Old 7th July 2019, 05:29 PM
Cult Master

This is the one I have got, which has been well thumbed over the years

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th July 2019, 07:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 3 The Fine Feathered Finks

Batman01.jpg

I'm so glad Aunt Herriot is very gullible, every time she enters the room with some tea or snacks Bruce and Dick are off out of the room bass fishing or bird watching or some other nefarious activity. Any how Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, has been released from prison, Warden Crichton (David Lewis) seems to think he has been rehabilitated, but we soon learn different as the Penguin has a dastardly plan involving exploding umbrellas...I have to say its very hard for me to except anyone else apart from Burgess Meredith as The Penguin,(as good as Danny DeVito was in the film),...You can tell he revels in the role, and is pitch perfect in every way. I also luv his purple top hat...Again for a kids show there some strong stuff here, Bruce Wayne tied up on a conveyor belt about to feed into a furnace,( we all know its not gonna happen, but still A FURNACE!!!)...Penguin has a anti bug device in his umbrella shop, obviously the umbrella business is tough in Gotham …Batman and Robin spend quite a bit of time examining an umbrella in the Batcave, to the extent of putting through several different machines, and getting know where with it really, still its fun seeing all those machines flash and whirl away in the background. Highlight of episode 3,is a giant umbrella, literally the size of a building...fantastic...

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 8th July 2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 9th July 2019, 06:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 3 & 4: The Fine Feathered Finks/The Penguin's a Jinx

batman-the-penguins-a-jinx-01.jpg

While I luv the show very much, I had forgotten about the incessant punning, Its like pun-aggeddon, and that narrator doesn't help either, but of course this is all part of the fun is the pun...Part 4 see's a tied up Bruce Wayne escape his fiery death in good old traditional serial style last minute escape with the aide of a lighter...(don't ask me I failed all my sciences)...What the Batman does not know is that the Penguin has bugged the duo, and is using the Bat's brains to give him ideas for his next robbery, what cunning I hear you cry. Well not so much a robbery as a kidnapping, and who are they kidnapping, but the lovely Ms Dawn Robin's played by Leslie Parrish, looking rather striking all in gold...One Dawn …..gone...says the narrator ,twice just to drive the pun home...Burgess Meredith is just amazing as the Penguin, sitting in his chair puffing on a cigarette in a cig holder of course, I can't really see someone smoking on a kids TV show in this day and age, not that that I'm condoning cigs of course, but when your a super villain you can do as you damn please I say. Of course the Penguins plans are thwarted and status quo is resumed. Oddly a sombre ending as Ms Dawn who has fallen in Love with Batman pines for her hero...Highlight being the bazooka-Batarangs..

Old 9th July 2019, 07:09 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Attachment 216727

While I luv the show very much, I had forgotten about the incessant punning, Its like pun-aggeddon, and that narrator doesn't help either, but of course this is all part of the fun is the pun...Part 4 see's a tied up Bruce Wayne escape his fiery death in good old traditional serial style last minute escape with the aide of a lighter...(don't ask me I failed all my sciences)...What the Batman does not know is that the Penguin has bugged the duo, and is using the Bat's brains to give him ideas for his next robbery, what cunning I hear you cry. Well not so much a robbery as a kidnapping, and who are they kidnapping, but the lovely Ms Dawn Robin's played by Leslie Parrish, looking rather striking all in gold...One Dawn …..gone...says the narrator ,twice just to drive the pun home...Burgess Meredith is just amazing as the Penguin, sitting in his chair puffing on a cigarette in a cig holder of course, I can't really see someone smoking on a kids TV show in this day and age, not that that I'm condoning cigs of course, but when your a super villain you can do as you damn please I say. Of course the Penguins plans are thwarted and status quo is resumed. Oddly a sombre ending as Ms Dawn who has fallen in Love with Batman pines for her hero...Highlight being the bazooka-Batarangs..

Really making me want to crack out the boxset myself now reading these reviews.
Old 9th July 2019, 07:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

Really making me want to crack out the boxset myself now reading these reviews.
I was going to do this alongside the Inspector but he couldn't be arsed to let me know when he was starting,
Old 9th July 2019, 07:34 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was going to do this alongside the Inspector but he couldn't be arsed to let me know when he was starting,
Some people
Old 9th July 2019, 07:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
As my side kick you should be intuitive and know my every move.....by the way I've started....

Old 9th July 2019, 07:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
As my side kick you should be intuitive and know my every move.....by the way I've started....
I don't think even you know your every move, sir.

I'm six episodes off the end of series six of Deep Space 9 so i'll probably just continue with that.
Old 10th July 2019, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Batman, Episode 5 The Joker is Wild

joker.jpg

5 The Joker is Wild
While I do honestly think that Cesar Romero as The Joker, is a brilliant portrayal and the template for further incarnations later on, its a real shame they could not get Cesar to shave off that moustache, I know it was his trademark etc, but every time he is on screen all I'm looking for is the makeup covering up the damn thing...Apart form my minor phobia of his upper lip, Romero really does chew the scenery up with his outlandish portrayal...The Joker has managed to escape jail by an exploding baseball and a giant spring which catapults him over the wall...You would think that after a while Commissioner Gordon might get a bit suspicious that whenever he is in the same room with Bruce and Dick, he can never get hold of Batman, then again you would think Alfred would come up with a better excuse than there out, what about a Batman voice impersonator caped crusader.???
Episode highlight, was the dynamic duo swinging down from the rafters of the tv studio, really great stunt work, which is done so fast that you do not get the chance to scrutinise any continuity errors, really well choreographed bit of action from the stunt guys. Also a sulky Dick Grayson gets told off for not playing his piano probably, All music is important, Dick. It's the universal language. One of our best hopes for the eventual realization of the brotherhood of man, says Bruce...Don't worry Dick, when the dynamic duo arrive at the museum, a group of teeny boppers get all hot and wet for the appearance of Robin, so swings and roundabouts..

Old 11th July 2019, 06:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 5 & 6: The Joker is Wild/Batman is Riled

Riled.jpgPoor, deluded child.jpg

Holy copyright!!! The Joker has stolen the idea of a bat utility belt, and has come up with his own Joker utility belt, which he now uses against the caped crusader, and is winning the war of crime in Gotham with it...the episode should of been called batman gets depressed a little, poor Bats, is taking it to heart, that he has not captured The Joker yet...Its not helping much that the media is laying a guilt trip on bats as well, as the news reader tells the heart warming story of his little 8 year old son Harold, who saying his prayers at night "God bless my dog Spot. "And please, Batman, whoever you are behind that mask of yours please save us.".. yeah well done Harold like Bats isn't under enough stress without you and spot wading in...Its one of those episode's, that when someone has a gadget or gas, then the other has another gadget to counter the other gadget, and so on and so on to infinity and beyond. Highlight this episode, has Batman handcuffing Nancy Kovack while trying not to look straight into her cleavage..."Poor, deluded child."...Again Batman and Robin captured (although this is a double bluff as usual)...and what is to be there fate??? do not worry kids, the Joker is only going to decapitate the both of them, seems slightly harsh to me....What impress me the most is that The Joker is not afraid to wade into a punch up (well his stunt man anyway) and is never slow in giving Bats a good kicking...

Like this? Share it using the links below!