Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Taking baby steps exploring the new millenium's anime (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/11680-taking-baby-steps-exploring-new-milleniums-anime.html)

bdc 5th January 2014 12:44 PM

Taking baby steps exploring the new millenium's anime

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2mhbktz.jpg

As I mentioned here I recently ran into a former co-worker who's a big manga/anime fan.

I used to watch a lot of anime in the 80's but somehow it all sort of stopped somewhere in the 90's...
Recently I re-discovered my old passion for anime I guess and also started watching a "new" (post-2000) anime series titled Highschool of the Dead which left me wanting to watch more series.

Only problem was I knew nothing about the newer series,so after some experimenting I bumped into this anime guy I knew from work and he has been introducing me to the newer anime series. :)

He did this by letting me watch the first episode of series I was interested in (mainly naughty or more fan service oriented anime series for but also some other ones he suggested) which allowed me to get a feel of the series.

This has helped me tremendously as I was just watching series openings before and they often are misleading.

Yesterday I went back over to his place and we watched a lot of first episodes and even 1 second episode.

We also had a little New Year's celebration which only upped the fun (yes alcohol was involved :party: ).

This time we watched these first episodes:

Kämpfer
Agent Aika
Seikon No Qwaser
Infinite Stratos
Ikki Tousen
Heaven's Lost Property

And episode 2 of Girls und Panzer!

I enjoyed them all though Aika and Ikki Tousen looked decidedly old school to me (Aika is indeed a 90's anime),which is not a bad thing btw.

Kämpfer is a weird one with a guy transforming into a girl (but still looking somewhat like a guy) when he goes into battle mode,which can lead to all kinds of fun things I guess. :lol:

My favourites out of the bunch would be:

Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property) - Opening HD - YouTube

Girls und Panzer Opening - YouTube

Infinite Stratos and Seikon No Qwaser look very promising as well though...

bdc 7th January 2014 08:18 PM

Just got a message from my mate and will be exploring more newer anime with him this weekend. ;)

bdc 12th January 2014 11:37 AM

So...this time we watched first episodes of these shows.
My mate included some different genres this time. :)

Chobits
Needless
Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo (Hentai! surprise)
The World God Only Knows
Ladies Vs Butlers
Full Metal Panic!
Aria The Scarlet Diva
Shuffle

Well,Chobits was a really fun mix of scifi and naughtiness,Needless almost gave me a headache (my mate had warned me it could be described as Dragonball Z,not really a fan of that one I'm afraid,meets Mad Max)...as it was so "intense" but I sort of liked it.

Kanojo came a bit as a surprise as I wasn't expecting a Hentai but my mate had a good laugh I guess. :lol: It is a very well made Hentai though.

The World God Only Knows was ok I guess,Ladies Vs Butlers was naughty fun,Full Metal Panic! was a request as I already watched Fumoffu some time ago,really liked it.

Aria and Shuffle were both enjoyable as well.

My favourites out of this bunch:

Chobits - Opening (HD) - YouTube

Full Metal Panic! Opening 1 [1080p HD]

keirarts 13th January 2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 386988)
So...this time we watched first episodes of these shows.
My mate included some different genres this time. :)

Chobits
Needless
Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo (Hentai! surprise)
The World God Only Knows
Ladies Vs Butlers
Full Metal Panic!
Aria The Scarlet Diva
Shuffle

Well,Chobits was a really fun mix of scifi and naughtiness,Needless almost gave me a headache (my mate had warned me it could be described as Dragonball Z,not really a fan of that one I'm afraid,meets Mad Max)...as it was so "intense" but I sort of liked it.

Kanojo came a bit as a surprise as I wasn't expecting a Hentai but my mate had a good laugh I guess. :lol: It is a very well made Hentai though.

The World God Only Knows was ok I guess,Ladies Vs Butlers was naughty fun,Full Metal Panic! was a request as I already watched Fumoffu some time ago,really liked it.

Aria and Shuffle were both enjoyable as well.

My favourites out of this bunch:

Chobits - Opening (HD) - YouTube

Full Metal Panic! Opening 1 [1080p HD]

The New Berserk! and Evangalion films are worth a try. (the origional Berserk series is a classic and also worth picking up)

Steins gate is a personal fave of mine at the minute.

bdc 13th January 2014 09:30 AM

I'll ask him about those when I visit him again. ;)

keirarts 13th January 2014 09:53 AM

Also nice to see some love for heaven's lost property. There's a huge amount of love put into that show, its one of those where you can tell the creators had a blast making it. Even the end credits are fantastic.

bdc 13th January 2014 10:00 AM

Would be nice if that one got a UK release,there's a US and Aussie release.

bdc 13th January 2014 12:58 PM

Best anime reviewers?

I've been watching some reviewers on youtube lately...what are the best reviewers (youtube or otherwise) in your opinion? ;)

bdc 13th January 2014 08:20 PM

Here's 2 I've been watching/exploring.

GrArkada has fun reviews but I don't always agree with his opinions. ;)

GRArkada - YouTube

TuxedoRay is the stereotypical ecchi fan I guess :lol: but he has some interesting videos up if you're into ecchi manga/anime.

TuxedoRay - YouTube (NSFW)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2014 04:46 PM

Threads merged.