any warnings where they think it necessary to flag issues of cultural sensitivities and attitudes which may cause offense as part of its broader commitment to tackle racial injustice"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th July 2020, 07:44 AM
Cult Addict

Maybe they need to just have this before any film.

If you are a self righteous individual who has no interest in observing the racial/ sexual ideas, attitudes and stereotypes that existed in the past.
Or examining the context of why the world exists as it does, and would rather live in an imaginary bubble of ignorant bliss and denial this film may offend you.

Job sorted.

trebor8273 and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 5th July 2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 5th July 2020, 08:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It really is out of control, shudder at the thought of what films / tv will end up like to please these morons, who don't really give a flying monkeys fart about any of the issues.

Like this? Share it using the links below!