Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The BBC PLAY FOR TODAY thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/12661-bbc-play-today-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 11:33 AM

The BBC PLAY FOR TODAY thread

Anyone remember the BBC's 'PLAY FOR TODAY'?

Many classic short films appeared on this along with countless familiar British character actors and a lot of well known directors cut their teeth on these.

Any particular episodes spring to memory?

Discuss here.:)

Play For Today intro - YouTube

Play for Today - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 11:36 AM

The alternate version of SCUM which is in the Blue Underground Alan Clarke boxset obviously springs to mind and had the Beeb having kittens!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Being Scottish,these remain favourites and were repeated During the early 1990's.

JUST A BOYS GAME
JUST ANOTHER SATURDAY
THE ELEPHANT'S GRAVEYARD

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 12:07 PM

A fave of mine:

Penda's Fen (1974)

'Penda's Fen' directed by Alan Clarke & written by David Rudkin - YouTube

Reviewed here.

Demoncrat 17th October 2014 12:57 PM

Dennis Potter!!

Nuff said.;)

Mojo 17th October 2014 03:09 PM

PLAY FOR TODAY is the kind of series we'll probably never see the likes of again - more's the pity.
It certainly delivered some brilliantly diverse dramas, including a few in the horror genre. PENDA'S FEN would make an ideal BFI release.
I don't know how many of the original transmissions still exist, but I would love a PLAY FOR TODAY boxset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 421718)
Being Scottish,these remain favourites and were repeated During the early 1990's.

JUST A BOYS GAME
JUST ANOTHER SATURDAY
THE ELEPHANT'S GRAVEYARD

I guess this is the nearest we'll get at the moment. Cheers reaps, didn't realise this was available. On the 'to buy' list straight away!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 04:36 PM

No probs Moj.

I'm SURE Down Among the Big Boys was screened as a play for today in the mid '90's,but then again I may be wrong.
May have been part of a Peter McDougall play.:confused:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 04:38 PM

Interesting site here.....

PLAY FOR TODAY INTRODUCTION | British Television Drama

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 04:41 PM

The brilliant ROBIN REDBREAST was also originally shown as a PFT.:nod:

Anyone who hasn't bought this,should btw.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well worth a tenner of anyone's hard earned.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robin-Redbre...obin+redbreast

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 421726)

Another classic mate.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Won't bother waiting to see if HMV have this or not.
Ordered!

Mojo 17th October 2014 05:50 PM

Interesting to read that the BFI have been gathering together as many of the PLAY FOR TODAY titles as possible over the years. They certainly have released some good 'uns on dvd in recent times.

I'm always hoping they could some day release a boxset collection, similar to their upcoming release of OUT OF THE UNKNOWN.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 06:43 PM

Yeah that'd be fantastic.A must buy!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2014 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right,offski to watch this......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th October 2014 07:19 PM

STRANGE......:wacko:

SharonLynette 13th March 2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 422037)
Right,offski to watch this......

I saw that on sale for £6.00 in Manchester, couldn't remember if I already had it so didn't pick it up........ I didn't already have it... :(

SharonLynette 13th March 2015 06:02 PM

This isn't my petition, although I'm fully all for it, have you guys seen this?

Petitioning The BBC: Repeat your treasure trove of Single Drama such as Play For Today and Screen One on BBC4 NOW!

I know we are a forum of hoarders and spenders but it would still be great to have them repeated, especially as a large amount of the drama put out now is just a bit toss.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th March 2016 11:55 PM

Signed Sharon!:)

Mojo 26th March 2016 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BFI's upcoming Alan Clarke blu ray boxset features a number of Play For Today and single plays from the BBC, including PENDA'S FEN.

Attachment 177120

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 482686)
BFI's upcoming Alan Clarke blu ray boxset features a number of Play For Today and single plays from the BBC, including PENDA'S FEN.

Attachment 177120

Penda's Fen is also getting a stand alone release which i'm pleased about.

Mojo 26th March 2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482689)
Penda's Fen is also getting a stand alone release which i'm pleased about.

Me too! Really looking forward to seeing this.

Mojo 21st October 2020 05:10 PM

Interesting piece about folk horror on Play For Today :

https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/play...ampaign=buffer

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 638371)
Interesting piece about folk horror on Play For Today :

https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/play...ampaign=buffer

Thanks for posting, Mojo.

