Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Open All Hours returns with David Jason (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/11447-open-all-hours-returns-david-jason.html)

Andra Jai 7th October 2013 10:45 PM

Open All Hours returns with David Jason

BBC News - Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show

Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show
David Jason - 1976
30 years on, Granville will now return to our screens as the shop's owner
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

David Jason to tell life story
Blue plaque honours Ronnie Barker
Sir David Jason is reprising his role as Granville in BBC sitcom Open All Hours for a one-off Christmas Special.

Lynda Baron and Maggie Ollerenshaw will also return as nurse Gladys Emmanuel and Mavis respectively.

The original series, starring the late Ronnie Barker as Granville's uncle Arkwright, ran between 1973 and 1985.

"I am sure there is an audience out there who would like to see what Granville has been up to in the corner shop," said Sir David, 73.

"I'm really excited to be bringing back Open All Hours," he added.

"It will be a great family show for Christmas and a fitting tribute to the legacy of Arkwright."

The 30-minute special will be created by the programme's original writer, Roy Clarke.

He said: "This has been fun - a great opportunity to work with David Jason again and to suggest how things at that corner shop might look today."

BBC One controller Charlotte Moore said it made BBC One's Christmas schedule "suddenly feel complete".

In the original programme, which consisted of four series, Arkwright was the miserly Doncaster shop owner and his nephew Granville was his put-upon shop assistant.

In the new one-off episode, Granville now runs the shop, having inherited it from Arkwright.

trebor8273 8th October 2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 370655)
BBC News - Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show

Sir David Jason back for Open All Hours Christmas show
David Jason - 1976
30 years on, Granville will now return to our screens as the shop's owner
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

David Jason to tell life story
Blue plaque honours Ronnie Barker
Sir David Jason is reprising his role as Granville in BBC sitcom Open All Hours for a one-off Christmas Special.

Lynda Baron and Maggie Ollerenshaw will also return as nurse Gladys Emmanuel and Mavis respectively.

The original series, starring the late Ronnie Barker as Granville's uncle Arkwright, ran between 1973 and 1985.

"I am sure there is an audience out there who would like to see what Granville has been up to in the corner shop," said Sir David, 73.

"I'm really excited to be bringing back Open All Hours," he added.

"It will be a great family show for Christmas and a fitting tribute to the legacy of Arkwright."

The 30-minute special will be created by the programme's original writer, Roy Clarke.

He said: "This has been fun - a great opportunity to work with David Jason again and to suggest how things at that corner shop might look today."

BBC One controller Charlotte Moore said it made BBC One's Christmas schedule "suddenly feel complete".

In the original programme, which consisted of four series, Arkwright was the miserly Doncaster shop owner and his nephew Granville was his put-upon shop assistant.

In the new one-off episode, Granville now runs the shop, having inherited it from Arkwright.

Will watch but can't see how it will work without Arkwright and they better still have the till!

Hawkmonger 8th October 2013 04:15 PM

Keeping an open mind about this. But have my doubts, it is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2013 04:25 PM

One of my all time favourite comedies so i would love if this was great but we can only wait and see i will reserve judgement until i watch it.

Bringer Of Funerals 8th October 2013 05:32 PM

I'm not holding out much hope

Dave Boy 9th October 2013 06:38 PM

Mmmm. Not sure about this. Remember when they brought back 'To The Manor Born' for a one off episode. Terrible !:doh:

SharonLynette 9th October 2013 07:02 PM

Usually I'm not sure but I'm quite optimistic about this as it's such a gap between the end of the original series, it might just tie it up nicely without trying to do too much.

I've been watching more and more repeats of the original series recently although I realise I need to buy the dvd as I keep getting the same episodes.

wentworthtv 17th October 2013 02:03 AM

Generally speaking I don't like these kind of Christmas Special revivals. I do like a revival that is a whole series though - even if it turns out not to be very good. A special has little risk behind it or substance to it. However, I'm a fan of David Jason so I'm willing to give anything a go - at least for the first two minutes.

Susan Foreman 28th October 2013 08:17 AM

Yahoo News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines - Robbie Williams for Open All Hours?

Hawkmonger 28th October 2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 374257)

Don't some "journalists" have anything better to do?:crazy: