Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2014, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Shiki is one of the best vampire stories i've seen in years...
Totally agree with this excellent series. Well worth seeking out for lovers of anime and horror/vampires. All so in someways it reminds me of salems lot
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th October 2014, 05:32 PM
Cult Addict

Been a while. One sunday taken up with a certain film festival. Also the continued catch up with naruto, which frankly is boring to keep talking about. Also some sad news regarding hunter x hunter, the manga author has some health issues so it keeps going on hiatus. As a result the anime has been cancelled indefinitely, sad as its one of the best long running shows out there. Speaking of which started back in on FAIRY TAIL, nice to see the quality hasn't dropped, though I hear horrible rumours about impending filler....

Did get TOKYO GHOUL watched.

12 episode series where ghouls haunt the cities eating human flesh. Their not the lovecraftian ghouls or the Romero ones (though nods to both in the show) but supernaturally powered beings hunted by shady organisations and tormented by weather they deserve to live or not.
It's not especially original and re-uses a lot of well worn plot twists and character development, it is however very bloody and has a hockey mask wearing character named Jason turning up! Not a classic but worth a go.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th October 2014, 08:12 AM
Cultist

I've been doing the same with a friend, we have started watching Anime every Wednesday.

Last night we finished off the last two episodes of Knights of Sidonia. I quite enjoyed it although I found it hard to care about the characters, I didn't feel like I knew enough back story to actually feel attached to them. Overall I thought it was good though, the whole idea of the enemies is really interesting, and I can't wait for the second season. There is so much still left unanswered.

Then we started on Space Dandy. Have you watched any of this Keirarts? It is great fun, I will definitely keep watching this.

Next Wednesday we are planning on making a night of it and watching all three Berserk Golden Age Ark movies back to back! I have loved Berserk ever since I imported the original series about 12 years ago, but my friend has never seen any of it or read any of the manga. Although the films aren't quite as in depth as the series I still thought they were a great addition and they should be a good entry to the series for my friend.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th October 2014, 08:49 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRange View Post
I've been doing the same with a friend, we have started watching Anime every Wednesday.

Last night we finished off the last two episodes of Knights of Sidonia. I quite enjoyed it although I found it hard to care about the characters, I didn't feel like I knew enough back story to actually feel attached to them. Overall I thought it was good though, the whole idea of the enemies is really interesting, and I can't wait for the second season. There is so much still left unanswered.

Then we started on Space Dandy. Have you watched any of this Keirarts? It is great fun, I will definitely keep watching this.

Next Wednesday we are planning on making a night of it and watching all three Berserk Golden Age Ark movies back to back! I have loved Berserk ever since I imported the original series about 12 years ago, but my friend has never seen any of it or read any of the manga. Although the films aren't quite as in depth as the series I still thought they were a great addition and they should be a good entry to the series for my friend.
Berserk! is one of my personal favourites. The new films are great and offer a true ending to the Golden age arc. Would still like to see more as an anime as there is a lot more to the story! The only downer with the films are they lose the frankly amazing soundtrack.

I've been watching Space Dandy and loving it. It's the same team behind COWBOY BEEBOP and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, two astounding series so no way would I miss it!
Old 20th October 2014, 01:48 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Berserk! is one of my personal favourites. The new films are great and offer a true ending to the Golden age arc. Would still like to see more as an anime as there is a lot more to the story! The only downer with the films are they lose the frankly amazing soundtrack.

I've been watching Space Dandy and loving it. It's the same team behind COWBOY BEEBOP and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, two astounding series so no way would I miss it!
I love the music to the original series too. I have the soundtrack and used to listen to it all the time. It's a shame they didn't use some of it for the new movies. I was really hoping the series would continue, there is plenty of material they could use from the Manga, but I haven't heard any news yet. Maybe they didn't make enough money.

I'm glad other people are enjoying the movies, I hear a lot of bashing but they're really pretty good. Any excuse for more Berserk
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th November 2014, 08:11 AM
Cult Addict

Update!

Well managed to polish off a 26 episode series called M3. Basically it involves a strange supernatural occurrence that basically turns most of Tokyo into silent hill. Occasionally weird 'grudges' get out and terrorise folk so mecha pilots have to take them on.
Not as good as that premise sounds, it has its moments and is interesting enough to watch. The plot however feels a little thin and perhaps would have been better served condensed into 13 episodes. Also a little too much angst and not enough mecha action. Decent story, great animation and an interesting concept perhaps not used to as full as effect as I had hoped. Certainly if you saw KNIGHTS OF SIDONIA which mixed horror and mecha action far more successfully you will likely be underwhelmed.

Ah well... after that I finished SPACE DANDY.

Perhaps one of the most perfect shows of this last year. Dandy is a freewheeling, funny and occasionally poignant show with a great ending. We get plots as diverse as zombie plagues, intergalactic dance contests and high school musicals over the 26 episode series and its all great. I suspect part of that reason is that a lot of the team that gave us both COWBOY BEEBOP and SAMURAI CHAMPLOO worked on this and the quality shows.

Speaking of which, Shinichiro watanabe, director and part of the creative force of dandy has also delivered a neat little show called ZANKYOU NO TERROR (RESONANCE OF TERROR) an 11 episode tale of teenagers used as guinea pigs by the state becoming terrorists. Very well written and directed I suspect the short length of the series may be budgetary, it could do with more episodes perhaps but what there is is gold and well worth seeking out.
Old 14th November 2014, 01:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Going to start watching a show called blue gender, anyone seen it?
Old 14th November 2014, 07:04 PM
Cult Addict

Blue Gender is like an eco version of starship troopers with earth's survivors living in a space station and venturing to earth's surface to fight bugs. Its worth watching but the final episode is a bit of a stinker. Everything before that is excellent however.
Old 20th November 2014, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Eden of the East wa only going to watch the first episode but I'm hooked and can't stop watching it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watching Eden of the East wa only going to watch the first episode but I'm hooked and can't stop watching it.
An excellent choice. Definitely compulsive viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!