Very interesting. First few paragraphs i thought 'yep seen all these' then it became really interesting with a few things i'm desperate to see or more especially own - Vampires, Rainy Day Women and certainly The Witches of Pendle.

Hopefully the BFI can release everything at some point, hopefully in one collected bundle.

I'd still love a Mark Gatiss Ghost Stories for Christmas triple bill of The Tractate Middoth, The Dead Room and Martin's Close to be going on with.

Demoncrat 21st October 2020 06:29 PM

Vampires WAS on YT D ....

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 638373)
Vampires WAS on YT D ....

I think it's a mindset thing. As my tv isn't web connected i never really watch anything much longer than a music video in length on my 19" monitor. I'm happy to have a look at a movie or such like but i've never sat through one all the way.

I just want to own things on disc. Same with borrowing discs from people, they never feel right as they aren't mine.

I know, i'm ****ing weird!

nosferatu42 21st October 2020 07:04 PM

I've watched loads on Youtube but if i like them i end up getting a disc anyway if possible.:rolleyes:

Mojo 21st October 2020 07:38 PM

Plus the fact that a lot of these things on YT are shit quality.
The plays in the first volume have been completely remastered - the clips I’ve seen look fantastic.
Be great to see more plays ( including more horror type titles ) getting a similar release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st October 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 638386)
Plus the fact that a lot of these things on YT are shit quality.

Agreed, it's not like the nasties era when you'd take anything you could find. If something's really poor quality it more often than not spoils my opinion of them.

Inspector Abberline 23rd October 2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 638376)
I think it's a mindset thing. As my tv isn't web connected i never really watch anything much longer than a music video in length on my 19" monitor. I'm happy to have a look at a movie or such like but i've never sat through one all the way.

I just want to own things on disc. Same with borrowing discs from people, they never feel right as they aren't mine.

I know, i'm ****ing weird!

And a Nazi......

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 638515)
And a Nazi......

Right, enough's enough!

That's the last time i'm car sharing with you to our gatherings. Find someone else to drive you. :skull:

Inspector Abberline 23rd October 2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 638542)
Right, enough's enough!

That's the last time i'm car sharing with you to our gatherings. Find someone else to drive you. :skull:

Yeah well I'm sick and tired of dressing up as Eva Braun at these Allo Allo conventions, your always going as Herr Flick, not fair...:jaws:

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 638544)
Yeah well I'm sick and tired of dressing up as Eva Braun at these Allo Allo conventions, your always going as Herr Flick, not fair...:jaws:

Eva was better than when you persuaded me to go as the fallen Madonna with the big boobies.

That was downright embarrassing. Conical bras simply not my style.

Inspector Abberline 23rd October 2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 638547)
Eva was better than when you persuaded me to go as the fallen Madonna with the big boobies.

That was downright embarrassing. Conical bras simply not my style.

Never hurt Madonna's career....( you do realise no one under the age of forty has a clue what were on about)....back to topic..... when will Play Away get a Blu Ray release...Long Live Brian Cant........

Quote:

I was pissing by the door when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hand a smoking goon, you are clearly the guilty potty.

Demoncrat 17th November 2020 11:09 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Just noticed that the P4T that Scully was based on has popped up on my new fave YT channel!!!!!!!! Night sorted. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

gag 17th November 2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 640392)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Just noticed that the P4T that Scully was based on has popped up on my new fave YT channel!!!!!!!! Night sorted. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

Bought the series scully I think late last year early this year, enjoyable tv series .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th November 2020 07:13 PM

Jesus,Scully!
Now there's a blast from the past!

Demoncrat 17th November 2020 07:21 PM

Indeed la :lol:

I can't tell you how many times I've watched the Network set (ENJOY gag!!!!), so this will be fun. :nod:

Back soon!!!

Mojo 17th November 2020 07:43 PM

Got this set and am absolutely loving it so far :cool:

Demoncrat 19th November 2020 06:56 PM

Scully's New Years Eve (1978)

Kudos for a start for the hair la :lol:
Ever been trapped in a situation that is beyond your control, well Francis' night might ring some bells then (no pun intended)
Basically a template for the series, what with the asides to the audience etc etc. Watch agog as John Junkin and Mick Miller pop up as relatives. Pick your jaw off the floor when you realise that the little spitfire in the corner is Janine Duvitski :nod:
Ahem. Another fascinating time capsule. :pop2: