Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2013, 06:18 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

American sitcoms are far better than the UK's in my opinion. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Modern Family are far better than stuff we've produced. I know a lot of people won't agree with that but I'd take those shows over Fawlty Towers, The Office, Only Fools and Horses etc any day
Old 5th April 2013, 10:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion7 View Post
Twin Peaks..6great episodes followed by a series that completely fell apart.
Carnivale...never ended.
Battlestar...extremely over-rated.

You could go on but american tv isn't as good. They spoon feed in the sitcoms and programming. It's just not as good nor as intelligent. The structure is what kills it. The longer seasons and the dumbed down scripts.

You realize it's only by doing the shorter seasons like those done in the UK that they have managed to structure some of these shows tighter.

A good show like Carnivale will be either watered down or cancelled. You mention Firefly, a series cancelled after the first season. And twin peaks a show that was so bungled by the channel that he literally killed off his cast.
Firefly may have been cancelled, but it doesn't take away the genius of the first season which many choose to revisit. Think replay value.. after all the question is if US TV is better. As for Twin Peaks - it may have gone all over the place in Season 2, but so what? It endures and has an unprecedented cult following and tons of replay value. And Battlestar may be overrated to you, but many people loved that show. My OH and I had a blast with it and flew through all the seasons.

And as for Breaking Bad and Deadwood which you neglect to comment on - astonishing TV.
Old 5th April 2013, 06:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Firefly may have been cancelled, but it doesn't take away the genius of the first season which many choose to revisit. Think replay value.. after all the question is if US TV is better. As for Twin Peaks - it may have gone all over the place in Season 2, but so what? It endures and has an unprecedented cult following and tons of replay value. And Battlestar may be overrated to you, but many people loved that show. My OH and I had a blast with it and flew through all the seasons.

And as for Breaking Bad and Deadwood which you neglect to comment on - astonishing TV.
I didn't mention them because overall I like Breaking Bad and though I own Deadwood I've yet to watch a complete series.

Those few shows do not outweight the idiocy of American television and its far from superior, I haven't seen tv worst than american.

Its a dumbed down ideology. If there is one place and one place only that I find the tv well done it The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.
Old 5th April 2013, 07:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I think the reason we, as in from the UK, rate US tv highly is the same reason British shows gain a north American audience, and thats because we only see the cream of the crop in each case.
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 5th April 2013, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We had a show about dogging on TV last night, this argument is void
SharonLynette likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th April 2013, 09:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

jerry Springer
Judge Judy
Morton Downey Jr Show
Geraldo
Pink Lady and Jeff
Marvin marvin
Cop Rock
Viva laughlin(yes they actually tried to do Blackpool)
Couplings(American version)
Liz and Dick(worst tv movie ever made)

Checkmate..and thats but a few.

Demdike had the truest post on this thread. We usually only see the best of each others programming.

I'm from canada and we grew up with a mixture of British and American TV and what little Canadian content we had when I was a kid. I never felt my intelligence insulted when watching british tv. The reason American shows that are written even remotely smart get such press is because there are so many very very mind numbingly bad programs.
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion7 View Post
Couplings(American version)
The original British series is excellent. The best thing Stephen Moffat's ever done imo.

And he squeezed a Dalek into a few episodes.
Hawkmonger and Criterion7 like this.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
The original British series is excellent. The best thing Stephen Moffat's ever done imo.

And he squeezed a Dalek into a few episodes.
One of my favorite..last series was a bit iffy though. Jeff was missed.
Old 22nd April 2013, 01:11 PM
Cult Addict

Does the US have Father Ted? I think not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD-fPb87mVA

DVD and BD collection
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just have a try at the pilot for the TV series version of Zombieland and try to honestly say that US TV is superior
Rik, PaulD, Hawkmonger and 1 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!