Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree420Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2019, 05:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Episode 7 - Instant Freeze

Instant_F.jpgfreeze.jpg

Wow Holy villain casting, Mr. Freeze is played by none other than George (Psychomania) Sanders then later on by Otto Preminger, yes that Otto and then later on by Eli Wallach, yes that Eli. Unfortunately, Sanders does not really pull off the whole supervillain thing, his accent seems to change, every other sentence and his performance, in general, is a little bit stiff compared to the other villains in the show. And unfortunately the episode suffers accordingly, the Freeze may have some cool gadgets in his armoury and also a very smart looking suit, but none of this helps I'm afraid. For all his freezing abilities you never really think that Mr Freeze is going to do anything more than keep your ice lollies frozen let alone endanger the lives of the caped crusaders...The plot has Mr Freeze seeking revenge on Batman, for in a previous encounter Batman accidentally split some Instant freeze on Doctor Schievel aka Mr Freeze, and now he is back for revenge, oh yeah and to steal some ice (diamonds)..And while it is not a bad episode, its the first one where I sort of went MEH after watching it...There's a pretty cool fight between Batman and a bunch of phoney Batmen and phoney Mr Freezes, but action-wise its lacking

Old 12th July 2019, 07:23 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Great reviews over the last couple of days
Old 12th July 2019, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Great reviews over the last couple of days
Cheers Nord much appreciated...In your opinion how would you rate Chief Miles O'Hara (Stafford Repp) Irish accent...are we talking Father Ted or Tom Cruise Far And Away....????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freeze.jpg (64.2 KB, 1 views)

Old 12th July 2019, 08:29 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Cheers Nord much appreciated...In your opinion how would you rate Chief Miles O'Hara (Stafford Repp) Irish accent...are we talking Father Ted or Tom Cruise Far And Away....????
I have never heard anyone in Ireland talk like any of these people. Father Ted is a perfect repusentation of Ireland.
Old 13th July 2019, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 8 Rats Like Cheese

Rats.jpgfreeze.jpg

Mr freeze is even more dreary and boring in the next episode, I have to say that I'm very glad George Sanders never reprised the role again, any disrespect to George Sanders but he was never suited to this role I'm afraid, and his accent was starting to annoy me as well...Batman and Robin have been frozen, and while being defrosted in Gotham City Hospital, Commissioner James Gordon gets all teary-eyed as he wistfully stares at the frozen caped crusaders lying in there hospital beds.in fact, it all gets a little weird and homoerotic to say the least, snap out of it Gordon you got crimes to solve...Also, the dynamic duo is frozen inexplicably in the same position that they are laid out in their hospital beds...After a kidnap switch with baseball player Paul Diamante, Batman is now in the clutches of Freeze, only being able to move around Freeze's domain within certain heated segments that Freeze controls. Robin who disobeyed Bats command to not follow him, also gets himself captured, boy blunder indeed. The whole episode is tied up nicely with a punch up, not before Batman explains to Freeze that he was able to withstand the cold because he was wearing Batman thermal underwear, the simple ideas are always the best...Not many highlights in this episode I'm afraid, Of course, Chief Miles O'Hara and his keystone cops arrive in late as usual but I did like Bruce and Dicks's reaction to being offered baked Alaska (an ice cream-based dessert that Freeze gave them when they were being held, hostage).

Old 14th July 2019, 03:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Batman, Episode 9 - Zelda the Great

Zelda.jpgvlcsnap-00071.jpg

While watching the box set of the tv series, the one thing which I do now realise is how many of these episodes I have not seen before. And this is mainly down to the fact that regional television stations on what was ITV and in my area HTV, were so damn hit or miss with what they showed back then, and certainly, the scheduling of shows was very erratic at the time...I say this because I can not ever recall seeing this episode of Zelda The Great or the follow up episode A Death Worse Than Fate..Anne Baxter is this episodes villainess, portraying a rather glam magician and escapologist who has all her tricks made by for some reason an Albanian called Eivol Ekdal ( Jack Kruschen) ...Only one problem Zelda has to rob a bank every so often to pay for her contraptions, otherwise Ekdal won't make her any more. This has to be the weakest excuse for a crime your ever likely to hear, why she could not find someone else is beyond me. And while Zelda is not the most exciting of villains, Baxter does give it her all, and of course, manages to worm her way into Batmans good books. Mind you she's not all sugar and spice, as she does hang Aunt Harriet over a pot of boiling oil while she sits there doing her knitting and has an annoying habit of breaking the fourth wall like I care what she's up to...Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson has also taken up stargazing, makes a change from bird watching,bass fishing and playing the piano badly...

Old 14th July 2019, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I had no idea the episodes had titles that rhymed until i read these reviews, Inspector.
Old 14th July 2019, 03:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

ZELDA THE GREAT

Aunt Harriet: "Mercy alive, whoever that unknown Batman is, I hope he sees the signal... "
Bruce: "Great heavens, what a fool I am. Isn't today Wednesday, Alfred"?
Alfred: "Indeed, sir".
Bruce "Wednesday night, Gotham Town Hall. We have tickets to that lecture on Latin American affairs".
Dick: "Holy Venezuela, you're right"!
Old 14th July 2019, 04:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Attachment 216851Attachment 216852

While watching the box set of the tv series, the one thing which I do now realise is how many of these episodes I have not seen before. And this is mainly down to the fact that regional television stations on what was ITV and in my area HTV, were so damn hit or miss with what they showed back then, and certainly, the scheduling of shows was very erratic at the time...
Back in the early '90's, Channel 4 broadcast the entire run of Batman.

One episode was shown daily Monday - Friday in (I think) the 5:30pm slot

It started with 'Hi Diddle Diddle' and concluding with 'Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires' over three years later!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th July 2019, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ And I managed to tape the whole lot!!

Yes, it was a mammoth task.

I may still have them in a box in the loft.

Like this? Share it using the links below!