Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   USA Netflix Vs. UK Netflix (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/12829-usa-netflix-vs-uk-netflix.html)

Vipp 19th February 2015 10:09 AM

USA Netflix Vs. UK Netflix

Okay i need to get this off my chest, i hate advert on TV so for years i haven't had a TV that received any form of broadcast, if it doesn't come from my PS3 or DVD player it doesn't appear on my TV's.

So years later i decide to give Netlfix a try, i work very very hard for minimum wage, so i like to make my small pot of money go as far as i can. I'm not tight or stingey, i just like to have companies try and work as hard for my money as i work for my money, that way i can feel better about my shit life.
So i get Netflix and watch nearly all of the content that is good enough for me AND i even watch some of the lesser crap that isn't really appealing to me but i paid for Netflix so why not try new stuff even thought it looks like :censored: like 'The ABC's of Death' (which as you know, i was right to assume it was :censored:)

So i ask my other half if we should bother paying for basically the privilege to watch a few good TV shows over and over and maybe the odd film like Harold and Maud and a friend of ours overhears this and asked me what i thought to USA Netflix? I told him i didn't live in America and he had my laptop working a new DNS sever quicker than i could say 'Holy shit USA netflix is VASTLY bigger that the UK version, and i have been SHAFTED by UK Netflix' (See what i did there folks? haha)

So i want to rant a lot more about this but i respect you all have lives and don;t need to listen to my crap. i would appreciate any thoughts about this so i can either argue my case and convince you all i am right or maybe i will learn that im wrong and need something better to do with my time than piss the mod's of cult labs off with my terrible grammar.

Thank you for your thoughts guys and ladies. :thankingyou:

shel 19th February 2015 10:25 AM

Yeah I use "unblock us" for DNS access to the US netflix on all the xboxes and PS3 in the house. There's a bunch of stuff on uk that isnt on US but it really is like comparing the corner shop to a warehouse isn't it.

I don't think it's a shafting thing though, of you look at how many US subscribers they'll have compared to UK they have to be economical in what they choose to licence. They know about the DNS way of accessing and said they aren't gonna stop it (like the studios want them to do) so they're allowing any one that has the cunning to circumvent what they have to do by the studios.

Netflix is great for the movie lover but their apps are absolutely rubbish. Someone mentioned the cold hard number of how many titles they have but there's no way of browsing them properly without searching for a specific title or director etc. On the Amazon streaming app (or site) you can pick a genre and scroll right until you're sick of looking at movie posters. Everything is buried on Netflix. I wish they spent some money improving it.

PaulD 19th February 2015 10:51 AM

Yeah, it's all just down to licensing arrangements they have. Not Netflix's fault. No different to a company bringing out a locked Region A bluray because the licensors want them too I suspect

Vipp 19th February 2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 436383)
Yeah, it's all just down to licensing arrangements they have. Not Netflix's fault. No different to a company bringing out a locked Region A bluray because the licensors want them too I suspect

Well thanks Paul and Shel, i thought i was going to start a war over this and you guys explained it away in a couple of lines. Haha.

PaulD 19th February 2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shel (Post 436380)
. They know about the DNS way of accessing and said they aren't gonna stop it (like the studios want them to do) so they're allowing any one that has the cunning to circumvent what they have to do by the studios.

Apparently the reason for that is they make a lot (maybe most?) of their money through Chinese subscriptions where Netflix isn't even available so cracking down on people accessing them through DNS servers would lose them a hell of a lot of money.

The good thing Vipp is that it is easy to access the other territories after a quick Google, especially if you watch it on your computer

shel 19th February 2015 01:21 PM

The Raid 2 has just been added to UK flix, no sign of it on US. Zero Dark Thirty too at a glance. So there are a few. But yeah my previous comment stands about corner shop vs warehouse.

PaulD 19th February 2015 02:08 PM

Yeah. there are some things on the UK one which are absent from the US one. The Canadian Netflix seems to be the only one I've found which has the Hannibal tv show which I've been enjoying at the minute.

shel 19th February 2015 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 436410)
Yeah. there are some things on the UK one which are absent from the US one. The Canadian Netflix seems to be the only one I've found which has the Hannibal tv show which I've been enjoying at the minute.

Haven't had a play with Candian Netflix, will have to have a browse.

Anth 19th February 2015 05:48 PM

The thing that annoys me is the USA Netflix has Max, but the UK does not.

It really is a nice feature to have and there is just something about it that is cheering.

http://youtu.be/zjHeOGwwMek

I personally use Adfreetime for my DNS switching as its only £1.20 per month.

Alongside the PS3 and Netflix, you can easily get an Amazon Fire TV, or a Apple TV. As they have internal DNS switching.

I really would recommend getting a PS3 though due to Max. As it is that good of a feature to have and the PS3 is the only thing that has Max on it.

trebor8273 19th February 2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 436428)
The thing that annoys me is the USA Netflix has Max, but the UK does not.

It really is a nice feature to have and there is just something about it that is cheering.

http://youtu.be/zjHeOGwwMek

I personally use Adfreetime for my DNS switching as its only £1.20 per month.

Alongside the PS3 and Netflix, you can easily get an Amazon Fire TV, or a Apple TV. As they have internal DNS switching.

I really would recommend getting a PS3 though due to Max. As it is that good of a feature to have and the PS3 is the only thing that has Max on it.

Has max chosen anything you want to watch, all the times I've used it not one thing has intrested me. On topic us netflix is far superior to the UK, but are a few things that we get they don't