Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Is USA TV Far Superior To UK TV? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/10626-usa-tv-far-superior-uk-tv.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2016 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504409)
Every time I watch Seinfeld or Curb you Enthusiasm I just think,well I do not really think we have made anything as good as this,I mean Im a fan of British comedy but is not much that can touch these two shows.

There is only one Larry David.

mr 420 9th September 2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504409)
Every time I watch Seinfeld or Curb you Enthusiasm I just think,well I do not really think we have made anything as good as this,I mean Im a fan of British comedy but is not much that can touch these two shows.

The first two series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. :nod: :hail:

Inspector Abberline 9th September 2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 504438)
The first two series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet. :nod: :hail:

Oh I agree there are many greatUK shows over the years,but Seinfeld did 9 seasons and was still good,any how those bbc remakes that they recently did were bloody awful.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504441)
any how those bbc remakes that they recently did were bloody awful.

The problem is all the shows were of their time. And all were classics, yes, even Goodnight Sweetheart.

Redoing them now, but, for example, removing the dolly birds from Are You Being Served? changes the whole feel of the show meaning it's not a remake as such just a typical politically correct watered down sitcom.

Inspector Abberline 9th September 2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 504446)
The problem is all the shows were of their time. And all were classics, yes, even Goodnight Sweetheart.

Redoing them now, but, for example, removing the dolly birds from Are You Being Served? changes the whole feel of the show meaning it's not a remake as such just a typical politically correct watered down sitcom.

To be honest even when characters like Mrs Slocombe and Mr Humphries tried to be saucy in that 70's style it was so crass and un-funny,why not just repeat the original series,hate it or love it,it still was not that bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504448)
To be honest even when characters like Mrs Slocombe and Mr Humphries tried to be saucy in that 70's style it was so crass and un-funny,why not just repeat the original series,hate it or love it,it still was not that bad.

I agree. It had that sort of 70's 80's feel to it that can't be imitated nowadays. It just feels so fake.

I actually did find Mr Humphries quite funny. :peep:

Inspector Abberline 9th September 2016 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 504451)
I agree. It had that sort of 70's 80's feel to it that can't be imitated nowadays. It just feels so fake.

I actually did find Mr Humphries quite funny. :peep:

I thought he was embarrassingly camp,I have expected Duncan Norvelle to rush in and shout Chase Me,a sad day for British comedy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504454)
I thought he was embarrassingly camp,I have expected Duncan Norvelle to rush in and shout Chase Me,a sad day for British comedy.

Wasn't he meant to be terribly camp?

Inspector Abberline 9th September 2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 504459)
Wasn't he meant to be terribly camp?

terrible being the word,it was just cringe-worthy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th September 2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 504469)
terrible being the word,it was just cringe-worthy.

Unlike Larry David who is a different form cringe worthy due to what he says and does.